Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think about used beauty

sarah4770sarah4770 Posts: 19Member
I use to assume that all listed were new and unopened, but never realized swappers were putting used on the site. How exactly do you sanitize a lipstick or an eye product. having said that, I can see where I would try something, not like it. But i usually give it to my mom or daughter or throw it away. On the other hand, we are all people. what are your thoughts about used beauty?

Comments

• lallenlallen Posts: 192Member
    the only time I listed used beauty was when I had the tatcha cream from the Byrdie box. It reacted poorly with my skin but no way was that going in the trash! That said, it was marked as used and I also included pictures of it.

I actually currently have a swap pending where I would be receiving an item that has been "swatched" and I'm uneasy about it. Who can say if my idea of swatched and your idea are the same?
    Here's a question - I've never done this, but - how would people feel if they received used beauty (for the sake of argument, let's say FOLLOWED used beauty) as an extra in a swap? I've definitely wanted to include someone's followed as an extra but I used the product once when I first received it. I don't want to gross them out but... it's an extra!

Thoughts?
  • SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 947Member
    I would never want a swatched lipstick, and my eyes are super sensitive, so I'm wary of used eye makeup (I don't even borrow makeup from close friends). I'm more open to skincare, especially if the packaging doesn't require that you dip your fingers into the product (e.g. in a tube or pump, or dispensed through a tear dropper), though I was pretty upset when someone sent an item that had a "Tester" sticker on it when it was marked as new, PLUS it was the wrong product anyway. I got a used lip gloss as an extra one time and thought that was gross, but I thought maybe the swapper passed it along from another swap and didn't notice that the seal was half broken and color was smudged at the end of the tip in a clear gloss. I tossed it. I've swapped some of my lightly used beauty products, but I always marked what was used, even if it was just tried once or twice and could visibly pass as new. If I don't like a lipstick that I tried, I give it to my mom, cause I can't imagine anyone else wanting something that I put on my lips, lol. Honesty is key!
  • Megan33Megan33 Posts: 155Member
    @lallen I recently received skincare items, that were clearly used, as an extra. I threw them out. As much as I appreciated the swapper trying to find extras that were similar to my follows...there was no conversation about it like a comment such as "I just used this once" or "swatched this on the back of my hand". So therefore, I had no way of knowing how used it actually was and, not to mention, having to take the word of a stranger. If it was someone I had several successful swaps with, and they had mentioned it like "hey I have this product you're following, I swatched it once, would you want me to throw it in as an extra" then it MIGHT be a different story.
  • ducktorwhoducktorwho Posts: 430Member
    I swatched a lip balm from Julep on the back of my hand. I have it listed for swap. I'm hoping someone will swap for it since I don't want it, but I also personally probably wouldn't swap for a used item unless it was in a squirt bottle (like the peel from the January Popsugar box). I'm sort of a germaphobe though.
    @Megan33 @flingo noted!! I will stay away from used beauty extras :) That's sort of what I figured but sounds like quite the consensus. Now I don't even have to give it another thought
  • HappyCatHappyCat Posts: 1,138Member
    edited March 9
    I've had quite a few samples that I've tried and didn't like. I normally list them free with a swap on the swap site, and surprisingly this moves them along.
  • House06House06 Posts: 963Member
    @SamanthaL @MariaNG I agree with both of you. I think it really just depends. I have received items that I thought might not have been new and I threw them away. On the other hand I have gotten items that have been swatched or sprayed once and I was ok with it. Lip and eye products - NO - not for me. I also am a little hesitant when most of a swapper's beauty listings are swatched or used only once. I think it is important to let the swapper know and then let that person decide? It is very disappointing to get items that you swap for that are obviously used that you expected to be new :(

• Ponder88Ponder88 Posts: 674Member
    edited March 9
    I don't really use beauty products, but I know plenty of men who do as that is more and more a thing in this era of metrosexual guys and such. That said, I have never heard anyone say they like the idea of using a beauty product that isn't brand-new, or which was used by someone they don't know and I agree--e.g. I would be pretty weirded out if anyone besides my wife borrowed my deodorant, etc.
  • moniquemonique Posts: 722Member
    I have no problem if someone has warned me about a swatch on a tissue or the bavk of their hand. I would NEVER do that to anyone else, I had an OCD mom about germs so I can relate to people who freak out. Personally, just be honest and it depends on the product.

