Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swap Site Rules (Note to New Swappers)

chrischris Posts: 3,837Member, Moderator
PSA: There are VERY FEW actual rules on the swap site. The rules that exist are written down. You will see them clearly when you join the swap site and when you swap, list new items, leave feedback, etc.

Most of what we talk about here on the forum is personal preference or sometimes swapping strategies that are more effective than others. Every few months, some new swappers will mention things to me along the lines of dealing with all the unwritten swap rules is a little overwhelming, etc.

I hope no one feels any unnecessary pressure by swapping. Swapping is really just for fun! We have many people passionate about the topic of subscription boxes on the forum. I am definitely on that list! So I totally understand this. The forum can be extremely helpful to new swappers, but sometimes it gets a little intense as well. This will naturally happen when you have passionate people in one place.

As long as you follow the actual written swap site rules, you are doing just fine. Do not worry!

Different people have different swapping styles. If someone has a different swap style than you, it is okay. Many swaps work out. Many do not. It is really just for fun. There are a lot of swappers out there. If one swap doesn't work out, try again and eventually one will.

Comments

• TraciRheinTraciRhein Posts: 1,704Member
    Very true! I've had great swaps with people that do communicate and with those that don't :)

Everyone is very different, just remember: if you wanna swap, then swap...if ya don't, then don't...follow your own gut and turn that trash into treasure :wink: lol
    Hmmmm...emoticons aren't showing up..
  • chrischris Posts: 3,837Member, Moderator
    lisatrato said:

Some people will be nice, others will not, you still have to be true to who you are.

Thanks, @lisatrato! You actually reminded me of something I want to say as well. Hopefully this never happens to anyone on the swap site, but just in case it does... If someone is verbally abusive to you on the swap site, report this to [email protected] with details about the particular swap. This is not allowed and people have been removed from the swap site in the past for this reason.
    @lisatrato it looked a bit like crazy clapping mixed with thumbs up and all around psychosis....you know, the typical emoticon response lol
  • lisatratolisatrato Posts: 679Member
    @TraciRhein lol i was hoping it was a whole lot of those!
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,377Member
    Good post @chris
  • nelliebelle1197nelliebelle1197 Posts: 2,371Member
    Yes! Thank you. I can understand why newbs would feel there are so many rules they will never learn!
  • MariaNGMariaNG Posts: 1,605Member
    edited September 2016
    Yep. We even had the great tape battle. What should the rule be: to tape or not to tape :). I'm still not sure who won that battle.
    I know I sent out a few well taped swaps, lol. But they arrived in one piece.
    Guess I just picked a side!

Adding my thanks to @Chris for all she does here, including this post!
  • sarasara Posts: 3,112Member
    Thanks, @Chris. I hope I never come across the "verbally abusive" swapper- the snarky ones are hard enough for me to take! But it's also important as noted by others above that no amount of snarkiness means you have to do the swap that person wants. As one very nice swapper said to me when I had made a big mistake, "this is supposed to be fun!"
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
  • LeahLeah Posts: 3,495Member
    Great post, @chris!

@MariaNG Do I want to know what the Great Tape Debate was? :smiley:
    edited September 2016
    Probably not @Leah :)...It was about taping the lids of things that might leak in transit because it's hard to get some types of tape off and might ruin the looks of something you want to gift. On the other hand, if something in your swap leaks it might ruin the whole swap. And to a smaller extent, taping boxes in general.
    Again, this is all personal preference. There are NO rules about tape, lol.
  • catcat Posts: 1,921Member
    I would like to ad what @Chris said, please make sure you only list items that came from subscription boxes, non box items ad to the clutter of real box items and will get flagged. Helps to keep swaps open and look for updates. Sometimes when people cancle swaps to soon they miss out on great swap opportunities. I recommend shipping flat rate packages andboxes that can be found on the usps site. Regional a and regional b boxes as well as padded flat rate mailers can save a lot on shipping
    O M G, @MariaNG. That's ridiculous :smile: Ulta tapes the tops of shampoos, I always thought it showed a bit of caring.
  • catcat Posts: 1,921Member
    @MariaNG an idea might be using plastic wrap, or plastic bags and taping securely around the plastic in order avoid leakage
    We had a thread for that discussion somewhere...
  • OnePsychLynneOnePsychLynne Posts: 139Member
    Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get your invite to swap? It feels like I requested to join a couple of weeks ago. Is there something else I should do besides send the request or are they looking for something specific?
  • chrischris Posts: 3,837Member, Moderator
    @OnePsychLynne, it usually opens up every couple of weeks. As long as you are on the list, you should be fine. You don't need to do anything else.
  • nancytnancyt Posts: 868Member
    edited October 2016
    @chris I loved what you stated above' "Different people have different swapping styles. If someone has a different swap style than you, it is okay. Many swaps work out. Many do not. It is really just for fun. There are a lot of swappers out there. If one swap doesn't work out, try again and eventually one will". It is for fun, and it is actually Amazing that we are learning to communicate together on this site! I am still learning, I have yet to add my swap list. lol
  • mimiretzmimiretz Posts: 509Member
    The one rule I was unaware of was that opening a makeup item -- not swatching or touching in any way, just opening, made it used and therefore you could only attach an RV of 10% to it. I haven't seen this written anywhere, but in the discussion about new/used it was explained in no uncertain terms that the mere opening to check color (since a picture online was sometimes different than what an item looked like in person) made the item used. Another thread mentioned that RV for used makeup was approximately 10% of new. So putting those two together if you have a pallet that new is about $50, if you open it to look at the colors in real life, don't expect to swap it for more than $5.
    @mimiretz That is not true! Please tell me you're joking.
  • mimiretzmimiretz Posts: 509Member
    @Leah - no, go read the new/used thread. It's very plainly stated that opening (again, not sampling or in any way touching) a makeup item makes it used, not new. It has to do with exposing it to air and therefore cutting the useful life, or something like that. I had always assumed (wrongly) that if you didn't sample the product and put a note in the product description that you opened it to look at the color that you could still list it as new. I was told no, that opening it to look at it made it used, and that therefore you had to list it as used. New meant never opened, not just never used or sampled.
  • rosestarrosestar Posts: 295Member
    @mimiretz there were also people saying that opening it but not touching it was still new. The key with it is communication.
  • hays321hays321 Posts: 151Member
    When did this 10% rule apply to used items? And specifically opened items that have not been swatched? Especially an example of a palette? Opening a palette does not affect the life of the product. I would state the item had been opened and looked at, but not touched or swatched. And I think 10% sounds incredibly low... I guess it depends on the individual and what the item is worth to them.

I think maybe the "used once opened" refers to skin care items. I can see how they would be considered used because once opened, the product deteriorates.

And if I ever want to gift an item from a swap, I always do my homework and double check with the swapper on the items condition and how the item will be sent. I feel like it is my responsibility as much as it is theirs if I plan to gift. Due diligence.

I personally do not like tape! But I understand why people use it and know that the use of tape comes from a good place. I appreciate any effort made towards a successful swap.

Woo! Just my two cents :wink: