Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

USPS/Paypal shipping email

janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 776Member
I just received this notice in an email from Paypal for a shipment I had back in late January. It's less than an ounce difference and I have never had any problems before or since. Should I be concerned? I always round up whenever I package my items so I really don't see how this happened :(

"Underpaid Postage Courtesy Note
Learn more about underpaid postage and how to prevent it from happening next time.

We were recently notified by our shipping partner USPS of a postage discrepancy for a shipping label on your account. You may have made a mistake when creating a USPS shipping label. The information entered during label creation didn’t match the information captured by USPS during the shipping process.

No repayment is required for this label at this time; however, USPS has started monitoring all labels for these discrepancies and will require repayment for any future underpaid postage. If additional discrepancies occur, you may be blocked from printing shipping labels on PayPal, if you don’t pay the underpaid postage.

Details of Underpaid Postage Label

Tracking Number: *****************87487

Label Creation Date: January 26, 2017

Adjustment Reason:
Weight Mismatch
Claimed Weight: 0.56 LBS
Actual Weight: 0.62 LBS"

Comments

• BendLBBagsBendLBBags Posts: 351Member
    How strange @janemockingjay, and the "discrepancy" is .06 pounds?? That seems like such a negligible difference.
  • MandieMandie Posts: 256Member
    I received one tonight as well. The difference was .03 lbs. It really left me scratching my head because I don't think it would have charged me more at the different weight.
  • janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 776Member
    @BendLBBags yes, that's why I'm so freaked out. If they can ban me for such a small weight discrepancy I'm afraid that if my scale is off that everything I've shipped since the 28th is off too and i'm going to get bombarded with extra fees. I'm hoping that someone at the post office this package was received at was just in a bad mood that day and decided to turn in such a small difference for some reason and that none of my others are going to be reported if my scale is wrong. I thought they gave at least an ounce leeway, that's why I always round up on my package weights in case of something like this.
  • sarasara Posts: 2,899Member
    That's basically an ounce difference. It looks like it is the difference between just under 9 ounces and just under 10 ounces. I have made the mistake before of weighing my package, and then deciding it needed more bubble wrap, and that much was about an ounce difference. If it is under 8 ounces, it is one price but over that much it seems to go up each ounce. I try to add a full ounce to my packages, since I am not sure how accurate my scale is. So, if it is 7.2 ounces, I put it in a 9 ounces. I am more concerned about someone who gets my package having to pay postage, since I know that happens...
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
  • JennaJenna Posts: 55Member
    @janemockingjay I got the same email as well. .03oz, Wonder what's going on?
  • janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 776Member
    Hmmm I just did a Google search about this and it seems that within the past week there's been a lot of people getting this email. It might be a scare tactic so that they can show us how hard they're cutting down on "leaked" shipment weights. When I first started swapping, I didn't know anything about shipping and ended up sending something that was almost 3 lbs as a 9 oz package and it went through just fine, yet now that I know what I'm doing they try to give me crap about it. Seems silly but I guess I understand their perspective too since I read that a lot of Ebay/Amazon shippers "leak" weights on their packages, so I bet they're just cracking down on it.
  • JennaJenna Posts: 55Member
    So weird. It was a package from over a month ago!
  • berriesandbearsberriesandbears Posts: 280Member
    @janemockingjay I got a similar notice on Monday, my very first, but mine was for a "packaging type mismatch". Super bizarre because I weigh everything and only send first class or flat rate priority. The *only* thing that could be plausible is if they thought the first class was too heavy and shouldn't have been labeled as such. I wouldn't risk it though as I would hate to have my recipient ever have to pay postage.
  • KatieKatie Posts: 264Member
    Yeesh, this will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I wonder how the subboxes will fair, quite a few of them use 15.9 oz on the shipping labels to send heavy things first class.

@berriesandbears Perhaps you printed a Small Flat Rate and put it on a Medium FR box? I know I had an issue recently where I accidentally scrolled to media mail instead of first class and printed that label off, then had to request a refund for it. I also recently had one swapper put a Large FR shipping label on a HUGE priority mail box (not a FR one), and also had someone in my family not once but TWICE send me items priority mail in a priority mail express envelope - I owed over $10 each time :(
    @Katie Eek! That's a lot of money to receive those goods! Although not impossible, I think it's pretty unlikely. I only use the padded flat rate and medium flat rate and whenever I print, I double check and make sure the charges make sense. I think I have emailed copies from Paypal so perhaps I'll take a quick peek at the package in question.
    edited February 17
    @Katie So I just checked and it was a first class package that had a couple lipsticks and a hair product; pretty sure it came in under a pound including the box, I wonder what gives? I think I will be a little more conservative in entering weights going forward.

