Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand . . . my #%*! Uber Rating.

AnnAnn Posts: 1,932Member
For the past two weeks my Uber rating has been trending . . . down.

I have been using Uber more to transport myself and myself with two children. I frequently but not always take UberXL.

I am always ready and waiting on time.
I always greet my driver politely and thank the driver at the end.
I do not smoke or wear perfume.
I am not loud or too talky.
I do not talk on my phone in the vehicle.
I never ask for anything (water, AC, a change of the radio station).
I always give 5 stars unless it is catastrophically bad and then I do not rate.
I always give every ride (unless truly awful) a tip using the Uber app.
I make every effort not to slam car doors.

But . . . my rating is going down down down now 4.73. Do they not know I am tipping them?! Do XL drivers rate harder?

I even had one driver not answer the texts I sent with extra clarification about the location (weird location) and not answer phone message and then he screamed at me when he arrived -- but I was so terrified of a bad rating I was like "Please don't be made at me--I don't want my rating to drop!" He eventually decided not to be mad at me thank goodness.

Should I go back to tipping with cash?! Kind of hoping for insight from an uber insiders on MSA. I really depend on this service.

Comments

• annazannaz Posts: 223Member
    @Ann I would tip with cash because Uber has been known to do some weird (sketchy) stuff with wages and tips to drivers. Also I know this isn't always feasible but whenever possible, try to go to an easier pick up point for drivers (within reason, not suggesting you take a long walk) if you aren't carrying a lot of stuff. This makes a difference in cities like NYC where I live.
  • joiedevie99joiedevie99 Posts: 875Member
    I wouldn't worry too much if you're still over 4.5.

I always tip extra when I have bags, or when I'm coming to or from the airport because of the extra hassle.

I also try to be on the correct side of the street for where I'm going so the driver doesn't have to get turned around.
  • DSDSDSDS Posts: 52Member
    edited September 29
    @Ann So sorry to hear you're stressed! I wouldn't worry unless your score goes down to a 4.5 or so. You sound like a model passenger. Some of the lower ratings could be prejudice against children. Depending on your city, other services might be available, too. I live in NYC and am lucky enough to have Lyft, Via, Juno, and a couple of cab apps. I do tend to tip in cash, as long as I have it. Good luck!
    Post edited by DSDS on
  • Jenny1973Jenny1973 Posts: 850Member
    Wow. I had no idea that the passenger was rated when taking UBER. That is insane. I have used this service before but a friend sets it up. I don't even have the app. I know he tips with the app. I will have to ask him about his rating.
  • AnnAnn Posts: 1,932Member
    Actually now I read they can even leave comments about us as well. I do not know if those comments will be visible to us as riders or only to other drivers.
  • cleegiantscleegiants Posts: 1,634Member
    @Ann (or anybody) This made me wonder, how do I find my Uber rating? I've only taken it maybe a dozen times, and from what I remember, I haven't had any difficulties with them, so I don't know why it wouldn't be good, but I am curious.
    Go into Uber then click on three little bars on left side upper corner and it will give you name and your own rating.
    i swear it wasn't showing up a while ago. uhhhhh....

my rating is 4.38. this is crap. i have NEVER given any driver less than 5 stars. why are they rating me so poorly? I tip, I'm neat, I'm quiet (unless they ask questions). I didn't say anything when they were talking on their phones while driving. I didn't ask them to turn down the obnoxious rap music.

So according to @DSDS i should worry.
    Drivers definitely look at passenger ratings too before accepting a pickup - I've had Uber drivers in my city (NYC) tell me that they don't accept riders with less than 4.8 during peak hours.
    @cleegiants Have you cancelled rides before? I've heard that can really impact your rating unless you reach out to Uber CS. What you rate drivers does not influence how they rate you unfortunately :( I can't think of a reason why any of them would give you low ratings..

Also, if anyone uses UberPool, I think drivers get much more frustrated with those rides due to no fault on the passenger side. The only times I've noticed a slight drop in my rating is after using UberPool.
  • vkbrownvkbrown Posts: 360Member
    edited September 29
    Uber drivers don't know who gives them tips through the app. It is supposed to make it so that lack of a tip does not mean they give you a lower rating, but has often had the opposite effect. For the same reason, they don't know what score you give them either.

