Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Permission to do the exchange like last year

HappyCatHappyCat Posts: 1,208Member
Last year we did an exchange on the forums. It was a lot of fun. It was canceled due to some difficulty. I for one really enjoyed it and wanted to see if we could get permission to bring it back. In the summer time swaps slow down and this could be a fun way to move things on to people that would enjoy them. I think the problem we had last time was that the rules were not well established. Possibly there could be some restriction put on new people like we have for the matched exchanges we do. I think we are able to make the matched exchanges work I can't see any reason these couldn't be made to work.

@chris If your not the right person to ask can you forward this on to who every we need to have permission from?

Comments

• EliseElise Posts: 547Member
    I think we're about to do a forum exchange. Unless you're talking about something else?
  • HeatheryHeathery Posts: 1,313Member
    HappyCat might be talking about the traveling swap box? If so, there was a lot of behind the scenes "drama"--for lack of a better word--that wasn't openly discussed here on the forums. The four people who started the boxes received back boxes with, basically, nothing but junk in them. As in, people who participated weren't held accountable for what they took vs what they added to the boxes.

Swap Profile ~*~ Goodreads ~*~ PaperBackSwap Profile
    "Be strong," I whispered fervently to my wifi signal.

• finlidanfinlidan Posts: 1,654Member
    @Heathery I remember there being a lot of drama on the boards as well with people not shipping properly, switching to regional boxes, that box that got lost for ages, blah blah
  • Randi2Randi2 Posts: 2,239Member
    ya, I remember following the thread about the box that got lost... then I went on vacation and I don't know what happened... but it was all gone
  • HappyCatHappyCat Posts: 1,208Member
    @Heathery No not the traveling box. This was where everyone listed a few items to swap on the board and we got to request items. It was done on a point system and was a lot of fun. There was some drama but nothing that couldn't have been handled with rules.

@Elise Yes, this is a different thing.

@HappyCat
    are you talking about the FreeCycle thing? I think that got crazy pretty fast... but I didn't really follow it bc it was too confusing for me to keep up on
  • ReneeRenee Posts: 121Member
    @mycatbutters I liked it, too. The person I remember being the most unkind was later banned.
    @mycatbutters I know and I have so much I want to swap out. I was really new to sub boxes and I got some lots of cosmetics that I was really happy with last time.
    I think it's like anything on the boards the snarky has to be put down fast. The snarky comments of a couple of people were allowed to mess up everything for those of us having a good time.

freecycle = <3

• chrischris Posts: 3,831Member, Moderator
    edited June 15
    @HappyCat, unfortunately, we are not going to be having another Freecycle or other similar, unofficial forum exchange any time soon. I will not say never again, but definitely not for a long time if ever again. The last experiences were problematic in a lot of ways, some public, some private, and we don't want to repeat this again.

However, we will be starting signups for the next official forum exchange tonight that we have been voting on.

We might do another traveling swap box this summer, that hasn't been decided yet. We have had a couple of people volunteer to host already. We will see. If we do this, there will be a few changes from the last 2 times we did this.
  • lynndeannelynndeanne Posts: 412Member
    @chris What if the traveling box is documented as it travels? So I send to you, you take a pic of what you open, take/add, and then take another pic before you send on. Sort of like when lawn ornaments go all over the world and send pics.
    @lynndeanne there were spreadsheets in previous traveling swap boxes that people were meant to update but it doesnt change the fact that they'd take items and fill the box up with their partially used beauty samples or whatever
    @chris The public one was just snarkiness. It seems like that could be handled easily. I wonder if the freecycle wasn't tarnished by something(or someone) that had nothing to do with the swaps themselves. I think a lot of things we have done have had some problems here and there. I know the traveling box was less than great if you got behind someone who took everything good and replaced it with unswappable cosmetics(my experience). Personally, after paying to ship a large priority box and getting nothing of consequence doesn't make me want to repeat. With the freecycle, I think things went much better than is remembered.

I was hoping that time would have elapsed and the people who really enjoyed it could resurrect it with rules to handle the problems from last time.
  • lynndeannelynndeanne Posts: 412Member
    @finlidan That's just sad. I was thinking photos might add more shame, but I guess some people are shameless.
    edited June 15
    @lynndeanne If people are that dishonest :( There is no shame. The stuff I was talking about wasn't used it was crap no one would want and it was swapped out for a 1951 coin purse and other nice items.

