Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paying for Subcriptions

nelliebelle1197nelliebelle1197 Posts: 2,144Member
edited April 7 in Reference
I just want to throw something out for newbies and neophytes to sub universe.

We have had a few subs go under, issues with subs not living up to promises, etc. If at all possible, don't buy your subs with debit cards, cash through Paypal or prepaid debit cards. These financial products have different rules and regulations for chargebacks. In many cases, especially with bank debits, they don't even have to work with you on this. And using cash through Paypal is an invitation to lose money because of the time limits and difficulty accessing people. This is especially true for older pre-paid annual subs, etc.

I have a real credit card attached to a Paypal account so I have the convenience of Paypal and the protection of a credit card. I have observed through all these threads over the last couple years that the best way to save yourself on hassle and loss is to just use a regular old fashioned card when possible. A lot of people are recommending Discover in the LLB thread. I have Chase and did have to get a little feisty to get a full refund, but it worked!

Just a thought and hope to save someone else from the nightmare of a terrible experience! Getting your money back is the best way to mitigate the pain of a dead sub!

Comments

• HeatheryHeathery Posts: 1,302Member
    I prefer not to use credit cards because it's an invitation for me to spend more money than I have, plus have to pay interest.

That said, I'm regretting using my debit card on LLB lol. :'(
  • nelliebelle1197nelliebelle1197 Posts: 2,144Member
    @Heathery I still love you. That makes it better, right??
  • exateraexatera Posts: 103Member
    @Heathery I am not understanding this - why, what happened because you used a debit card for that subscription?
    @nelliebelle1197 Absolutely! :#

@exatera LLB folded as a company. Many people have been able to file chargebacks on their credit cards, but since I used a debit card, I basically have no recourse. All I can do is hope that LLB actually issues me the $60 I am due. My bank cannot do anything.
  • exateraexatera Posts: 103Member
    Ah, interesting, I would have never thought of that. Good to know.
  • Jennifer3141Jennifer3141 Posts: 2,452Member
    @heathery I used a debit card issued via my credit union in all of my dealings with LLB. I contacted my CU on the Monday following the e-mail. They are issuing me a chargeback. I provided basic info about the situation and had to sign a form. All of this was done via e-mail and took less than 15 minutes.

Again, I have a debit card not a credit card.

I would urge you to contact your bank again, and this time speak to someone higher up in the food chain. I'm no expert, but my experience proves that there absolutely is recourse for us debit card users.
  • mimiretzmimiretz Posts: 467Member
    I used a credit union debit card. My credit union asked me to wait another week, simply because if LLB does issue a refund then I'll be getting a double credit. I find this perfectly logical, and am willing to wait the extra week. My credit union said that if in another week LLB has not issued a refund, then they will and it will be their funds (meaning the credit union's funds) that will be used. Again, this is a debit card. Perhaps it's because it's a credit union and not a bank that makes it different? I have no idea how credit cards plan to handle the matter, if in fact LLB does issue a refund.
  • DonnaDonna Posts: 211Member
    @nelliebelle1197 Hi. I'm not too smart about these things so I wanted to ask....when you say paying with PayPal cash, does that mean paying with your PayPal balance? For example, Pusheen box, charged me for an annual box accidentally. When I brought this to their attention, they immediately refunded me and this was through PayPal so I have a $180 something PayPal balance which I have been using to pay for things including a couple of new subscription boxes. Is that paying with PayPal cash? Thanks...I'm an old bird who isn't too swift on this kind of stuff.
    @Donna either your balance or a direct withdrawal from a linked bank account.

I think the rotten trollop @Jennifer3141 is having good luck because 1) credit union, not traditional bank; and 2) she is a rotten trollop.
    Aw I hope it's not just a credit union thing, @nelliebelle1197 because our dear @Heathery uses a bank. I still say she should give it another try, this time talking to someone higher up.

And I'm a trollop, but not a rotten one. AndyD says I'm very sweet. :)
  • KristyKristy Posts: 1,808Member
    @Jennifer3141 is yours a Visa or MasterCard branded debit? Mine is Visa and they said I can do a chargeback (Credit Union also). Does that make me a trollup too? :naughty:
    @Jennifer3141 I hope so too, because I lurve my l'il raisin @Heathery! But the dealio with credit unions is that you are a member so some of the rules are different. But yeah, I would not take that no as a final answer!

And that is NOT what he told me about you...
  • House06House06 Posts: 894Member
    @Heathery - I know you said you dont want to use a CC but how about one with a very low limit that you only used for sub boxes?

We did those with our daugthers to help them build credit...
    I also use debit card/paypal didnt have the LLB dilemma Thank Goodness-

I am thinking about getting a low limit CC though just for this purpose
    @Kristy It's a Visa debit card. I have to talk to my CU today about something else. I'll ask about the policy for the non-Visa/MC type. I really hate that @Heathery could be caught out in the cold by this.

And you are as trollop-y as you wanna be. :) Only your heart can answer that question. o:)
  • lotusflower13lotusflower13 Posts: 1,260Member
    @nelliebelle1197 my credit is awful and I'm slowly rebuilding it, so I can't get a credit card except for the ones where you have to put money down first. My thinking is that I'll wait until I've rebuilt my credit to be able to qualify for a card. Initially the bad credit was not my fault. I had a family member when I was 18 put things in my name and never pay them. I couldn't fight it because I didn't find out until after he passed away, this was my lovely father. Then in my late twenties I got all these credit cards and got myself into debt and trouble. Now in my mid thirties I just started checking my credit score and paying things off that at are on there, but not close to the 7-10 year limit. It's a work in progress, but I'm slowly seeing my credit improve.
    New plan, everyone have @nelliebelle1197 call your bank on your behalf and have her chew them out kindly negotiate for a chargeback to your account ;)

Such profound words of wisdom @Jennifer3141 :)
    @lotusflower13 I have a friend who filed for bankruptcy after his HIV went into remission (he thought he was a goner and guess what?!!). He was able to use those put money down cards to rebuild his credit fairly quickly- it is worth a shot. Also have you looked into this?

https://www.clearpoint.org/
    @Kristy I have done this for people. I am really good at getting refunds!
    @nelliebelle1197 I haven't thought of it and thank you for the link, I'll be calling for sure.
    @lotusflower13 it's a nonprofit and we used to have a partnership with them here where I work. It used to be called Consumer Credit Counseling.
    @nelliebelle1197 thank you for sharing it with me. I have about 3,500 worth of collections on my credit report, but one will be paid off this Thursday. I try to set up payment arrangements when I can, but that would really help me out.
    I have no doubt @nelliebelle1197! I think its a good thing! I am more intimidating in person than over the phone. :)
    @Jennifer3141 Aw I appreciate it. I'm honestly not TOO torn up about it though. Like I'm annoyed, but not losing any sleep over it. I'll probably try my bank again next week since more time will have passed with still no refund from LLB.
  • NyxNyx Posts: 1,392Member
    edited April 7
    I have long used a single, low value credit card for anything online, including being linked to my paypal. If anything did happen (knock wood) they wouldn't get much because I have always refused their kind offers to raise the credit limit on this one card. I want one low-limit card for this stuff, it just feels safer to me.
  • PamPam Posts: 1,902Member
    @Heathery I used to work at a bank. You can definitely dispute a debit card charge. that said, its alittle more hassle since you have to sign paperwork and go into a bank, but you definitely can.
    @Pam I sound like a 12 year old on the phone, and I have phone anxiety, so I'm a pushover to most places lol. I'll try again next week.