I was in an accident and can only wear eyeshadow sticks due to scar tissue. I have no problem using alcohol wipes to disinfect them, at all. For most it's hard to tell the shadow stick without trying it on their eyes. I mean what's a minor case of pinkeye anyway hahhaha I kid I kid. I LOVE my eyeshadow sticks
  • BlackberryBlackberry Posts: 1,377Member
    Would never use an eye or lip product that was not sealed or clearly unused. Spray product is no problem and I've swapped for used nail polish. I give all of my tried/didn't like items to a young woman at my church who is a hopeful model. She loves everything and we know each other and she can see that I'm not walking around with suppurations, herpes and pinkeye. Used makeup that has touched another person seems like a Petri dish of disaster. Nope.
  • chicasayshichicasayshi Posts: 31Member
    edited March 9
    I personally wouldn't use used cosmetics only because of the risks involved. I took a microbiology class in college, and I can tell you that some highly infectious diseases can be spread through sharing other people products. For example herpes simplex one aka the herpes that will give you a cold sore on your lips or other areas around your face, hands, does spread through sharing products as well among other ways. I'm just saying in general uses products are always a concern, and I'm not saying everyone on this forum has an infectious disease but that using uses products does pose a risk.
    my doctor did recommend that using other people's products is risky. However, if some people want to use them that's up to the persons discretion.
    I wouldn't swap for anything that's used, but I wouldn't hold it against people that do.
    This is a great that you asked.
  • mycatbuttersmycatbutters Posts: 735Member
    It's probably not worth it to include as extras since you probably have to pay a little more postage and make sure it's sealed so it doesn't leak. That being said, if I was following eyeshadows, blushers, eye pencils etc and someone included a swatched one with a note that it didn't work for them, I would probably try it out to see if I still wanted to trade for it.
  • rachelnycrachelnyc Posts: 705Member
    I'm in the same boat as a lot of people–I might be open to it, but it'd be really situationally dependent. If I knew for a fact (or strongly trusted) that someone swatched a powder or other pan makeup with an applicator and didn't actually touch the makeup with their hands, I'd be ok with that. If it's something like a spray or a pump or most squeeze tubes/bottles, that also seems okay. And a big fat no to anything with a wand/dip applicator (like lip gloss, concealer, liquid shadow, liquid liner).

I wouldn't trust used items in general thought unless I knew someone reasonably well...I'm too squicked out by the idea of all the potential germies. I used to work at Sephora and was so horrified by the number of people who would apply communal lip gloss & mascara testers–straight from the package no less, not even with a disposable wand–before I could stop them. ICK X 10000000. Meanwhile, I have a used palette (tested once with cotton) that I've been thinking of listing on the "tried it" group, but who knows if anyone will want it, lol.
  • House06House06 Posts: 963Member
    edited March 9
    @rachelnyc you might be surprised at the number of people willing to try your pallete ! I am not a germaphobic person but I have gotten to the point that I just about will not use eye or lip products that even my own beloved daughters ( who share my DNA) have used. Unless of course it is a serious makeup emergency :)
  • ZuZusPetalsZuZusPetals Posts: 842Member
    I'm fine trading for used spray containers, pumps, or hand creams/lotions that come in a tube. To borrow @rachelnyc 's words, I am too "squicked out" by other types of used products. Even if others may want them, I don't feel comfortable listing.

Also, I wouldn't want used cosmetics listings to cast doubt on whether any of my other listings are, in fact, new. In the rare case I want to list or trade for used products, I'm grateful for the "I tried it" thread on the forum, and will try to gauge interest there first.
  • lynndeannelynndeanne Posts: 371Member
    Check out ProjectBeautyShare-- they have a website. They specifically state they will take gently used items. (Not one that is almost empty, but something you tried a few times.) There's another thread on here titled "What to do with gently used makeup?" that has a post from a makeup artist and a really interesting post from a forum user who was homeless at one time.