@lynndeanne for sure. If you can find those old threads people would post pictures of what they took and what they put in so even the public aspect of it didn't deter them from not keeping the quality high
    @chris I'd be willing to host a box but I think a rule should be from sub boxes only. Last round other items could be put in so people would fill it with like dollar store junk
  • chrischris Posts: 3,831Member, Moderator
    edited June 15
    Snark was definitely a problem in the last unofficial exchanges, but, unfortunately, far from the only problem. It was not limited to former forum members either. I don't want to say never again, but if we do something like this again, it is not going to be any time soon.

I will start a thread tonight about brainstorming ideas for another traveling swap box--which we may do if we can come up with something that makes sense and has protections built in. We did this before, but every time we do this we learn new things. If we do this again, there will be even more limitations/rules next time, likely including but not limited to things like fewer participants per box, more reporting requirements, longer swap and/or forum commenting history, etc.
    @chris An idea for traveling box could be "build a box" maybe person number #1 could take a picture of a bunch of stuff they would like to send out and the people set to receive the box in the future could request items. It goes to person #2 and they take a picture of the items they would like to send along with the box and the people on down the line could ask that items be put in it. That way people wouldn't be taking out things and not putting in things people would like.
  • JenniferjoyJenniferjoy Posts: 164Member
    I liked the Freecycle one. I traded a coach wallet that I never used for some Coach hairties that I wear all the time. I did the traveling swap box but by the time I got to me it was really junky. I don't think I would do that one again.
    @Chris possible idea for the next traveling swap box would be to have categories of boxes - something along the lines of beauty, lifestyle, accessories, jewelry, clothing, food, nerd boxes, bookish, etc... you could have 1 for each separate category or combine a couple into one (like a jewelry/clothing/accessory box).

This could somewhat help eliminate someone from taking a 1951 and putting in some Manna Kadar products (but it wouldn't stop someone from taking a HD bracelet and putting in the Luv AJ one... )

But maybe there could somehow be a $$ range set up too?... not sure on that, and wouldn't want to make it too complicated or have 25 traveling swap boxes crisscrossing the country
  • ElissaElissa Posts: 432Member
    @chris my idea for the traveling swap box would be to categorize the items by niceness- luxe, regular, sample, and albatross. You can take as many sample and albatross items as you want but for regular and luxe items you need to add as many in that category as you took.
  • SaizaSaiza Posts: 1,841Member
    On MUT they do a circular swap box, it is done on a much smaller scale and it is primarily all cosmetic items, so you can't get a 1951 and put in all Manna Kadar bronzers. I missed out on the freecycle thing, it seemed good in theory but a little complicated for my feeble brain. I'm not sure anything like that is possible on the forum anymore, it's gotten so big and so many new people. It would be fun though. I know my swapping has really slowed down and my swapping hoard has only grown.
  • Love2323Love2323 Posts: 475Member
    I'm new but been around a bit let me ask you this question what if we did it by regions instead of crisscrossing all over the country is there a chance of more trust?
    @Love2323 in the past they've been set up by regions so there really isn't a box traveling across the country literally
  • ElissaElissa Posts: 432Member
    @Love2323 that's the way we did it last year and still, the problems
  • diamondsonhertoesdiamondsonhertoes Posts: 992Member
    I think a longer forum history is a great idea if a traveling swap box happens again. I believe a person that was not an active forum member took advantage of the box on my team.
    edited June 16
    @Chris One idea would be to assign a value to items from Ipsy/Birchbox/Sephora of maybe $2. That way if anyone wanted to include them they couldn't game the system and people may actually want to swap for some of the items.

Maybe a 1/2 value on albatrosses and no more than 1 of each albatross in a box at a time. That way there wouldn't be 3 Luv AJ bracelets in one box.

@Love2323 It was done by regions last time.
    I think the problem with labeling things by "niceness" is that one person's luxe is another person's albatross. Something like a Pehr bin doesn't necessarily come across as luxe, but they're hard to swap for.
    I think there's been some jewelry lately that is from a luxe box, but is kinda actually an albatross (thinking along the lines of some of the oui please jewelry or even Luxor - the pendant?)