Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a way to hide users who haven't been active for over a month?

MicheleMichele Posts: 88Member
To make it easier when swapping? It would be nice if I could hide those that have gone inactive so they don't show up when I am searching an item.

Comments

• MariaNGMariaNG Posts: 1,457Member
    @Michele not that I know of. I'm not sure I would like that personally. I've been here almost a year and a half, but my swap number is relatively low. There was a month or two when I didn't swap, but I was still active on the forum and planned to swap again. I just wasn't finding the right swap fit then. So you'd have missed seeing all of my amazing listings :smile: if I was hidden.
  • MicheleMichele Posts: 88Member
    @MariaNG true I guess, I wasn't thinking about it from that point of view, I was more thinking of those that create accounts and don't log into MSA for months and months but their stuff still shows listed. I don't have much patience when it comes to swaps. If I don't hear back within a day or two I tend to cancel. Usually when I want to swap something it's something I need to get right away or I lose interest.
  • whitpickwhitpick Posts: 602Member
    Oh @MariaNG is "inactive" just meaning you haven't done a swap? I assumed it was hadn't logged in, which I think is different. I do think that truly inactive accounts should be hidden in some way, especially when you have to go through pages of swap listings and half are inactive...
  • minniethecatminniethecat Posts: 342Member
    @Michele if you cancel after only a day or two of submitting a request then you could be missing out on a lot of great swaps because not everyone checks their swaps everyday.
    Also, people have been known to take long swapcation but it doesn't mean that they won't come back if they get the right offer. You can still request from people that show inactive. Maybe you have that one thing that they've been looking for and it will bring them out of their swap slumber.
    People sometimes go inactive to sort out personal issues in their lives (we have seen this quite a bit lately with some people leaving and others coming back)
    I've also known people who went inactive for a while because they weren't getting notifications but that's no reason to banish them to the cornfield.
  • lalalalalala Posts: 1,154Member
    @Michele I have to agree with @minniethecat
    Cancelling a swap request after a few days is going to make it harder for you to swap. I am pretty quick on swaps, but occasionally life gets in the way - or I post something I get tons of requests for and have to wade through requests thoughtfully.

I never thought about requesting something from an inactive swapper to try to get them swapping again, though. That sounds good.
  • allisenallisen Posts: 127Member
    @Michele, I'm with you. I prefer to cancel after a few days and try someone else so I can get on with it. I know it's not everyone's style.
  • KatieKatie Posts: 263Member
    Yeah to echo @elizabethj - I would at least love to see hasn't been active in 6 months or hasn't been active in over a year. A month is nice to know but would make requesting much easier to know who is really gone and probably not coming back. @Liz Cadman @Eric Cadman @chris Is it possible to have more than one inactive message?
    After reading the responses I guess "inactive" needs to be clarified. I thought it meant hadn't swapped for a month, but maybe it means not logging in for a month? If you haven't logged in for a long time, let alone swapped, (maybe a few months) I could see dropping them behind active swappers.
  • feemiafeemia Posts: 33Member
    I assumed it meant someone who hasn't logged in. I've looked at listings of swappers who haven't had any feedback for months, but they are still active.
  • chrischris Posts: 3,659Member, Moderator
    Inactive for a month means no swap activity. A person could still have logged into the swap site during that time and be considered inactive because they are just looking, but not actually swapping.
    Thanks @chris for clarifying. I came very close a few times to becoming inactive then.
  • elizabethjelizabethj Posts: 533Member
    @chris what if someone is requesting swaps but not completing any? Does that count as swap activity?
  • MandypMandyp Posts: 293Member
    As a member who is only ably to swap a couple times a year I understand that it can be frustrating to see coveted listings but no responses.
    I would love to see a happy medium where accounts that have not seen activity in 12-15 months get hibernated or closed and their listings hidden.
  • flirtmdflirtmd Posts: 465Member
    I did not swap for a few weeks prior to my vacation so I could be sure I wasn't leaving anyone in a lurch while I was gone for 3 weeks. I am back now but show inactive. I would hope my listings would not be hidden because I am looking even though I haven't yet initiated a swap his week.
  • chrischris Posts: 3,659Member, Moderator
    @elizabethj, requesting swaps, but not completing any counts as swap activity and you would not be marked as inactive.
  • LexLex Posts: 370Member
    I think @Mandyp's suggestion of a longer period would work well. It seems unlikely that someone who has been gone for a year will be coming back, but if they did then their listings would become visible again.

I also think it would be awesome if there could be an option to see more items per page when going through peoples listings or follows. Some people have 30+pages of items listed and I realize by page 15 that I'm not actually looking anymore.