Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cracked Screens & Repair

EddyEddy Posts: 183Member
edited August 13 in General
So last night, I was minding my own business and playing a game on my iPad as you do when you wake at 1am for no reason (one of the Delicious Emily games in case you are wondering).

I was just about to put down my iPad when the screen cracked. Just like that. I didn't drop it. I didn't hit it with a hammer or my husband's head. It. Just. Cracked. It is literally only barely out of warranty and I don't have Apple Care so apparently that's $300 down the toilet. FML.

Moral of story, that's the last Apple product I'm buying without Apple Care.
Post edited by chris on

Comments

• Em1Em1 Posts: 1,065Member
    I can relate to an Apple tragedy. So, I spent all of my smartphone-owning years bringing my phone with me into the bathroom to use on the toilet. By the end of 2016, I realized that doing so must have kept me in the bathroom at least 3 times as long as I would have needed to be there otherwise and I started to spiral thinking about all the lost time and productivity from my days. So my 2017 resolution was to never bring my phone with me into the bathroom again. And I didn't!! I was so good about it!! Until last month. And only out of necessity! I was working and had to pop into the bathroom really quickly and my phone was in my back pocket. But I didn't relapse, oh no. The phone stayed in my back pocket while I did my business, but when I went to pull my pants up, the phone got loose from the pocket and went PLOP into the toilet. I stared for a second. I couldn't believe it. I had spent years on the toilet with that phone ON PURPOSE and never had this happen to me! It was a sad day indeed.

I have relapsed several times since then. It isn't worth it anymore.
  • SubBoxAddictSubBoxAddict Posts: 8Member
    Sorry to hear that. If you are feeling adventurous, it is a somewhat easy enough fix. A screen replacement off of Amazon is relatively cheap (compared to shelling out money to have it repaired or to replace it) and you can watch a YouTube video to walk you through on replacing it :smile: My husband has replaced his screen a couple of times before and he just replaced the screen on my 6 (we like to drop our phones a lot, apparently LoL)
    I probably should invest in Apple Care, but I usually talk myself out of it since there's a "deductible" for replacing/repairing the device anway...
  • KristyKristy Posts: 1,998Member
    I cracked my iPhone screen a few weeks ago and it's driving me crazy!!! It's in the lower left-hand corner, so it's not TOO distracting, but I have never ever broken any phone I've ever owned, and it's slightly devastating! :lol: I don't have apple care, so it's about $130 with the deductible through Verizon. I'm eventually going to get it replaced, but I would rather spend the $130 on other stuff :(
  • Jenny1973Jenny1973 Posts: 720Member
    My phone was in my back pocket once and it jumped in the toilet. Oh what a nightmare it was. I wanted to cry and then just having to retrieve it was worse.
  • EnduringWoneEnduringWone Posts: 177Member
    Sorry to hear about the damaged electronics!

Btw, I love to play Delicious Emily! I think I have them all!
  • PamPam Posts: 2,096Member
    @Eddy do you have AT&T service? If so, there is an insurance called MDPP (Multi device protection pack) that you can add to anyones phone if they already have insurance. The MDPP covers all of the phones on the plan and also your tablet, laptop etc not on the plan. You can upgrade someones individual insurance just long enough to put in a claim for your ipad and then remove the insurance. I work for AT&T if you have any questions. You'd still have to pay a deductible but it might be worth it.
  • AACAAC Posts: 349Member
    @Eddy can you get it repaired? They use the same resin as windshield repair and while it won't be perfect, it will prevent further damage and minimize the crack.
    Ask me for my swap profile. :#
  • jamzillijamzilli Posts: 419Member
    edited July 16
    @Eddy There may be hope!!! Two things you can try that will probably work:

1) Try emailing Apple and politely ask if they can do anything or help you out. Some awesome companies will offer you something, including a replacement, if you just ask. It is just out warranty, you didn't do anything, it sounds like a manufacturing defect to me!

2)Most/many credit cards extend your warranty automatically (and dramatically) on any product you buy with them. I know for a fact that American Express and Discover do this, and I think it is standard on many other cards. Amex's process was really easy -- a thunderstorm partially damaged my fancy router (even though it was surge protected!), I filled out the online form, described the failure, and they refunded me my purchase price in a few weeks without any other input from me. The process is different for different cards, but it's really only a few minutes to get your hundreds of dollars (or a repaired, working product) in return.

My 2 cents: Paid warranty programs are just another way to get your money. Unless you always break everything, they are designed to turn a profit and their repair/replacement process is usually painful! Especially if it's something like a computer, where you want a new one every few years anyway, I'd never buy the extra insurance.
  • KECKEC Posts: 142Member
    edited July 16
    My iPad got stuck in my Murphy bed and got some lovely cracks when I put the bed up. It still works, but it's ugly. Most cities have iPhone/iPad screen repair shops. Some cell-phone stores offer screen repair service, as well. I think it will probably cost me up to a hundred bucks, though, so I've been putting it off. Take a look online for screen repair, and you'll probably find a place nearby. Everyone and their brother seems to have a battered phone these days, so there sure is a market for it outside the Apple store.

