Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keep nails pretty when opening and packaging boxes - any tips? (no pun intended)

SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 103Member
edited February 17 in General
Hi, everyone! I feel like I ruin my nails every time I have to open a bunch of well-taped packages or package things myself (especially when I need to remove old shipping labels first). Any tips on how to keep them looking nice without compromising my sub and swap addiction? :D

Any tips in general for the most efficient way of packaging swaps? I love swapping but find packaging rather time-consuming. During my last round of swaps, I copied the addresses into a Word document to print and cut, which was way faster than writing each one out! Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

Comments

• AnnemAnnem Posts: 733Member
    Hi - I use wide tip black sharpies to cross out old packaging labels (instead of and ripping them off and ruining my nails). I use paypal to print labels for my packages...
  • EtherOrchidEtherOrchid Posts: 97Member
    I wear gloves and use a box cutter. I also copy,paste print my addresses but it's mostly because I'm afraid I will transpose a number and send the package to the wrong place.
  • SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 103Member
    @Annem Could you tell me a little more about how PayPal shipping works? I'm not sure this would be an option for me since I don't have a mail scale, but it would be nice to know for future reference.

@EtherOrchid I honestly never would have thought to wear gloves while opening boxes, but that's not a bad idea. I don't know why I didn't think to copy and paste the addresses and print them sooner, cause I also was always afraid I entered the wrong zip code or made some other error!
  • KristyKristy Posts: 1,001Member
    I always get gel manicures. I used to spend time to paint my nails and they'd just be ruined in a day or two :( I use an x-acto knife to open boxes.
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 620Member
    Similar to @Annem, I often use fun-patterned duct tape from the dollar store to cover old labels rather than peel them off.
    Oooo, @entwashian I like that idea. I have been covering some old labels with paper and shipping tape, but then I go through my shipping tape so quickly! It seems like a waste of both tape and paper. @Kristy I've gotten very good at doing at-home manicures, but my polish seems to crack much faster when I am handling packages. I need to buy an x-acto knife for sure. I'm always afraid of cutting myself, so I need to find one that's clutz-proof, haha.
  • seuss516seuss516 Posts: 80Member
    @SamanthaL I've tagged you in a 'How to Swap with a Canadian' thread from a while back. The PayPal shipping instructions on page 1 are very thorough. Just ignore the international shipping part and it's the same for US. The only issue I found is make sure you go to the PayPal site and sign in and then enter the link www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create to get to the correct page. It's worked great for me and allows you to choose first class or priority - which the USPS site won't. Best of luck.
    Thanks, @seuss516 ! The best discovery I made since I started swapping is that the post office by my work is better than the post office by my house. The one by my work has a self-service machine and it's SO much faster than waiting in line! A majority of the time I go, there is no one using the machine and I'm able to have it all to myself as I pay for postage for 5 packages in one transaction, lol.
    @SamanthaL here is mine. You hold it like a pencil so you can cut precisely. It's safe (I haven't hurt myself yet) and has a cap for storage.
    IMG_4825.JPG
    1366 x 2048 - 3M
    @Kristy I need that in my life. Where did you get it, and does it have a particular brand name or description? I'm not sure how to search for that online. Thanks!
    It's by Fiskars @SamanthaL. I'm sure I picked it up at a craft store like Michaels.
  • finlidanfinlidan Posts: 1,036Member
    @SamanthaL it's called the Fiskars Fingertip Detail Knife
    Thank you, @Kristy and @finlidan !