Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Home Chef Today

Article About Birchbox Being In Talks to Sell, Possibly To Walmart

elizabethjelizabethj Posts: 578Member

Comments

• Kc12Kc12 Posts: 12Member
    Hope my prepaid annual subs to two birchboxes will be honored if they sell!
  • ShennyShenny Posts: 32Member
    Interesting. I wonder why Ipsy has grown to overtake Birchbox. On the surface, they seem very similar, but I've never subscribed to any of them, so I'm not sure. Any insights?
  • LadybugLadybug Posts: 84Member
    That was an interesting read. I could see WalMart purchasing them as an entry into the beauty subscription box market.

@Shenny If I reading the graph correctly, it looks like Ipsy started to overtake Birchbox when BB dropped its point system. I believe around that time Ipsy also started to add more interesting brands.
  • ShennyShenny Posts: 32Member
    @ankareeda that makes a lot of sense, especially the gifting part.

Side note, I work in higher ed as well! :smile:
  • bizgirlvabizgirlva Posts: 138Member
    Ipsy tends to send more full size, but sometimes questionable quality items. Birchbox samples, while usually of a better quality and from more prestigious brand, tend to be very small.

For $10..a bag with 2-3 full size makeup items is appealing to 20 somethings. I get both and like both for different reasons.
  • LittleLionLittleLion Posts: 253Member
    Interesting. Wonder how it will change things. Man, Walmart/the Waltons have been acquiring a lot of things lately: ModCloth, Rapha... not sure how I feel about this. :/
  • chrischris Posts: 3,845Member, Moderator

Man, Walmart/the Waltons have been acquiring a lot of things lately: ModCloth, Rapha...

Walmart is definitely on a buying spree:
    https://www.thestreet.com/video/14048048/5-of-walmart-s-most-recent-acquisitions.html

• chefkristinchefkristin Posts: 1,785Member
    @Ladybug Wal-Mart already is in the sub box business, they are quarterly for $5.
  • LittleLionLittleLion Posts: 253Member
    @chris - wow! I knew about ModCloth and Rapha since I frequently shop both stores, but I had no idea about some of the others! I had heard about Jet, but had no clue about Moosejaw!

Thanks for the link. This is really interesting to read about. And seems like a very expensive way to compete with Amazon! I really wonder how some of these companies will change. I love Rapha exactly how it is, so I'm hoping the change will be next to nothing. :(
  • MiriamMiriam Posts: 1,575Member
    I didn't realize ipsy had overtaken Birchbox but it makes sense. BB is marketed to a slightly higher age demo who probably have a lot of beauty favorites already and/or want to try new products but not in 1-2 use samples that come free with a Sephora order. I agree with @ankareeda Ipsy is a much nicer looking gift and often includes full sizes. BB was a lot better when you got $5 in points to use on full size items. I don't know how they made any money that way but it was a lot better for us.

I read somewhere that Walmart was considering buying Sprouts as well. I'm not sure how I feel about that, it seems contradictory with my thoughts towards Walmart.
  • AACAAC Posts: 507Member
    I think Walmart is pressured to buy to compete with Amazon. Not sure how it will play out in the end, but in today's society, the conglomerates seem to win out while the little guys get shoved out the door. People want things NOW, and they want it CHEAP. The mom's and pop's can't compete on that level.
    Ask me for my swap profile. :#
  • makeupmanicmakeupmanic Posts: 59Member
    I'm one of the 'older' generation at 49 and began with Ipsy thanks to my niece who is 30. I've always loved makeup whether I wore it all the time or it sat on a lonely shelf. I then found this site and, well, my addiction grew. Some are similar in some aspects but most are very different. I don't know if I care for Wally world getting its hands on Birchbox. My last box had no makeup in it. Great travel-sized necessities, but no glamor. Bummer. (I later read about choosing between 2 types but that wasn't available to me.)

I love reading about the complaints under the spoilers and reviews. It's makeup, skincare and other items. I only wish this was around when I was in my teens and twenties. Mid-life crisis? Hmmmm...I can only hope! :D :D :D
  • KristyKristy Posts: 2,158Member
    I have both Ipsy and Birchbox. I like Ipsy for the fun makeup you receive, but rarely have I purchased anything based on what I recieved in my bag. Birchbox on the other hand, I have found so many things that I love and purchase frequently. I also gifted a BB sub to my mom and she's also had the same experience. I love the Birchbox shop and since I'm an Ace, everything ships free, plus I like the points you earn on your purchase, special sales, and sometimes they give you points randomly. I hope Walmart doesn't change things too much if they acquire BB. I get the Walmart beauty box (mostly for the price and because I use travel size items a lot) and it's not very exciting. Plus BB customer service is usually really amazing!!
  • LadybugLadybug Posts: 84Member
    @chefkristin I forgot about their quarterly boxes. I purchased them when they first came out.

My thinking was more along the lines of being able to compete against the majority of the beauty boxes. I looked at how much I spent at Birchbox this year despite cancelling my subscription to them last year. It was almost $560.00 which included orders on behalf of family members that are not an Ace. I'm sure WalMart would love a piece of that pie. Most, if not all, brands that I purchased from BB is not carried by WalMart.