I also lost a phone to the terlet bowl. It was in my back pocket and was in the water for a total of about .85 seconds, but it was still toast. Never again, back pockets!

ETA: getting an iPhone screen replaced is way cheaper than an iPad's!
    Post edited by KEC on
  • bonbonbonbon Posts: 329Member
    @Eddy so sorry about your iPad! Have you checked out any of your local shops that do screen repair. Even check your local Groupon deals. I think I got an iPad mini screen replaced for $50 once.
    And I love the delicious Emily games too! Love those time management type games!
  • EddyEddy Posts: 183Member
    Thank you all for your advice and apologies for not responding earlier. Hit a wickedly busy patch at work and getting stuff done at the house so I've been MIA.
    Some great suggestions! My temporary fix was to buy a glass screen protector which is going a good job in holding everything together but now that I've come up for air I'm going to see what Apple will do as @jamzilli suggested.
    I feel bad for everyone else with an Apple related tragedy. Apple repairs are eye wateringly expensive!
    Thank you all!
    @bonbon and @EnduringWone - I've been so busy I haven't even played the new Emily game. :(
  • sarasara Posts: 2,934Member
    @eddy, head into the closest Apple Store and explain what happened. They have been great about replacing my devices which are just barely out of warranty- once, a phone that was two months out of warranty. Even if they don't replace it for free, they can usually get you a reconditioned replacement at less than the cost of screen repair. I would call around first and find out what screen repair costs so you would know,

@pam, I have a funny story about that insurance, when I got my last phone, the salesman added that insurance to my plan without asking me. I called in a big huff and demanded a refund AND for the insurance to be removed. They gave me both. Two weeks later, my son dropped his phone in a hot tub. As we were figuring out replacement options, I got my AT&T bill and.. the insurance hadn't been removed! Now, my other son is considering replacing his phone, that has battery problems, instead of upgrading. Then, I will call in a huff and have it removed again. ;)
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
  • PamPam Posts: 2,096Member
    @sara I can't tell you how many customers come in with a broken phone that just removed their insurance. That was lucky yours wasn't removed
  • shakirashakira Posts: 70Member
    Somehow I got soda in my MacBook Pro. There was smoke and it wouldn't turn on. I'll pick it up this week. $800.00 poorer for it...
  • nancytnancyt Posts: 787Member
    edited August 12
    @Eddy Wishing you the best and so sorry. My son cracked his screen S7-edge, we had bought the insurance but a replacement still cost over $200. Now he has cracked it for a second time and they want $250. I am ready to scream, the phone cost $794 with his smartwatch,etc. He is going to carry it for awhile. :'(
  • sarasara Posts: 2,934Member
    @shakira, my local repair shop told me about these thin covers that go over the keyboard of mac laptops. My kids were reluctant, but then they realized they are so thin that they don't change the feel of the keyboards. About $8 on Amazon, and if you spill, you just tilt the keyboard and it all pours off.

@nancyt, a glass screen cover both helps keep the screen from cracking AND keeps the screen from cracking more when it starts, plus then you don't get glass splinters from it.

I clearly have way too much experience in this field.
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
  • shakirashakira Posts: 70Member
    Thank you @sara! Unfortunately it went through the back. The vent/fan area... it wasn't even that much liquid. Ugh!
  • SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 947Member
    @Eddy My iPhone cover cracked when I slipped on ice and fell with my hands toward the ground, with my iPhone in one hand to break the fall. :neutral: Anyway, it cost around $125 to replace the screen at an Apple Store, and I didn't have phone insurance but called AT&T anyway to see what they could do for me, and they gave me a $75 credit on my next phone bill to help alleviate the cost. That was really nice of them and they didn't have to do that, so you never know what kindness you might get until you ask.
  • lalalalalala Posts: 1,292Member
    The Apple Store replaced my iPod (yes, the current iPod) with a discounted one - because it failed just a few months out of warranty. I use it for performances with a few of my grade levels, so I actually have one at each of my schools. Too bad they didn't just replace it for free.
  • chrischris Posts: 3,787Member, Moderator
    @nelliebelle1197 I updated the title to be more specific to what is being discussed.
  • EddyEddy Posts: 183Member
    @nelliebelle1197 - good call. At the time I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek but in hindsight, not such a great title especially as you say, with the current state of the world.
  • nelliebelle1197nelliebelle1197 Posts: 2,270Member
    @Eddy I figured you meant it to be sarcastic but it was hitting me hard