Personally -- I wouldn't add a used item as an extra. If people want to post them and mark as used, I think that is fine. I think we all have our ideas of what is OK (I wouldn't have a problem with used nail polish, for example) so I think it is OK with disclosure.

I also see a LOT of used beauty stuff on my local Craigslist and on Ebay. I am a little amazed that people will drive around to pick up a half-used bottle of a cheap shampoo, but if it makes them happy...
  • LeahLeah Posts: 3,372Member
    @rachelnyc Go for it. I just swapped a used palette; I got three requests within a few hours.
  • mimiretzmimiretz Posts: 483Member
    I would agree that pumps, sprays, hand lotion tubes as long as properly identified are okay. I also agree that nail polish, again properly identified as used, is okay -- everyone who gets a professional manicure uses already-used nail polish unless you bring your own (I do, just because if it chips I can repair it). I do swatch my lipsticks, but on paper, so if anyone ever wanted one that I have and understood that, I'd have no problem swapping it -- it's never touched skin at all, not even the back of my hand. As far as anything else, nope. There's just too much of a chance of disease and I don't think that spraying or wiping with alcohol is enough. Yeah, I guess you can re-sharpen a pencil, or cut off the end of a lipstick or eye shadow stick, but seriously, wouldn't it be easier to find/buy a new one?
  • lynndeannelynndeanne Posts: 371Member
    Check out ProjectBeautyShare -- just add dot org and you'll find it. They specifically state they will take gently used items. (Not one that is almost empty, but something you tried a few times.) There's another thread on here titled "What to do with gently used makeup?" that has a post from a makeup artist and a really interesting post from a forum user who was homeless at one time.

Personally -- I wouldn't add a used item as an extra. If people want to post them and mark as used, I think that is fine. I think we all have our ideas of what is OK (I wouldn't have a problem with used nail polish, for example) so I think it is OK with disclosure.

I also see a LOT of used beauty stuff on my local Craigslist and on Ebay. I am a little amazed that people will drive around to pick up a half-used bottle of a cheap shampoo, but if it makes them happy...
  • KnitrexKnitrex Posts: 98Member
    @lynndeanne you're kidding right? I won't even get upholstered furniture or other cloth items from Craigslist, I couldn't even imagine makeup!!!
  • MishaFazeliMishaFazeli Posts: 117Member
    When I started swapping recently I never ever thought I'd list used beauty, but I realized with certain items if you give a super clear explanation, people are not put off by it at all. I recently got the milk makeup blur stick and literally run one swipe on the back of my hand, never touched my face or make up brushes or anything, and since I knew it was a popular item I decided to list it and have still had tons of requests!

In general though I am very conservative and sometimes think I'm listing things as used that other people are listing as new....I've just been on the receiving end a few too many times and hate it when something was listed as new but feels like its been rolling around in someones drawer for a year and opened up
  • SusanDSusanD Posts: 108Member
    Since I have started I have listed definitely one item as used after posting this type question here on the forum. Since then the 'I've tried it and didn't like it" post came about ....which is a great idea. I disclosed everything. One was an item with a pump. I pumped it once and I wrote that and marked as new I think although I went back and forth on that one after feedback on my post. The other was a lip product that had a pad at the end. To really see the color I had to click product into it and ended up hating it. I clearly wrote this and marked as used even though it wasn't physically used. It just seemed right at the time. I have swapped for it. Before I accepted the swap though I messaged the swapper and made sure she saw what I wrote on the listing and Waited for her reply so I knew she knew what she was getting. I am not sure if I personally would swap for used items, I guess it depends on what it is, but there is no harm in listing as long as you are honest about how and why is was used. Then it's up to The other swapper. I do suggest messaging them like I did to make sure they read the listing properly this way there is proof you are on there same page. Worse case you can always delete the listing if you are uncomfortable
  • whitpickwhitpick Posts: 696Member
    I wouldn't mind at all if it came from the "Tried it, didn't like it, want to swap for it?" feed or if it was used from a swapper I'd swapped with before, and something I really wanted. As others have said, though, disclosure is key. I recently swapped for something where the other person said they tested it and didn't like the consistency and I was fine with that.