Not always, but often, Uber XL drivers, like most Uber Black (the service, that is in no way about race) drivers, are professionals or drive for a professional car service company because they have access to the best vehicles. Professional drivers are generally rougher graders because they aren't huge fans of what Uber is doing to the industry and generally haven't had to deal with this model in the past.

If you can, I'd try Uber X more often and see if your ratings improve. Again, not always, but generally Uber X drivers are nicer as they are normal people giving rides in their own car, and their livelihood often depends on Uber. Unlike professional drivers, who have other sources for riders.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: And have you tried Lyft? Drivers tend to prefer driving for Lyft, and can be happier than Uber drivers. Though many now do both.
    @annaz i have never cancelled a ride before! and yes, I have used Uber Pool, and it's been fine. oh wells.

What it probably is: I didn't know where I was once and so ithe driver may have driven around for a couple of minutes while on the phone with me as I tried to give the right intersection. He probably rated me low for that and since I have so few rides, it's made my score go pretty low.
    I have never used Uber Pool.

Also I have ridden Uber many many many times and only canceled once and it was within a minute or two of requesting.

I am beginning to think this is about tipping. I used to give $5 at the end of each ride. Now I use the app. If the riders can't see I am tipping them then they will not give me 5 stars. I really think that must be it.
  • Em1Em1 Posts: 1,127Member
    @Ann I have a 4.86 Uber rating (and only ever use Uber here in Baltimore, which is where I think you are) and I have never tipped in cash. I only use Uber X though, so that's the only thing I can think of making a difference.
  • jewlzjewlz Posts: 1,081Member
    Ok uh oh. I was not pleasant with an uber driver this week because...he drove me to the wrong city!!! No joke. He had no working gps. Didn't know where he was going (despite me entering the destination and address in the app then again giving it to him directly upon getting in the car) and I was on my phone with my daughter. When I looked up after I was finished I was like where are we??? He went the wrong direction to another city and to clairfy...I was going to the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in Manhattan!! He apparently, despite being from nyc, had never heard of it and thought there was one in some city in NJ the opposite direction from the city. When he acknowledged he was lost and had no gps...he asked to use mine. We then drove back the way we came and after 20 min passed my house again. Back to where we started. My trip took an hour making me late! So I was not very pleasant. I didn't curse or yell I was just obviously not happy and did ask things like well I gave you the address and since this city has no 53rd st where were you even going?? It seems unfair he could rate me negatively for his screw up but now I'm afraid to go get my phone and check!! I normally use lyft, do they rate too?? I'm so screwed lol.
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,519Member
    A 4.73 rating is not low so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine fell to a similar rating after a week of traveling in a place where the location services were very inaccurate and pinned me just far enough from my actual location that it was challenging for my driver to find me. Now I pay close attention to where the pin drops and text my driver to give specific info about where I am and what I am wearing if I notice that the location services look a bit off.

I also engage with the drivers, asking how their day is going, making sure to thank them and tell them to have a nice day. Just basic courtesy. My score is back up to 4.91 despite some of the low scores due to location issues early on. I don't think tipping has much to do with it because I tip on the app now that it's an option and I used to tip in cash so if anything my score has increased since I stopped cash tipping.
    Now I need to know @jewlz what is your rating?!

Does anyone know if or when we will be able to see the drivers comments about is as riders?
  • sarasara Posts: 3,384Member
    @Ann, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just one driver giving you a 4 can bring your rating down, and there's nothing between 4 and 5. If you read what uber has to say about it, you'll see that people rarely have a 5. I think that you can get one whacky driver, and everyone knows that. The thing that bothers me the most about the rating system is the driver rating you down for urging them to drive faster, etc. I have done that when my driver was going 35 on the freeway, for pete's sake, but perhaps I was rated down for that too! My son takes uber every day, and rates the drivers severely - if they don't know the city (we have a lot of drivers come in from out of the area to drive, and they can't navigate well), if they drive poorly, etc. He gives tips (through the app) and 5 stars generously to good drivers. All of his friends do too - the believe in the FB system and that it helps if it is honest. They avoid drivers with low ratings. And their ratings are all consistently high, so clearly the FB we give isn't turned over to the drivers, and the lack of a cash tip, at least in SF, isn't determinative.
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
    @ann it definitely fell. Its 4.6 now. I'm kinda pissed. I didn't even leave him 1 star!!! And it was well warranted. I wonder how low he rated me. I don't use uber much so I probably don't have many ratings to drown out a bad one lol.

