Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is This Product Any Good?

LeahLeah Posts: 4,090Member
edited December 2016 in All Other Boxes
I have so many products from sub boxes that I'd love to know more about. Should I swap? Should I keep? How good is it? What's your review?

Let's start with the products in these photos. Opinions?

Comments

• MoonAndStarsMoonAndStars Posts: 742Member
    edited December 2016
    @Leah I adore the It's a 10 line. I haven't used the version you have, but both my mom my mother in law have thin hair and they say that one works wonderfully for them.
  • cleegiantscleegiants Posts: 1,847Member
    @leah I love its a 10 as well, although I haven't tried this lite one. Same goes with alterna products.. I use the densifying foam and have tried other shampoos and conditioners that I like.. It's just pricey in general, so getting to try it out with sub boxes is really great. I gifted the chrisophe robin hair thing so I can't speak to that. I'd say use the small sizes first and then you can decide if you want to keep using it. If you start it and don't like it, there are people in this forum who will take your "lightly used" products,. So you don't have to worry about wasting it.
  • LeahLeah Posts: 4,090Member
    @MoonAndStars It's for thin hair? I have thick, curly hair. :) Maybe that means it's not for me! I just don't know what its purpose is....

@cleegiants Really? That's a good point. People are willing to swap for used things with a pump or a squeeze tube. Hmm.... I've got so much haircare, I really need to cull. I keep culling, and it keeps growing.
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,807Member
    @Leah fwiw I've tried Suave leave-in creams in the past & liked them -- but I have fine, straight hair. I know a lot of people like the It's a 10 line, but I didn't care for it when I tried it.

I also have the Wella & Christophe Robin products in my hoard waiting to be used... along with many, many others.
  • cleegiantscleegiants Posts: 1,847Member
    @leah I have thinner than I'd like hair (but a lot of it) and the regular it's a 10 is probably slightly too heavy for my hair. It's suppose to be a good smoother, sleeker, tamer of hair so based on my experience and reading, the lite version probably won't be enough for your hair.. But again, you never know how hair will react.

And amen about the culling and growing. Donate 1, 3 new come back...
  • mvpmvp Posts: 391Member
    @Leah all good, but for different purposes & desired results. :)
  • MoonAndStarsMoonAndStars Posts: 742Member
    @Leah it's not specifically for thin hair, but it's a lighter version of the regular formula, sor it doesn't weigh down thinner hair. It's a leave in conditioner and detangler. I have the regular and it works wonders on my thick coarse hair!
  • flingoflingo Posts: 1,003Member
    I haven't used any of the products in your photos, although I did just swap for the It's a 10 Lite. I have thin hair and cannot use any of the regular It's a 10 stuff, but I'm hopeful that the lite version will work for me. I still think anything with "leave-in" in the name will probably be too much for my hair, but we'll see. :) I don't know if the "lite" formula is specifically designed for thinner hair or not, but the the follicly blessed seem to really enjoy the regular version. :)
    @cleegiants Hmmm.... Okay. Well if anyone here wants it, I'm willing to part with it. I think I actually have a started regular It's a 10 in my bathroom. I just never know what to do with it because the claims on the back are so grand. I've sold the other ones I've gotten because again, I don't know what to do with it.

And yes! My gosh. It keeps growing and it takes forever for me to use them up!

@entwashian Our hair is opposite. Why would someone with fine, straight hair need a leave-in product?

@mvp Ha, that's helpful :)
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,807Member
    @Leah super dry & straw-like at the ends + I also have a lot of trouble with split ends. :# It's also getting frizzier as I get older. I need to stay sleeeek.
  • CaseyDog44CaseyDog44 Posts: 899Member
    @Leah I've used the Marula oil & mask. I find the mask a bit heavy for my hair and that's hard to do because I have dry curly hair. I'm finishing it up but I won't swap or buy more.
    @CaseyDog44 Oooh, thank you! I've had it sitting for so long and it's such an expensive item I've been looking for an excuse to get rid of it. If you would say it's made your hair gorgeous, I would hold on to it, but I think I'm going to put it up for swap right now.

