Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments on Reviews

jojo1355jojo1355 Posts: 197Member
edited August 19 in General
Does anyone else cringe when they see things like 'hideous' 'super ugly' 'ugly AF' in the comments of Liz's reviews? I realize not everything is for everybody and you can certainly dislike something and weigh in. However, there will be people that really like what you don't and by calling something 'hideous' you in effect are insulting their taste. Why can't we just say 'I really don't like it' or "it isn't my taste.' The recent string of comments that use 'hideous' and 'ugly AF' is just really distasteful to me. Am I alone? Or being too sensitive?

Comments

• jojo1355jojo1355 Posts: 197Member
    @missycat928 but you probably wouldn't say the new jacket your friend is wearing is ugly AF to her. :wink:
  • jojo1355jojo1355 Posts: 197Member
    @entwashian I think you're right. People aren't thinking that what they're saying is unkind to someone else, they're just giving their opinion.
  • MelissaBMelissaB Posts: 1,731Member
    Yes, I cringe sometimes, too.
    http://swap.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/user/8125/profile

You could send some people a box of roses, and they'd complain about the thorns, or the smell, or the color.
  • milstarrmilstarr Posts: 76Member
    There are definitely cringe worthy moments in the comments of reviews as of late. Maybe that's just the way some people talk irl? I just inwardly cringe and move along.
    Opinions, everybody's got one!
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,426Member
    @jojo1355 I don't know if you've ever heard of the sitcom Miranda, but there's a great bit where the main character talks about how she could never do one of those makeover shows, then demonstrates how it would go if she did. She runs up to a woman, holds out her microphone & says, "Do you like what you're wearing?" to the woman, who says yes. Then she says, "Do you care that others might not like it?" and the woman says no. She says, "Right, you go on, then," and walks away.

That's kind of how I feel about comments like that on the internet. Who are you, & why do I care about your opinion? Like, if you can't be bothered to support your opinion with facts or contextual information, why should I be bothered to care?
  • PamPam Posts: 2,124Member
    Yeah, i think people hide behind their computer and think they can say anything! @missycat928 I love traveling, (and sub boxes) and I've had people say that traveling is a waste of money since you have nothing to show for it!
  • missycat928missycat928 Posts: 1,002Member
    Oh @Pam - I totally do, too... I didn't mean that traveling is not worth it at all! I just meant when people say that they are so glad that they do that instead of sub... while on a sub site. Right now I have three little ones, so traveling is not as frequent as it might have been in my younger years. I can't wait to do it again, but for now I have every other year vacations and subs! haha

Sub boxes are stuff... traveling is memories. You can't compare the two, really... they both have their own merits!
    @missycat928 I didn't think you meant that at all. Personally I wish i could stop spending money on "stuff" and save it for vacations, but getting a sub box in the mail brings immediate pleasure!!
  • chefkristinchefkristin Posts: 1,752Member
    edited August 19
    Great example, the keychain from the last Pineapple Post got slammed on the msa review comments yet only one (last I looked) was listed for swap. Personally I want the turquoise color one and it's not listed. If it is so bad why isn't the swap board loaded with them?
    @dw85202 good for you for having your priorities strait! When I was married we went on 2 cruises a year, always inside cabins, although we could have afforded more. My in laws who were in debt, would get a balcony on cruises and then always said they didn't understand why we could afford to travel so often.
  • ducktorwhoducktorwho Posts: 476Member
    I agree that people are way too harsh with the way they phrase it sometimes. I get that not everyone likes everything (it'd be odd if they did), but it's much nicer to say "not my style" than to say "it's hideous". Someone likes it, so they're insulting their taste or style.
  • chefkristinchefkristin Posts: 1,752Member
    @Jackiecupcake I so agree, how dare someone comment on someone's appearance!
  • AnnAnn Posts: 1,865Member
    I have been on MSA for a while. The comments on the reviews have often been a bit different in tone than here in the threads. Sometimes the review comments get a bit rough.
  • DonnaDonna Posts: 318Member
    There have been a few times where people have been quite critical of the reviewer. Almost mean spirited.
  • MelissaBMelissaB Posts: 1,731Member
    edited August 19
    Pam said:

Yeah, i think people hide behind their computer and think they can say anything! @missycat928 I love traveling, (and sub boxes) and I've had people say that traveling is a waste of money since you have nothing to show for it!

Oh my goodness, that is so false! Studies have shown over and over again that it is experiences and memories that make us happy, not stuff. Now, I am a very materialistic person, unfortunately, but absolutely no way do I think that traveling is a waste of time or money! I'm actually really regretting that I have not saved any money so I can go traveling. Like, I really hate myself for it. maybe I'll get a winfall someday. *windfall, not winfall.

I'm also going to add - when @dw85202 said POS - I have to get this off my chest. So I think that POS is very common vernacular, at least on the internet. Well, I work with people who work in tobacco use prevention, and they are *constantly* talking about POS, but they are referring to Point of Sale marketing that the tobacco companies use to try to get people sucked into buying products when they are checking out. I so much want to tell them what POS means to me, but I am afraid that it will stick in their minds, and they'll never forgive me for telling them. Lol!
    http://swap.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/user/8125/profile

You could send some people a box of roses, and they'd complain about the thorns, or the smell, or the color.
  • JenniferLJenniferL Posts: 130Member
    What I always find strange is when people complain when items aren't to their taste, but then also complain when box contents are "safe and boring."