Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do with gently used makeup?

svollgasvollga Posts: 149Member
Sorry if this topic was raised before, I couldn't find it.

I have collected a bunch of make-up that was mostly used once or twice, and is quite usable still, but I don't use it for some reasons. I don't want to just throw it away, but don't want to store it, either. (Plus, I'm moving in several months.) I used to deal with it by giving it to my friends (and I have aquired some of my much-used makeup from them), but right now, I'm in a different city from them. Makeup I have can be sanitized for use - it's mostly eyeshadow palettes, pencil liners that can be sharpened, foundations in tubes. What can I do with it?

Comments

• nehaneha Posts: 1,159Member
    There is a site called glambot where you can sell your high end makeup. I'm not sure if they accept gently used items. But it maybe worth checking them once.
  • Moxie5527Moxie5527 Posts: 293Member
    If sanitized, you might want to contact the local womens shelter and see if they are interested. I'm sure they would really appreciate the gesture!
  • Moxie5527Moxie5527 Posts: 293Member
    edited January 2016
    @allisen I hope you didn't think I meant to give stuff you wouldn't otherwise give bc it was not up to standards. I meant that if her friends already had enough cosmetics, I'm sure others would also be interested.
  • mopeysealion4820mopeysealion4820 Posts: 1,110Member
    edited January 2016
    There is lots of sampled cosmetics on the swap site, so I'd say plenty of people are willing to use used makeup. My sister works at a battered women's shelter- I'm happy to ask if they take gently used makeup.
  • svollgasvollga Posts: 149Member
    I thought about women's shelters, but quick googling showed that they only take new/sealed makeup (at least those I've found). But, @mopeysealion , if you can ask it would be great - I even don't mind shipping it!

I've seen a lot of used makeup up for swaps on swapidu, and even have my own listed, but I don't have high hopes.
  • AnnAnn Posts: 2,098Member
    @svollga

Throw it out. Please. It just is not a good idea for people to share cosmetics, skincare and other hygiene items -- even close family members. Used cosmetics or skincare (and that includes swatched) should not in my opinion be allowed on the MSA swap board. This is coming from someone who donates to Goodwill weekly and hates to see things go in the trash. I know how hard it can be to toss something.
  • ChristineChristine Posts: 958Member
    By law, homeless shelters etc cannot accept used products. Anything that LOOKS like it was used, will be tossed. Sadly, there isn't anything to do with used make-up and cosmetics.
  • CaptBeefcakesBabyCaptBeefcakesBaby Posts: 643Member
    My daughters theatre will take it. She does musicals with community theatre. As long as it's something that can be sanitized they can use it. @svollga
  • WendyMWendyM Posts: 867Member
  • BridgetBridget Posts: 294Member
    Following this topic, I've been wondering what to do with my barely used nail polishes; apparently I've over-swapped for them. Some of them I've used for like one manicure before I decided the color or formula wasn't for me. I hate to dispose of them since many of them are 3 or less years old and are almost full. Is there anywhere that takes nail polish donations, at least donations that *look* new?
  • JennGJennG Posts: 2,500Member
    @Bridget I know @Sylvia mentioned she goes through nil polish like water (pun intended) maybe ask her?
  • BridgetBridget Posts: 294Member
    Double post, but as for other types of used/expired makeup such as eye shadow palettes, lipstick, pencil eyeliner, etc, I've heard you can use them to make artwork. People may not want to apply used makeup to their skin, but I don't think there's anything wrong with applying it to paper! But the most artistic thing I've done lately is adult coloring books, so what do I know??
  • WendyMWendyM Posts: 867Member
    I'm hoping someone makes a thread where we can post our fave coloring book pages @Bridget. I think a lot of us got those coloring books for Christmas. I'm slightly obsessed with mine.
    @Bridget, I love trying new polishes, even if they were used for a few manis I don't care much - I never finish my polishes before they go bad, anyway (that's why I love minis), and I don't find used polish unsanitary - as was mentioned above, they are all used in the salons. And there are a lot of postings of slightly used polishes here and on other swap sites.
  • HappyWifeHappyWife Posts: 2,164Member
    I think Whole Foods does an annual makeup exchange for coupons. So really it depends if you like the brands they carry.
  • ChristineChristine Posts: 958Member
    Apparently germs do not survive in nail polish -- otherwise how would people get manicures.
    @Sylvia, thank you for sharing this very personal thing.

