Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Incorrect Retail Values on Swap listings

MeshaMesha Posts: 82Member
I thought it might be nice to have a place to drop these rather then starting a new thread every time someone runs across one.

When going to list an item for swap I noticed that the retail value on the Burt's Bees Hand Salve is way off. I probably wouldn't have realized it except this is a product we have used in our family so I'm familiar with it. I think the fact that the full size is 3 oz and the sample is .3 oz made it easy to get confused. The full size one is the one that's $10. I found the little pocket tin for $2.99 online.

Comments

• MeshaMesha Posts: 82Member
    Today I noticed the retail value on the Sephora Lashcraft mascara sample was listing at $12. I recieved this in my bag and it was a very tiny sample. Also Sephora brand products are not terribly expensive so $12 sounded close to what full size would go for. Sure enough the full size was $12 and they have a 5 ml size for $7. Since the sample is 2.8 ml it would come in at $4 in value.
    Btw- it was a really nice mascara so I'd recommend trying it out.
  • kaleigh89kaleigh89 Posts: 137Member
    Not that this is an incorrect retail value, and I've actually never gotten one so I don't know how nice they are, but I saw someone had listed the Breo Box at a $50 retail value, for the box itself. Maybe because it has Breo printed on it, so it's like an advertisement, but that seemed high to me. But I guess so do some other items that actually do sell for the amount they're listed as lol.
  • jewlzjewlz Posts: 1,082Member
    I'm having a hard time figuring out when people are using actual rv or just what they want to swap it for. I feel awkward bringing up this issue so if its set at too high a rv for my blood I usually politely decline and move on. Are other people pointing it out?
  • CrystalsCrystals Posts: 1,115Member
    If I had the wrong retail value on my listings, I'd definitely like someone to point that out. I used retail value of a review (not MSA) and thought it was a full size item that I was swapping but it turned out being a sample size and the other swapper called me out on it. To be fair I sent her another item in return to balance out the retail value. In the end it worked out for both of us, but now I'm more careful with those types of things. And I'm getting to the end of swapping since I've cancelled all of my subs.
  • flirtmdflirtmd Posts: 610Member
    About half the listings for .07 oz. The Beauty Crop GRLPWR Liquid Lipstick in Imma Bawse say it is nearly full size giving a full size of .08 oz. then list the RV at $13. The full size is .14 oz. I believe it was incorrectly priced in the April Birchbox review by Haley.

Just remember… "Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes."
  • MeshaMesha Posts: 82Member
    @flirtmd - Great to know! I believe I have one of those listed so I need to fix it if it is wrong.
    @jewlz - I'm fairly new to swapping around here but I was under the impression that real retail value was what most folks here considered to be the general measuring stick for determining what fair swap value is. Of course there are other things that can come into play such as shipping costs if something is really heavy or rarity. If I'm unsure about the value though I'll ask because sometimes it is just an error.
  • AnninVAAnninVA Posts: 210Member
    The listings for Nima Oberoi wishbone bookends are all over the place, from $129 to $159. They are for sale new today online for $119. I might be the only swapper today who doesn’t think RV’s are frozen in time, though.
    edited September 28
    @SMZ I understand your opinion but just disagree and recognize that I am in the minority. I think it would be more useful if we discussed things in terms of fair market value rather than retail (or original) value. I think once a manufacturer selling their own products discounts them that should matter. When I first started swapping I got into a discussion with another swapper about the zebra pendant from HD that HD had marked down to $65 but she still claimed the value of this thing that had been sitting in her home for almost a year was $150. I just don’t buy it, but I’m pretty sure I’m the only one who doesn’t.

The $119 price for the wishbone bookends is on the lunares home page and is not indicated to be a markdown or anything other than full price.
  • SMZSMZ Posts: 889Member
    @AnninVA There is a difference between a manufacturers suggested Retail Value, wholesale price, retail selling price etc. And yes, each individual retail store can set their own selling prices, discounts, deals, etc but that still doesn't change the original MSRP.
  • SMZSMZ Posts: 889Member
    @AnninVA lol...well, swappers can set their own "trade values" / deals however they like and that's a whole other discussion!!!
  • minniethecatminniethecat Posts: 376Member
    @AnninVA the MSA review for the Neimans box had the wishbone bookends priced at $129 but the product information booklet that came in the sub box had the price listed at $139. That is why you will see two different prices. Some people have theirs listed at $159 and I think that they have set a ‘swap value’ that is higher than the other two prices in order to cover shipping. I’m not certain that that’s what they’ve done but I think that’s the reason some are listed at $159.
    As far as having “a discussion with another swapper” about what price they should swap their items to you, I would not make that a habit if I were you because that will get you a quick Ignore from many swappers. I’ve been on both ends of a generous swap and I can tell you that every single time it was the choice of the lister and not the requestor as to how low they want to go.
    @minniethecat I don’t haggle or anything with my swaps. There are plenty reasonable swappers here. There’s no need to engage the ones who aren’t.
  • flirtmdflirtmd Posts: 610Member
    We have had this discussion many times. The RV is the "accepted" value on the swap site and is used as a base price. It is up to the lister to determine what they will accept for a swap. A swapper who doesn't adhere to these conventions might have more luck on ebay where a "market" price is determined daily.

When prices are wrong or misleading it is ok to question but don't be surprised if you get push back. Personally I rarely initiate a swap as I am trying to get rid of items rather than acquire more stuff. I often ask what value they put on an item if there is no price and always ask if they feel my swap is fair when I choose something.

I think the most important thing to remember is that the whole idea here is swapping. The value must be seen by both parties to agree on a successful swap. No matter what the lister is asking they may or may not bite based on what they see on your side.

Just remember… "Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes."
  • minniethecatminniethecat Posts: 376Member
    @AnninVA yeah, I get ya. I think most people do swap based on RV though and not on sale prices but I’ve only been swapping for a year so you don’t need to take my word for it :)
    @minniethecat Yes I am aware of that. I play along and put the RV’s on my listings too. As I said in my earlier comment- I seem to be the only one who believes this common practice of calculating swaps based on flawed values deserves rethinking.
  • DSDSDSDS Posts: 52Member
    @AnninVA No, you're not the only one who feels that way. Box companies and manufacturers are pretty arbitrary when it comes to declaring values. Some are more realistic and others are... uh, not. I just take it case by case when swapping. I don't actually list RVs on my items at all, and that's on purpose.