Secretly I think it was my disgruntled mail lady...the same one who has marked packages picked up when they haven't been and packages not found when they were on my front porch and she delivered another package at the same time >:)
  • nehaneha Posts: 1,030Member
  • lotusflower13lotusflower13 Posts: 1,432Member
    I have a question. I've just recently started using my USPS. Is it easy to use their shipping? I just always take my packages to the post office, but I was wondering if I'd be better off using their labels instead. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that they can pick up at your house if you use this? Do you just leave your packages outside?
    @lotusflower13 I haven't used my USPS to print labels, instead I use Paypal. However, I have scheduled a pick up many a time and this is super easy and quick to set up (and free!) to pick up from your home. You could leave the packages outside, but there's also a few other options from a drop down menu including "knock on door/ring doorbell" so if someone is home and able to hand off the package, might be a safer bet in keeping temptation at bay for package thieves. Then again, it depends on how *ahem* willing your mail man/woman is in actually following through on picking up the packages. Where I live there is a small group of regular USPS mail providers and some are awesome and do their job well, while others...have a lot of room for improvement!
  • californiajanetcaliforniajanet Posts: 236Member
    I just got this email as well! Mine was from Jan 31, and said I'd claimed .5 and it was .57. Crazy! I guess I better start adding an ounce or so on to what my scale says, to be safe.
  • HeatheryHeathery Posts: 1,313Member
    Wow, I haven't received this email yet, and I do a lot of shipping for my job too. I guess I'll be on the lookout for it. :/

Swap Profile ~*~ Goodreads ~*~ PaperBackSwap Profile
    "Be strong," I whispered fervently to my wifi signal.

• cmiller512cmiller512 Posts: 1,463Member
    I just had a package returned to me earlier this week claiming postage due and it was weighed and sent by the mailroom at my office. Its weird all around! The guy in the mailroom said that USPS recently changed their rates so maybe that has something to do with it?!? I would think that packages already sent or in transit shouldn't be affected by new rates but when it comes to the PO, who knows..its just weird!! I have some packages to send today, I'm going to be EXTRA careful!!
  • SouthernPrincessSouthernPrincess Posts: 270Member
    I just had two pkgs sent back with 'postage needed'. When we went to the post office (because it had been weighed and printed in the actual post office not on paypal) - the lady said they are no longer allowed to ship anything with a padded envelope as first class 'large envelope'.

So I had to change it to 'package first class'.

Really weird because it was literally something very flat inside the envelope, she said the padding (bible liner inside) disqualifies it. Weird weird weird.
  • HeatheryHeathery Posts: 1,313Member
    @SouthernPrincess Well, that's weird anyway because the PayPal option says "First Class Envelope/Lg Package." So it seems like it should cover both.

Honestly, I feel like so many postal workers just make it up as they go along.

Swap Profile ~*~ Goodreads ~*~ PaperBackSwap Profile
    "Be strong," I whispered fervently to my wifi signal.

• laurablaurab Posts: 539Member
    wow, I hope they dont start making it too inconvenient to use the online system because if so, i can only ship on thursdays, that's the only day im off when the po is open, my 2nd day off being sunday. My office hours are longer than the po hours so on workdays i cant go. Another concern, i weigh my packages and then put the label on with clear tape so that would add to the weight... I wonder are we supposed to include that with the cost? i figure at the po they weigh it before the label is added...so...?
  • BitsofWhimsyBitsofWhimsy Posts: 59Member
    This happened to me on a swap! I used a scale and everything to weigh it and they made my swap partner pay an extra dollar. It was so incredibly frustrating.
  • RainRain Posts: 691Member
    About the weight that adding a label adds: I measured it once, and it can bump a package up enough that you would need to round up 1 oz. So I started adding that in when I shipped stuff. I haven't received an email about my personal shipping, but I ship stuff for work, and if my boss gets an email about this, he will be upset. :(
  • birdertonbirderton Posts: 327Member
    I got the same email just this week about a package from Jan 28th. Mine was also off by .3 oz. I think I'm more aggravated by it than anything. We give the post office A LOT of business and I feel like they are doing themselves a disservice by nickel and diming us. Or as it may be, sending us passive aggressive messages about the fact that they can nickel and dime us.
  • janeyjaney Posts: 216Member
    I don't use PayPal labels, but I swapped away literally two of the same thing, and the first time the PO charged me first class, and the second time, the PO charged me priority. I was baffled and told the second guy that I was charged first class rate just a few days ago and he was really adamant that it wasn't possible, so I had to pay the priority rate. Can't really argue with them if you want your things mailed out :(
    Swapping has broken my wallet. I'd love to get my DISOs and ISOs, and slow down on swapping for good.

DISO || Baggu Duck Bag in Sailor Stripe - just swapped this away for a DISO.
    check my profile for other follows. I do have unlisted items to offer.
  • ducktorwhoducktorwho Posts: 423Member
    @janey The weight limit for First Class is supposed to be 16 oz, but some post offices and maybe some PO workers haven't ever gotten on board with that even though it happened over a year ago. So, maybe you got one PO worker who knew and another who didn't. If you ship through paypal, they allow up to 16 oz though.
  • TiskersTiskers Posts: 381Member
    Ohmyword! I haven't gotten a message yet, but I'll be in the look-out.

So I am a little confused... can someone please clarify?

Is the PO complaining because of TOO little postage on a package? Or just ANY discrepancy between weight and amount paid? (Because I ALWAYS round up, maybe even an ounce or 2... in case I need more tape on the package when wrapping it up, or wanna add extra padding at the last minute... or to just be extra sure my swap buddy doesn't get a "postage due"...). HELP!

Real name is Lynn. So happy to be here! <3
    http://swap.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/user/23860/profile
  • janeyjaney Posts: 216Member
    @ducktorwho actually, that is very good information to have! thank you :)
    Swapping has broken my wallet. I'd love to get my DISOs and ISOs, and slow down on swapping for good.

DISO || Baggu Duck Bag in Sailor Stripe - just swapped this away for a DISO.
    check my profile for other follows. I do have unlisted items to offer.
  • LisaBLisaB Posts: 1,618Member
    Add me to the list..got my email yesterday. Mine wasn't about weight though. It said Packaging type mismatch