I have the same way of thinking. Although I understand the problems of hygiene and sanitation in the shelters. And some people can be really shitty - just thinking that even gross stuff will be used by those in need.

I'm shipping my makeup to @CaptBeefcakesBaby , but I have also collected a bag of shampoos and shower gels that I have used a couple of times but won't use anymore because I can afford to be picky about scents/effects. But they are going to the homeless people (we have a McDonalds nearby that serves as a "homeless central") because this is stuff that is always needed.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 7Member
    @svollga Thanks, that's very hard to share, but if I don't then people do forget or simply may not know that many of the homeless - most, in my experience - aren't there because they're terrible people or want to be homeless. They've just had some terrible things happen and couldn't find a way out of it safely - or maybe being homeless is their only way out of it. I take a deep breath and speak up and I tell other homeless and formerly people to do the same. (I do volunteer peer counseling with the homeless now a few times a month)

Still - be careful when dealing with homeless people. Not all are nice and some are crazier than a bag of squirrels, to put it nicely. It's very nice of you to take things to where you know they are - some people do that and I always appreciated them, especially the one who used to bring me little bottles of hotel shampoo and conditioner and brand new warm socks (YAY!) - but be aware that you may bump into a mean or nutty one, so please be careful.
    http://swap.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/user/7208/profile

One person can set the tone in any human interaction in any environment. I choose to always set the tone in my interactions with others. The tone I choose to set will be joyful, compassionate, empathetic, tolerant, loving, peaceful and kind.
  • ankareedaankareeda Posts: 538Member
    Sylvia said:

I'm going to tell you why that is the Best Thing EVER.

I was in a similar situation when I was in middle school (Mom and I fled a bad situation together) and I couldn't agree more. I always sanitize EVERYTHING before donating or giving away and don't donate or give away things that can't be sanitized (lip glosses, mascara), but I know so many people who have really benefited from the self-esteem boost that a new perfume or eye shadow can give a woman. I volunteer at a food bank and domestic violence center and have had men and woman cry over basic toiletries and cosmetics.
  • kylajaclynkylajaclyn Posts: 3,229Member
    @christine @svollga I disagree that there is nothing to do with it - you could always make an art project!!
  • EssieJaiEssieJai Posts: 44Member
    Hi all. So every month or so I gather a few friends and we make bundles (that we try and make look pretty as gifts) for the women's shelter, toiletries, toothbrushes, etc, and I wondered about makeup though I just always got whatever they said was on their most needed list. One of the beauty youtubers I watch posted she found a place to donate gently used makeup (except items with a wand) so I thought I would share- its called projectbeautyshare.org and it's based in Washington state but I'm trying to figure out if we can also send items in from other areas, or if it's just drop off locations for ladies out that way. Just thought i would add that bit of info!
  • TPopTPop Posts: 138Member
    @Sylvia Your story is very moving and honest and I am happy that you are in a better place now. I just wanted to mention that you might share a bit of your expansive compassion with mentally ill people. Having a biological illness through no fault of their own does not make them less human either. It would be kind to consider how you describe these people to others.
  • PinkDotPinkDot Posts: 153Member
    edited November 2016
    Ah, used makeup isn't dangerous at all - have you ever read of lawsuits? Nope, because, thankfully, cosmetic companies use preservatives. (Including parabens - nothing wrong with that.) In addition, there has to be water & food for bacteria to grow. Inside a mascara tube or some liquid lipsticks - that's a maybe.

I've been given, or used to buy on ebay used makeup for years. Best way to clean lipsticks, etc, is swish around in alcohol for 20 seconds. That's how they used to sterilize needles in hospitals, and still do in some countries!

It's more fun to get it new in boxes, I agree, but have always had fun with, and appreciate used items to try out. So much fun. And no mental health issue (besides the normal ones!) or homeless here...just a difference of opinion.

Post edited by PinkDot on
  • JennGJennG Posts: 2,500Member
    @EssieJai please keep me posted would love to donate