Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you do with retired makeup brushes?

LaurenelizabethLaurenelizabeth Posts: 150Member
edited February 17 in Free Stuff
In the past few years I've bought way too many makeup brushes and since reading spark joy I thought I should get rid of these older makeup brushes. But I have a ton and feel bad just throwing them away. Would anyone want to take them off of my hands? I can wash them and douse them in alcohol. There are some nice ones...tarte, Sephora, urban decay, real techniques, sigma, and Bh cosmetics. If the idea of this doesn't gross you out let me know! :)

Comments

• HeatheryHeathery Posts: 1,302Member
    Use them as paintbrushes. :D Ok but no, I've really done this before. :D :D :D
  • LaurenelizabethLaurenelizabeth Posts: 150Member
    @Heathery I've used some already as paintbrushes! But there's probably 30 or 40 more!
  • lotusflower13lotusflower13 Posts: 1,260Member
    Speaking of makeup brushes. Before I look it up does anyone know how to use the liquid blendercleanser? It says it can be used on brushes too and I got rid of the info packet from the Allure beauty box.
  • lizy7lizy7 Posts: 85Member
    @Laurenelizabeth I'm interested! I sent you a message.
  • careybcareyb Posts: 910Member
    @lotusflower13 I use the belnder cleaner on ALL my makeup brushes and it works better than brush cleaner in my opinion. I wet the brush, pump once and just swirlt he brush around in it in the palm of my hand. It usually takes a few washes for the water to run clear, it's amazing and gross how much comes out. lol

I then brush them, downwards on a clean towel, trying to keep the form and shape and lay them on the counter to dry, on it's side of course, not upright. never had any issues. :-)

Hope this helps
  • lotusflower13lotusflower13 Posts: 1,260Member
    @careyb yes that's very helpful. Thank you so much. I had stupidly swapped it away and then I needed it and swapped for it, but didn't have the booklet anymore.
    That stuff is so good too! I literally have tried at least two dozen types of brush cleansers, from the $4 a bottle stuff all the way up to $30 for dept makeup counter versions and nothing worked as well. I have the big pump bottle so I will have some for years to come. lol
  • EugeniaColeEugeniaCole Posts: 3Member
    Nice stuff
  • ladyfoxladyfox Posts: 3Member
    I know this post is a bit old but I just found out that certain animal sanctuaries use Mascara wands to brush the animals and they rid of eggs that can be deposited by , fleas & other bugs , just wash them throughly,
    Hope this helps
  • flirtmdflirtmd Posts: 415Member
    @careyb I was told never to dry brushes by lying them flat. Always dry with bristles down (even if you need to lean them against something) so they don't rust. This will also keep the from losing bristles or hairs.
    @flirtmd I usually dry them VERY well before placing the brushes down if I am feeling ambitious I will put the "brush nets" on them so they keep their form. :-) This works well for most brushes but the big fluffy ones I dry upright so they don't get flat on one side. lol
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,022Member
    @flirtmd @careyb Ipsy has a brush-drying "hack" up on their website for people who received a brush this month: using a ponytail holder to tie the handle of the brush to a towel rack, so that the brush can dry with the bristles pointing down.

I think it's a good idea, & I'm going to try it next time I wash my brushes.
  • mimiretzmimiretz Posts: 467Member
    @entwashian What a great idea! Although to be honest, I rarely actually wash my brushes. I always spray them with the Sephora spray-on cleaner immediately after use, wipe them dry on a paper towel, and then put them back in my holder (a paint bucket looking thingie I got at Container Store).