Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sizes of Samples and Swaps

Moxie5527Moxie5527 Posts: 293Member
edited December 2015 in Swaps
I've had a few swaps where I swapped a full size item for a deluxe sample size item and the "deluxe" size was far from being anywhere near "deluxe." I try to put how many ml or fl oz when I can to avoid any confusion but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I feel a bit burned but at the same time maybe it's my fault and my idea of what is "deluxe" size is skewed. Also, what I received and what was pictured look nothing alike. Anyone?

Comments

• TsumqyTsumqy Posts: 405Member
    I agree that having the size helps a lot (except for people like me that can't visualize things). I have felt burned before swapping something full sized for a teeny tiny sample. It's also a problem with people putting pictures of the full sized product up instead of a picture of the sample. It probably doesn't help that there are many different companies that sometimes put the same product in different sizes in their boxes.
  • LaurenLauren Posts: 568Member
    I thought "deluxe" sample size meant it was at least half the size of a full size product?
  • TsumqyTsumqy Posts: 405Member
    @rockin_on05 Haha that's hilarious and also kind of horrible to people who don't know the difference.
  • shamac13shamac13 Posts: 43Member
    I always interpreted "deluxe sample" to be "product in an actual tube/pot rather than a foil," but then I always list the actual amount as well anyhow. What frustrates me is when people use listings for something like a deluxe sample but they're listing a small foil instead. Yes, they do say that in the description, but it can be easy to overlook.

It's a different topic, I suppose, but I don't really understand listing a bunch of foil samples...am I the only one who gets annoyed by that? I mean, something where it's unique or more than single-use (I'm thinking like the Ouidad leave-in conditioner or DevaCurl gel I have stowed away to decant into travel bottles, or obviously sample vials of perfume), that's a bit of a different story. But maybe that's just me because I tend to include things like that as freebies in my swaps...and it's annoying to swim through pages of foils to try to find enough substantial items for a swap!
  • RainRain Posts: 696Member
    There are a lot of items on the swap site where the picture is the full size item, but everyone has the deluxe sample listed. I use those listings to list my own stuff, and I've wondered if people think that's dishonest...I certainly don't mean to be, but I really don't want to hunt down a picture of the deluxe sample and make a new listing for it, you know?
  • JennGJennG Posts: 2,452Member
    I personally have never been burned by this bc I don't really do beauty swaps but I have definitely seen many listings that say deluxe sample and I have the same item from BB and I'm like there is nothing deluxe about it, it's regular sample size. People put deluxe on any sample.
  • JennGJennG Posts: 2,452Member
    @shamac13 I'm there with you on the foil samples. The minute they come in they go into the freebie box.
  • LetsGeauxLetsGeaux Posts: 1,899Member
    When I first started swapping, you didn't have to list the size. I got SO BURNED once that I almost quit swapping. About a week after, the size box appeared. I was so happy and now I really pay attention to the size. If it isn't listed, I'm not shy about asking.
  • tealiytealiy Posts: 98Member
    I list items as "deluxe sample" to clarify that it's not a foil. Sometimes I say "travel size." It's interesting that people have different interpretations of what qualifies as a deluxe sample, like for instance, I think of what Birchbox includes as typical deluxe sample sizes.
  • ChristineChristine Posts: 958Member
    Size is a problem for all the reasons above. There was someone with over 100 foil packs. Other than using these for donations, why would I want to swap a LUX item for foil packs?

Foil packs in the smallest, then sample size, the deluxe/travel , full size
    Some products come in many sizes.
  • JenniferLouiseJenniferLouise Posts: 316Member
    I typically think of samples a deluxe if they are not foil packets and can in all probability be used multiple times. But I do always list exact sizes along with my guesstimate of what deluxe means, but I am now realizing everyone's interpretation of it is different. I will definitely think twice before using this term when listing.
  • nananana Posts: 835Member
    I think it's clear that we all have different conceptions of what deluxe sample is. For me, as well, is one that includes multiple uses. But sometimes a deluxe sample can be tiny. I swapped a facial highlighter that was super tiny, but it was still 3/4 the size of the full size product, which sold for close to $40!
  • MelissaBMelissaB Posts: 1,764Member
    edited December 2015
    @Rain I just did that last night. Everyone seems to be using the picture of a full size The Balm "Frat Boy" blush/shadow. I just made sure to clarify in my listing that it is smaller than pictured. I agree - tracking down photos and so forth can be a pain. I have done it many times, but sometimes I just want things to be easy, you know? Plus, if multiple people have already listed under that listing, then people who are looking for that item are probably following it. When I start a new listing, no one is following it yet.
    http://swap.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/user/8125/profile

You could send some people a box of roses, and they'd complain about the thorns, or the smell, or the color.
  • AnnAnn Posts: 2,004Member
    I have a major issue with people listing items and showing a picture that does not look like the item. I had someone send me a deluxe sample as a swap bonus because they know I always send a little something extra. Went to list it on the swap site and found the sizes listed ranged from foil sample all the way to full size but all were tagged to same full size product photo. Even though there were many listed on the site I refused to use that picture and created a new listing.