Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Bizarre Swap Ever, Solved!!

SaizaSaiza Posts: 1,794Member
edited June 19 in Swaps
We found a resolution, it looks like there was a mix-up or something at the post office. Or they just flat out took the items which is strange. Thank you all for your advice!
Post edited by Saiza on

Comments

• chefkristinchefkristin Posts: 1,566Member
    @Saiza she shipped you an empty box of tissue paper??? Ok that is the most bizarre thing.
  • 2crazyspaniels2crazyspaniels Posts: 175Member
    I would start by reaching out. Maybe she sent the box and then realized the items were still on the table. I've done something similar. I shipped and then cleaned up and found one item that I was supposed to mail had fallen onto the floor. I reached out to see if my partner's box had gone out yet and how she'd like to proceed (lower the swap value on her end, send the item, etc). Everything worked out just fine in the end, but communication was key.
  • nelliebelle1197nelliebelle1197 Posts: 2,178Member
  • SaizaSaiza Posts: 1,794Member
    @chefkristin YES!!! Like she knew she was sending a mug it would be heavy, I think you would notice that the box is so light.
  • PlaidGirlPlaidGirl Posts: 740Member
    I would send her an email to communicate and tell her you got an empty box. Could most likely be an innocent mistake.
    PM me for my swap profile. :)
  • whitpickwhitpick Posts: 589Member
    @PlaidGirl I had that happen once, my swapper had just gotten back from a funeral and must have been distracted because I got a box that was just tissue and an extra. She obviously forgot to put the item in. She was so apologetic I actually felt bad for her! I told her not to worry about it at all, it wasn't a high value swap and she was obviously distraught enough. It was clear to me that it wasn't intentional! Definitely just email politely and let her know there was nothing in the box...
  • finlidanfinlidan Posts: 1,563Member
    With so many swaps open she probably got distracted and forgot to pack the mug! Did you message her about it? That should be step 1
    @finlidan I just messaged her about it, I'll see what happens. But the box is totally empty; just lots of tissue paper, no samples or anything else.
  • SKDSKD Posts: 124Member
    If she's amenable to cancelling I would go that route. Unless she agreed to actually send the item and be ok waiting until you received it before you sent your part of the swap. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt because we've all been there but I feel like the scammers have found us and are infiltrating the swap site.
  • RochelleRochelle Posts: 981Member
    @saiza My guess is that it was an error while packaging up a few swaps at the same time. Remember some people don't get message notifications or go back to look at swaps once they've shipped out their end. Maybe you could email her directly, I'll bet she will be happy to make it right!
  • ducktorwhoducktorwho Posts: 362Member
    Mugs are pretty heavy. I find it hard to believe that she didn't know the box wasn't empty. I really hope it was just an honest mistake though.
    Sorry @monamonster it was my first bizarre swap in over 400 swaps, I've never had anything happen like that before. And I'm apparently not tech savy enough to figure out who the swapper is, I can never figure out who everyone else is talking about.
  • SJPSJP Posts: 1,874Member
    edited June 19
    I would give the benefit of the doubt & wait to hear back from the swapper. I rarely mail my own packages & my husband (my designated mailer) would have no idea what was supposed to be in any of the packages so he would have no way of knowing the box was empty.

I agree that it would be odd to actually ship an empty box just to try to get other items for free. I mean, stranger things have happened, but it just seems like a mistake to me.

(It would probably be best to remove all identifying information from your post. E.g., change specifics for "I swapped for a heavy thing...")

I hope it all works out. :)
  • sarasara Posts: 2,677Member
    @saiza, I do think we are here for advice. If you take the item you swapped for out of your message, no one will be able to figure it out. And, my gut is that it was a mistake- her profile doesn't look like a swaplifters,
  • finlidanfinlidan Posts: 1,563Member
    I mean, everyone's swapped listings are right there on their profile. It just takes a few clicks through the various swapped items to find a swap that looks correct then you can easily get to the other person's profile from there.

I mean, the fact that every swap you've ever done is still associated with your profile and accessible to anyone with a swap account is another reason we shouldn't disclose identifying info on the forums. Or post our own swap links, for that matter. I'm using the general "you" in this post btw, not any person in particular
  • janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 673Member
    I feel like it's definitely just a mistake. After looking through said person's swaps it seems that she swaps about like I do and sends out 3-4 swaps at once if not more, because she sometimes gets a bunch of feedbacks received on the same day. My guess is she packed a bunch up, thought she was putting your item in your box but accidentally stuck it in a different swap box that she was working on too and then sealed them all up to ship out without realizing what had happened and someone else is going to get your item and think she sent them an awesome extra. The weight of the box wouldn't have mattered at that point if she was carrying 3-4 packages out to the mailbox. I would say that she will get back to you asap about it and it will all be fine.
  • LexLex Posts: 367Member
    LOL I never realized that if you click on the swapped link under swapped items it actually opens up the swap, I always thought it would just open up the item link (same as clicking on the item). TBH I think that is more info than we need to have about other peoples swaps.
  • janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 673Member
    @Lex I agree it is a little tmi to be able to view it by just clicking on someone's profile, but I think it's because that's the only way that the "recent swaps" page would work and that page is very useful to see what types of items people are swapping for the items you want so that you know what to expect when you try to swap for that item too.
  • LexLex Posts: 367Member
    That is so weird and totally uncool but I'm glad you guys figured it out. It reminded me that my last bespoke post box came completely opened but nothing was missing. We really do put a lot of trust in the PO considering we can't see the people who have total access to our packages and most of the time there's nothing we can do about it if something does go wrong.
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,280Member
    @Saiza Sounds like something I would pull in a moment of flakiness. Lol. Good luck, I'm sure it will all work out.