Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swappers who don't respond?

clm17clm17 Posts: 2Member
I'm fairly new to the site and love being able to swap. I've experienced some great swappers, but the are quite a few that never respond to a swap request. Do others find his happens a lot? I would think if you don't want to swap it is easy to cancel it so a person can move on, rather than waiting in limbo waiting for a response. Thanks for any feedback

Comments

• AngienharryAngienharry Posts: 1,370Member
    I'm a new swapper too. So far I haven't had that happen yet. But to be honest I've stuck to only swapping with people who actively post comments here since I was a little intimidated by the whole thing.
  • kylajaclynkylajaclyn Posts: 3,226Member
    Yeah it happens frequently. I stick to people who follow something that is on my list and that has eliminated a lot of that for me. But I still have about 7 or 8 right now that have not responded at all. It's okay cuz I was down to just stuff I wanted to get rid of, but it is frustrating when you genuinely want an item. If they don't respond within a day or two I usually just write them off. Unless they specifically state in their profile that they can take a while to respond. I don't see at as being in limbo though - just more offers that can come in for that item.
  • NatlovesmelodyNatlovesmelody Posts: 3,412Member
    @clm17 welcome to the forum and swapping. I find both when I actively swap. I am quite chatty (really!? LOL) sometimes it starts a nice conversation which has led into lovely friends other times.......radio silence. My need for at least some instant gratification in word or deed, leads me to cancel rather quickly. I do understand someone weighing their options, just tell me and my patience meter lasts longer. On the flip side, there have been times when I might have been overwhelmed and a few requests slipped through the cracks.....

@Angienharry you are right, there are really great ladies and @Ponder88 (when he is finally off the wait list ) to share a swap.
  • ChristineChristine Posts: 958Member
    @clm17 We all forget or get too busy, I hate to admit this, but it is true.
  • chrischris Posts: 3,862Member, Moderator
    Welcome to the forum, @clm17! :)
  • rockin_on05rockin_on05 Posts: 437Member
    There were some people who will never respond or reply. We found out with the having been active in over a month where some of that was coming from. Yet there are some who still won't reply or respond. It's not that everyone Will comment or say sorry or didn't see anything etc. And some won't even cancel. And another reason for swaps cancelling after 10 days to clear out lost forgotten swaps and swaps that went unresponsive, etc.

Yea, I would like to know then and there within a considerable amount of time. And Leaving a swap open at least let me know hey they looked. And it's still a "reply" in my mind if they didn't say anything.
  • StephanieStephanie Posts: 827Member
    I love swapping but I think it's important to remember that people get busy too. I am a full time doctoral student and I work full time. Plus, I get soooo many requests that it can be overwhelming. I'm not nearly as active as I used to be either because the climate on the site has changed. The site allows up to 10 days to respond before it expires, so be patient :) Welcome @clm17
  • ChristineChristine Posts: 958Member
    edited December 2015
    Hmmmm, @Stephanie your listings are almost too good to be true. I want to swap with you!! :p drooling (Working on finding items you are following that are still new.)
  • CCCCCCCC Posts: 1,025Member
    I wouldn't take it personally.. I try to respond to all, but sometimes I get really busy and I will check, but not be in the mood to swap. I will leave it alone in the hope that I'll go back to it and suddenly see something I really want. Sometimes during that time, someone else will request the item and I'll see something I really like.. And if I accept, the first request auto-cancels without my ever having responded to it.
  • missycat928missycat928 Posts: 1,090Member
    @Stephanie I agree with @Christine - you have one of the best lists on MSA! I have wanted the NM throw since joining. I think we have similar subs tho - :).
    Thanks @missycat928 , I swapped my soul for that NM throw.
  • kylajaclynkylajaclyn Posts: 3,226Member
    edited December 2015
    And now you are swapping it away @stephanie?! What did you have to swap for it? For the record I cancelled ours because I swapped the bowl and that was the only thing I had from your follow list.
  • somanyboxessomanyboxes Posts: 2,008Member
    It might also be this time of year. And the popularity of the item. I was out of the country on vacation for nearly 2 weeks. And catching up on work and life. And have a ton of requests sitting for popsugar Neiman Marcus tray. I can get through the other requests faster, but there are so many for that item. :/
    @Stephanie what made you put it back on the swap list? Is it not what you expected? Are you looking for anything specific?
  • TsumqyTsumqy Posts: 405Member
    I have been a little slow to respond lately. I was holding off on putting things up in case I needed to swap for the Secret Santa and I'm still waiting for the traveling swap box to come my way so I'm really selective on what I am posting and accepting right now.
    @kylajaclyn @missycat928 , I have two. I purchased one because I had to have it and then swapped for one. I swapped several lux items from LE boxes and a 1951 clutch (back when there were only a few listed and rare). I am not looking for anything specific, but I will know when it comes up.
  • PattyKPattyK Posts: 413Member
    edited December 2015
    @Stephanie , I don't have anything on your follow list apart from the 12 Benefits spray, but I just have to comment that your swap profile photo is adorable! :)
  • reganb1reganb1 Posts: 1,029Member
    I will totally admit to being one of those swappers that is way slow to respond. I have times where my work is crazy insane and swapping just falls by the wayside. I am too tired to even look through swaps at the end of the day and then times where i actually have free time to look at the site at work so it just ebbs and flows. Sometimes even my desire and interest in swapping can do the same. One day I am so into it and the next not so much...
  • Cara0730Cara0730 Posts: 1,307Member
    edited December 2015
    I have had this happen to me a lot lately. I try to be understanding and I am very patient but I must say that it drives my OCD crazy when I look at a page of unanswered swaps! A few days is no problem for me, it's the ones that sit there for 8-10 days and just expire. I try to answer requests quickly and when I know I can't I do my best to send a note explaining why. Just a little note makes a world of difference to me. Then I don't just feel like I'm sitting in swap limbo.
    Post edited by Cara0730 on
  • nananana Posts: 835Member
    I'd say most people don't respond to swap requests within a few days. I, personally, may not respond myself if I don't find anything I immediately like.
  • olive1924olive1924 Posts: 332Member
    I try to respond within a day but sometimes I wait a little bit to see if they add anything else or to give me time to think. I'd say a vast majority of my swap requests are never canceled or responded to. i used to get annoyed but I try to think of it as a bonus if someone responds now I guess and not let it bother me.
    I, personally, don't mind when someone takes a bit of time to answer a requested swap - I get it - you may not see something that you like or need, and just want to wait for a bit before you answer. Maybe that item rec'd a lot of attention and you need to weigh options.

On the other hand, I get annoyed with people who request something from you, you pick an item of theirs, and then nothing...
  • injeaniousinjeanious Posts: 25Member
    @Cara0730 I must be OCD too. I hate lists! I delete emails as quick as I can. I recopy my lists so they dont' have items crossed out. It drives me crazy seeing 3 pages of requests never responded to or cancelled. Ive gotten to the point where if something is listed 10 times, I request every one of them because I'm lucky if I get one. It seems like more than not I never get a response or a cancellation. But then again, there are plenty of great responsive people on here. It drives me even more crazy when its someone else who requests something and then doesn't respond to my offer back.