Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is WATCHING The Handmaid's Tale??

lalalalalala Posts: 885Member
I know of no one in my everyday life that watches the show...but I just finished episode 10 and just would love to talk about it all...(as soon as I finish blowing my nose!!!) ;)

Comments

• janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 590Member
    Oh I'm right there with ya girl! After that cliffhanger I immediately booted up Prime and bought the book because I cannot wait for another year for a new season to find out what happens!
    Also, FYI to those interested, apparently the kindle version is free to download for Prime users! I'm a weirdo who likes sniffing books though so I had to order the physical copy :lol:
  • lalalalalala Posts: 885Member
    Yay @janemockingjay I'm glad you watched.
    Have you read the book? Because I don't want to mess you up if you haven't. The book and the show are different in many ways.
    no, I've never read the book before which is amazing to me because dystopian/utopian books have always been my favorite genre and The Handmaid's Tale is always on the best of list for those so I don't know why I've avoided it until now. Kinda glad I did though, because anytime I read the books first the shows never have as much of an impact during the emotional moments.
    Ok, I don't want to ruin anything - but don't be sad when things aren't in there. But the good thing is that there are things in the book that aren't in the show.

I audibly sobbed for Moira when she saw Luke. Thankfully my husband is at work so he didn't have to check to see if I was going to be ok!
    OH, and @janemockingjay I love dystopian future books, as well.

Have you read another of Margaret Atwood's books: Oryx and Crake? I read it, and really liked it (not as much as The Handmaid's Tale where I have read it too many times to count). It's good enough that I kept it. I only keep books I'm thinking I'll read again one day. It's a part of a trilogy, which I haven't gotten to. I must admit that I am too tired to read too much of the time during the school year.
    No, I haven't read that one either and that's another one that always shows up on best of lists so I definitely need to pick it up too. After seeing the book in the store, I knew the show had to have expanded on Handmaid's Tale quite a bit since the book doesn't seem long enough to cover everything that's already been shown. I felt so bad for crazypants (the one-eyed girl, I can never remember her name on the show so she's just crazypants to me). She got on my nerves really bad at first but after seeing what she went through there's no wonder she's the way she is! Also, I know I'm supposed to be rooting for Offred to get to Canada, but I can't help but want a certain someone and her to end up together (trying not to spoil much in case others come to the thread that might be interested in watching).

If you like dystopian books I can give you a list that's about a mile long of the best of the best :lol: The Uglies series, The Dark Tower series (NOTHING like Stephen King's other books and omg is it the greatest story but it's "loosely" dystopian/sci-fi/horror/historical fiction/reallyhardtoputitinonefriggincategory), Ready Player One (my favorite standalone book), Pure series (didn't get nearly as much love in the book community as the writing deserved with that one, it's about the after-effects of nuclear war), Wool by Hugh Howey, The Road by Cormac McCarthy (also one of my favorite movies), Red Rising Series by Pierce Brown .....I could go on and on
  • ankareedaankareeda Posts: 466Member
    I watched the first two episodes, then borrowed the book and finished them both in under a week They don't have the same plot points exactly, but I do feel the show did a good job of following the tone and arc of the book. I'm looking forward to season 2 since both left me wanting to know more.
  • TAMTAM Posts: 63Member
    The book and show are both on my to do lists.
    @janemockingjay thanks for providing all of the reading suggestions. Going to check them out as I enjoy these types of books. My co-worker had already suggested the Dark Tower.
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,150Member
    I've been watching it but haven't gotten through all the available episodes yet. It's been very interesting to watch. I read the book when I was 16, which was a long time ago, so I'm not sure how closely the storyline of the show follows the book. Watching it has made me want to read the book again. I expect that my take will be quite different at my age than when I was a teenager.
    @janemockingjay I have read The Road, and I read the first Red Rising, and then I think I forgot I was going to get the other books to read. It was a slow start to reading Red Rising, and I was worried I wasn't going to get into it, then I started reading whenever I had the chance, which is hard when my child is like "play with me!" I will have to look at your other suggestions.
  • gillepgillep Posts: 272Member
    I really need to just bite the bullet and get Hulu for this show. This is one of my all time favorite books. I also really liked Oryx and Crake, but the others in that series didn't have that same compelling draw that made me think about them over and over.

Dystopian fiction is my favorite genre, my husband teases me mercilessly that I love 'depressing' books, but I prefer to phrase it as 'books that make me think'.