I started my BB sub back in the summer of 2014 and ended it Nov of last year. I selected BB because it offered a lot of skincare and hair products which interested me. Ipsy had a younger vibe and offered more on-trend cosmetics which did not interest me as much. It's changed throughout the years.
  • JenniferLJenniferL Posts: 179Member
    I hope this doesn't happen. I don't support Walmart's business practices and have already had to say goodbye to my beloved Modcloth because of them. Although I guess if Walmart buys all the businesses I used to like, I'll save a lot of money.
  • Ponder88Ponder88 Posts: 697Member
    I remember when it was rumored Walmart would buy a competitor to Amazon that was getting more and more buzz--Jet. I can't recall what came of that, but Jet seems to still be chugging along.
  • chrischris Posts: 3,845Member, Moderator
    @Ponder88 Walmart bought jet.com last fall. I've never shopped there so I don't know if they changed anything.
  • BishBish Posts: 190Member
    I used to sub to both, but dropped BB when they dropped their points system. I still get ipsy, but buy my beauty items at Sephora. I used to love endless.com for shoes but then amazon bought them and took away the look and ease of shopping for shoes. Wal-Mart will probably do the same to bb.
  • LunaLuna Posts: 1,590Member
    This is off topic, but got me thinking when I read that Ipsy has overtaken BB.... I have this feeling that Ulta will overtake Sephora within the next 2 to 5 years (I'm leaning more towards 2-3). For the past couple of years, I've always chosen Ulta over Sephora, when possible, but starting this year, I've continued to hear more & more about how people are choosing Ulta over Sephora too, mostly because of their rewards system, but also because they're starting to carry more & better brands.

This all really came to light for me this weekend, because yesterday I went to probably the largest Sephora around me, and it was eerily empty. There were a few people in there, but not the few dozen that's usually in there, and it was in the early afternoon on a Saturday, so peak shopping time! I did go to Ulta today, and there was about the usual amount of activity, but it was just so odd seeing how empty Sephora was.
    Also, even though it sounds like Walmart is one of many(?) companies that BB is talking to, even just thinking of Walmart buying BB really makes me curious how Walmart would work the higher end brands into their model.
    @Luna I really don't like going into Sephora. It has a weird vibe to me. Maybe it's just that it's inside the mall (I hate malls). I always order online because the shipping fee is worth not entering the store :grimace: I know Sephora lets you take samples home, does Ulta do that too?
    edited August 14
    @Kristy Funny you should ask, because I just found out from a friend last week that Ulta won't make up samples for you to take home. They told her she can only "sample" it in the store. That's too bad, because the back of your hand won't tell you if your face is going to negatively react to something.
    @Luna well that is kinda crummy. If I want a makeup or hair sample, I'm going to want to incorporate it into my morning routine, so that doesn't really work well in-store. Guess I'll have to go to the mall sometime soon because I really want to try the new Bare Minerals foundation!
  • TiaTia Posts: 193Member
    I used to shop at Sephora when I lived in Cali and now I shop at Ulta because I live in NC. I like that Ulta gives you money off for their rewards system but I hands down love that Sephora does your makeup. Since I was the highest points member at Sephora I could schedule an appointment to come in and get my full face done for free. I did it a couple times a week and I miss it. My mall is actually supposed to get a Sephora in JCPenney and I plan to drop Ulta and head straight over to Sephora when it opens!
  • kaleigh89kaleigh89 Posts: 133Member
    @Tia real talk question - if you spent that much money to be a Rouge member when do you get to use your products if you go in a couple times a week and they do your makeup? :D lol I'm just teasing, that actually sounds awesome!
  • TiaTia Posts: 193Member
    @kaleigh89 hahahaha it was so amazing to get it done all the time! I have so much makeup that I don't really use. I've been trying not to buy as much anymore (maybe because there isn't a Sephora near me). I honestly just like having things more than I actually use them. Problems of a shopaholic!
    I like Ulta's rewards programs way more than Sephora's, but I personally love the shopping experience at Sephora a whole lot more, plus since I'm more into skincare, I really like their in-store skincare options a lot more too! I feel at Ulta the prestige skincare section is tucked away in a little corner of the store & their offerings don't really excite me, whereas at my favorite Sephora locations, they either cover almost one half of the store or the whole back section of the store (so maybe ~1/3 of the store). Plus, I feel Sephora changes up their skincare in-store offerings a lot more.

Speaking of not really being into makeup... when I was in Sephora this weekend, I spent quite a bit of time perusing the skin care section to see if there was anything I wanted to get for 4x points, but when I got to the makeup section, I pretty much walked up & down the rows, glancing at things, but not really stopping. The person I was with (who is into makeup, but wasn't buying anything that day) basically asked why I wasn't stopping to look at any of the makeup brands, and I made the mistake of saying I wasn't really stopping to look at any makeup because it all looks the same to me. The person I was with, plus the two girls in the aisle gave me looks that went from :hushed: to :anguished: to :flushed: to :astonished: Haha!!! I almost apologized to them for my faux pas too! But, I'll admit if I heard someone say that exact same thing in the skincare section, I would have reacted the same way!
  • finlidanfinlidan Posts: 1,667Member
    As with most companies buying other companies, for the most part they leave them the same and they do their own thing under the umbrella of the other company. But who knows.
  • Maureen_BMaureen_B Posts: 383Member
    @Luna I'm the same, I'm way into skincare but don't give two hoots about makeup.