Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wonder if the mailman hates me? I hope not, he has my breakables!

janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 493
I have the greatest mailman in the world. There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't have at least 3 or 4 packages that get delivered (or sent out), be it swaps or subs, and he is always very careful and if it doesn't fit easily in my mailbox he will bring them right up to my front door and leave them for me all wrapped together in a nice little bundle where they're easy to pick up and everything. I have the same two mailmen on my route at all times (a father/son team) so it's not a lot of different people delivering or anything.

I feel kinda bad about them having to haul all my boxes each day since they're always so nice to me and thorough with my deliveries. Do you all usually do anything special for your postal workers since they go through so much with all our boxes as a kind of a peace offering?

I gave them gift cards at Christmas as a thank you but once a year just doesn't feel like enough for how hard they work for me so I just wanted to get feedback on everyone else's experience with it and how you handle the endless stream of packages :)

Comments

• careybcareyb Posts: 904
    When I was younger my parents would give the mailman and garbage men bottles of liquor. lol I think that's frowned upon now and people say you legally can't "tip" them but what about a small inexpensive item? Maybe a small fan for the truck that clips on, I know my mail people always look super hot and annoyed while delivering. Or maybe bake a batch of cookies or muffins? That can't seriously be considered tipping but it shows your appreciation.

I don't have that issue though, my mail people pretty much suck. They jam every inch of my mailbox full and rarely pick up when I request a pickup. So my guys aren't getting any tasty cookies anytime soon .lol
  • janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 493
    @careyb I was thinking of making one of my cheesecakes to give to them but then I was like "Is that weird in this day and age? Are they going to think I am secretly trying to poison them?" Haha, the fan is a great idea though! I mean, even if they've got a/c 99.9% of the time they have to have their window down so I'm sure a fan would be a good gift. Thanks for the idea :smiley:
  • AdelineAdeline Posts: 235
    @janemockingjay I agree, I think my mail man is pretty awesome too but I just recently started working for USPS... And learned that they are really strict when it comes to what we can accept from customers. I'm even afraid to accept a frapucinno, but I work in a post office with lots of prying eyes.

A big dollar amount item is definitely a no no. I thought about getting mine a corsickle or a swell, those things would be awesome. I was told that home baked goods are ok because they don't really have a monetary value but at the same time is thoughtful. Oh yes I hear the mail truck is usually awful, no AC and no radio. So maybe a fan or Bluetooth speaker would be nice too. Hope that helps
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 1,998
    @Adeline Congrats on the new job!

My mail lady is a crotchety old stoner but after she made a number of snarky comments about my boxes and her loudly dumping them on my porch I decided to make an effort to be nice to her. I make sure to greet her and ask how she's doing. I put a stand on my porch so that she could place packages there instead of bending down to place them on the ground. I give her munchies to say thank you. She's still a grumpy lady but less so with me now.
  • LunaLuna Posts: 872
    While I've been fortunate enough to have friendly mail carriers (from all shipping companies), I've never understood why mail carriers would be in such a huff with all of our boxes. This is what they signed up for when they chose to work as a mail carrier, and this is job security for them.
  • AdelineAdeline Posts: 235
    @boxjoy thanks. It's the weirdest thing we have this super nice old lady mail carrier in my post office but she is kinda grumpy to customers lol.

Btw, saiza was just saying she flagged some whisky promo items from a men's sub that usually send ties and cuff links so that's why I included the link.
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 1,998
    I was grumpy when I worked customer service. I'm so glad I don't do it anymore. I don't have the personality for it. Although most people are kind, there are always a handful of people who treat service employees terribly.

When someone is grumpy at work and everyone else is happy I assume the issue is that person. When everyone at a business is grumpy I assume it's the business and just avoid using their services. Unfortunately the postal service and the DMV are two services I can't entirely avoid but I do love my postal kiosk and my ability to renew my drivers license online!
  • lalalalalala Posts: 686
    I love my regular mail lady. We give her snacky gifts at Christmas, because we know we can't give her too much with the weird rules. I wish I could give her more. She's fantastic!!!

That being said - when you encounter grumpy people in the world, the best way is to try to turn their attitude somewhat around. Or approach things like the PO and DMV with a positive attitude. I was thanked multiple times (by the doctors and nurses, etc) at the hospital yesterday for being fun and positive. I told them there is no other way I should be toward them. Plus it make life better all around.
  • mycatbuttersmycatbutters Posts: 621
    The rules about tipping from USPS

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Exec­utive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.

I had an ebay friend that would leave a cold bottled water out when she had large ebay pickups.
  • janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 493
    Ah I've got it! Thanks for all the tips guys, you helped me figure out what I'm going to get them! I have one of those cups that keeps your drinks cold for 24 hours so I think they'll really like one of those and also a little bluetooth speaker and a cheesecake. I think that will be a pretty cool gift and it's very non specific since I don't know their actual likes and dislikes :smiley:
  • SJPSJP Posts: 1,694
    Lots of great advice here!

I mostly had to post because I kept reading this in the middle of the night as "I wonder if the mailman hates me I hope not because he has my breakfast" & I thought that was funny & wondered why your mailman had your breakfast! :smiley:

(But then I wished my mailman would bring me breakfast. :D )
  • RubymomRubymom Posts: 18
    Perishable baked goods don't violate ethics codes and my postman appreciates it. Gave him big, warm slice of homemade orange cranberry bread yesterday. Plus I try to meet him at box when I am getting multiple packages.
  • DonnaDonna Posts: 181
    I give my mail carrier a $20 gift card a couple times a year. Usually a gas card or a Starbucks card.
  • PamPam Posts: 1,849
    I leave $20 at Christmas time in a card and usually get a thank you note. @mycatbutters are you saying hes not allowed to keep it? So where does the money go? I send out tons of box, a handful a day and usually get a few a day, once I month I ship over 50 boxes. He has to walk up about 5 stairs to get to my porch where IL eave them. I've had amazing postmen but I don't know the current one and I can't imagine he's happy about all the packages.
  • belliumbellium Posts: 672
    i just found out my mail lady for the past decade is retiring next week - so sad! she has always adored my boxer, sid vicious, and the feeling is mutual - he LOVES to see her every day, and she always leaves treats in the mailbox for him, on top of any packages she puts on the porch, and if he happens to be out in our fenced backyard when she comes by she pulls in the driveway and gives him and extra few through the fence. i live in a very small town and checked in at the post office this afternoon about getting her a gift, and they agreed they'd turn a blind eye so she's getting a farewell card from the dog, a gift card to petco (she is into dog rescue), and a few dozen doughnuts from a fancy doughnut store around here dropped off at the post office to share with the other employees (thanks to sub boxes and yarn shipments i'm on a first name basis with all of them!).