In addition to the books referenced above, I have also enjoyed pretty much any book by Matthew Mather, as well as 'The Game is Life' series by Terry Schott.
    Wow, I've really updated my Amazon wish list now!!!
    @TAM yes The Dark Tower series is crazy good. Be forewarned, the first book is super slow since nothing really "exciting" happens in it but reading the first book is a necessity since it gives you the background on Roland the Gunslinger and the man in black. There are 7 books in the series and after that first one they will fly by because there's always something new and interesting going on in them
  • olive1924olive1924 Posts: 283Member
    I just finished episode 10 last night. I love that show! I'm very curious to see what happens next season. Also @janemockingjay I loved Ready Player One too. I read it all in one night. I hope the movie is good.
    @lalala ooooo you gotta finish red rising! All three books were awesome and had a great ending. Oh man did I cry though! If a book can make me cry I know it's good
    @janemockingjay I promise I'll work on the other two books. I have to get back to reading more, especially as my child has started to read a lot!
  • Maureen_BMaureen_B Posts: 284Member
    Count me in for loving dystopian style books, or end of the world/civilization style...comets crashing, power grid shutting off forever, etc. Not only is Dark Tower good, but King's 'The Stand' is a major fave of mine.
  • Maureen_BMaureen_B Posts: 284Member
    I just read 'Seven Eves', that one is really good!
  • magoosmommagoosmom Posts: 195Member
    I have been avoiding this thread so I could watch the whole season without any spoilers. Another huge fan of dystopian here and have read many of the ones mentioned (and Hunger Games and so many more LOL).

I just finished watching and I'm loving it. GREAT acting and directing. I had read the book and it isn't one I would reach for again, but it was good. I think the show is doing a great job expanding on the book...really taking it to how it would look in our time and fleshing out the back story behind it. It's been a while since I've read the book but I think it mostly focused on the main character, while the show is giving us all kinds of angles on this. Elizabeth Moss is amazing. I liked her well enough on Mad Men, but she deserves an Emmy for best actress for this. She really conveyed all the emotions so well. You can see her fighting for her sanity.

The only bad thing about watching excellent programs like this is there aren't enough of them! I demand good acting and story lines people! LOL
  • bunneebunnee Posts: 100Member
    @lalala - try audiobooks! I am seriously addicted. I was not finding enough time to read and when I finally did, I would fall asleep : ) With audiobooks, I can multi-task - clean, cook, walk the dogs, etc. If it is a book that is really addicting, I even close my office door sometimes and listen at work. I highly recommend trying it!

As to the show - it was amazing, I finished it Friday night. While it did not stay totally true to the book, they did an excellent job and I loved that they have been consulting with Margaret Atwood on the next season. Moss does indeed deserve an Emmy nod, though I am rooting for Carrie Coon to win for The Leftovers : )
    I'm reading the book now and for once I think I actually like the show better! I'm only on page 40 something so my opinion might change but Offred aka June is kind of uh...how do I put this nicely....boring as h-e-double hockey sticks so far. Also, Mrs. Waterford is supposed to be older and ugly and have a cane WHAT?!

Fun fact though! There's a foreword in the front from Margaret Atwood that was written in February this year and she said that she never actually meant for Offred to have a real name and that people just inferred that it was June because that's the only name that was mentioned one time in the book and then not said again.
  • oniontearsoniontears Posts: 59Member
    @janemockingjay I totally agree. I've read the book previously and am currently making my way through the show, but I definitely like the show better. They've translated it to tv really well!
    I think that the show is AMAZING and is probably better than [my favorite] book.
    Moss is amazing as Offred. Do you see how she turns her emotions on her face on a dime? Amazing!!!
  • jewlzjewlz Posts: 454Member
    @lalala i clicked on this and read that you just finished and were crying and logged back off because i only had episode 10 left. Got the moira/luke scene and bawled thinking I bet this is what she was crying at lol.

@janemockingjay and @olive1924 I LOVE ready player one and i was literally jumping around screaming when i found out that steven speilberg was making the movie. I love the casting so far too.
  • jewlzjewlz Posts: 454Member
    edited June 20
    nvm someone already said this lol.
    @jewlz Totally why I was crying. My husband thought I was nutz when I told him. But it didn't matter. I loved watching this show so much more than I ever thought I would.
  • magoosmommagoosmom Posts: 195Member
    Ready Player One is my son's favorite book. Hoping the movie will live up to it!
    @jewlz @magoosmom same here! I love Ready Player One so much, I even made my Xbox tag II Art3mis II :lol: I hate that they keep postponing it! It was supposed to originally come out in March of this year but hopefully that just means they're taking their time and doing it right!
  • mimiretzmimiretz Posts: 467Member
    My husband and I watched the whole season. I had read the book when it first came out, then reread it when I found out the series was being made. The series was absolutely wonderful! It scared hubby more than me -- always a good sign ;) He's now reading the book.