So now that I know you have a lyft rating but you don't get to see it I'm bummed and want to know what my lyft rating is lol. I've never had an issue with a lyft driver but have had a few with uber so I'm guessing if my uber survived at 4.6 my lyft has to be higher. I'm chatty so ppl end up telling me their lives stories lol.
  • GrishmaGrishma Posts: 983Member
    I use lyft too. I’ve had pretty bad experiences with uber so I stick to lyft now. I’m not sure if they date riders as well.
    I’ve had a few strange lyft encounters too but unless I was driven to a wrong place n asked to get out because I was holding up traffic (true story), I have really not left a bad feedback.
    @jewlz you can try contacting Uber cs, they can ignore a rating from a bad trip if you explain what happened. You can also get a refund that way too, as it sounds like your Uber driver prolonged the trip/racked up the charge on your trip.
    @annaz no I literally told them the whole story and cs said well it sounds like your trip could have been improved thanks for the feedback here's 10% of your fare off.
    @Grishma I've barely used uber and had 2 horrible experiences so I'm sticking with lyft. The fare is usually less and I've not had bad experiences. Plus my husband and daughter both work in tech so knowing the stories about uber makes me feel guilty using it like wearing fur or something lol.
    edited September 29
    @jewlz ugh so sorry to hear that. I've had a few refunds processed but it sounds like I just got lucky with CS.

*edited to correct typo
    @annaz I was just reading on a blog someone said if the uber driver knows it was bad and fears a bad rating/complaint they have the opportunity to "beat you to it" they basically say this person was crazy I did everything right and they keep saying i was wrong but you can see I wasn't. Well something is fishy about my receipt. It says he picked me up somewhere in the middle of where we were lost, not my house address. It says our trip took 37 min which it did...from that point. So he changed something but I feel like cs isn't even listening to me so i gave up.
  • AACAAC Posts: 507Member
    UGH, why did I look at this thread. I just looked and mine is a paltry 4.74. Grumble, grumble...
    Ask me for my swap profile. :#
    Today an UberXL driver was frustrated with me--for being exactly in front of the address I put into the Uber app.

(Heavy Russian accent/semi-screaming into my phone)

Him: Where are you?!

Me: Right in front of the address.

Him: I don't see you!

Me: Please continue to drive to the address and you will see us there.

Him: I am there! You not there!

Me: I can see where you are. You are at an intersection down the street. You know what? I will just walk to where you are.

Him: I see you! Why you not at address?!

Me: Why was I not standing in the middle of a random intersection with two children? Um . . .

I go to the car and get in. I have already given up and assume my Uber rating will be horrible. Normally I advise the driver to ignore the Uber routing from this location and go a different way to save us from hellacious traffic but I am afraid of further upsetting the driver. The car smells of cigarette smoke.

Him: Why I drive here from 14 minutes away?!

Me: Trying to understand what specific circle of Hell this is . . . Hmm?

Him: I drive 14 minutes to take you 2 minutes!! There no other car here?!

Me: I don't know.

Him: This traffic is terrible!! How will we ever get out of here?! (Usually I direct them the other way)

Me: Hmm.

Him: My God!!! My God!!!

Amazingly this ended with one of my children bringing up the fast starting soon and him deciding fasting for 25 hours was Very Impressive (it isn't) and I think somehow I got a pass.

My rating is still 4.73.
  • GrishmaGrishma Posts: 983Member
    Oh seven hells! This is infuriating!
  • whitpickwhitpick Posts: 945Member
    Wow I never even checked before. 4.89. Woo-hoo