I've been using a Pureology hair mask for a while now (from an Allure Beauty Thrills box). I don't get it. My hair is still my hair.
  • janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 1,148Member
    The Alterna product you have in the photo is just "meh" so I'd swap it if I were you. I've used pretty much every Alterna item they have since I found out that their Caviar shampoo and conditioner was my HG when a stylist fried my hair. Nothing else worked and that shampoo and conditioner actually made my hair healthy and soft again. I will say that for me personally the only products of theirs that are "keep it" status for me is any of their shampoo lines and their bamboo shine mist. Anything else isn't worth the money in my opinion but everyone has different hair types so who knows¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Marie27Marie27 Posts: 45Member
    I don't know about thick, curly hair but for my medium, wavy hair the Christophe Robin has worked for my frizz! It also makes my hair slightly softer :)

The smell isn't as strong after you wash it out, I know some had issues with the smell (but I actually like powdery scents, I've worn Cashmere mist since I was a teen)
  • shimmyshimmy Posts: 2Member
    I have super thick, curly hair (although I straighten it about half the time) and I really like that Caviar milk stuff. I actually just discovered it this month thanks to my shtrands sub. I love pretty much anything from Alterna though, especially their smooth bamboo line.

I haven't tried that particular It's a 10 product, but I've tried a few things from them and wasn't a fan of any of it. My mom has thick, straight hair and loves their stuff, so I think it just depends on your hair type.
  • LunaLuna Posts: 1,775Member
    @leah While looking at your collection, I realized I have all that you have with the exception of the Suave and (maybe) the Wella (I'd have to get up to check, but I'm feeling too lazy right now). Out of curiosity, in which sub box did you receive the Marula products? I received a full sized Marula oil in a My Curls Understood box earlier this year (they no longer provide subscription box services, unfortunately). Funny enough, just today I "purchased" (but really got for free with Ulta points) the Marula mask at Ulta for half off, and received a 4oz It's a 10 lite as a GWP (I also got a couple of John Masters detanglers that was supposed to come with a GWP, but they were out and they gave me the It's a 10 instead, which I thought worked out better). Anyway, I'm already liking the look of your stash (as it reminds me of mine... but I know we have different perspectives when it comes to our "collections" :wink: ), and I can't wait to see what else you post! :) Best of luck in purging & using up your stash!
  • sarasara Posts: 3,876Member
    @leah, I have fine straight hair, and I love that alterna milk- it gets the snarls out after shampooing without weighing my hair down. If you try it and don't like it, I'd be happy to swap for it in gently used condition. I think we need some sort of a swap board just to trade volumizing products for smoothing products!
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
    @Luna It was from the Rachel Zoe Box of Style last year. That isn't my stash! I wish it was. That was just some stuff I wanted to know more about.

This attached picture is my stash (not including the stuff I have started).
    @sara Oh my gosh, that's so true! :) I love that. Should I be putting something in my hair after I wash it? I'm such an ignoramus when it comes to hair.
  • lisatratolisatrato Posts: 679Member
    i use it's a 10 all the time.. not that lite version though because it is not strong enough to tame my hair. If you have thick, curly hair @Leah then the lite version won't work for you. It never did for me, it was just like spraying water in my hair. lol just made it frizzier. However i believe in the all healing miracle of the regular it's a 10. ;) Ok, maybe not miracle, but i do love it.
    edited December 2016
    @lisatrato Aw, I sold all the regular ones I had because I didn't know what to do with it! I don't have crazy thick hair, but it's decently curly. I appreciate the info, I'll try to get rid of them. I'm not sure if they're from sub boxes, probably from Ulta GWPs.
  • lisatratolisatrato Posts: 679Member
    @Leah oh.. i have very thick, crazy curly/wavy/frizzy hair.. so i try to swap for the stuff whenever i can. When i am running low i stalk the swap site to find more. haha luckily sub boxes send them out often and folks with thinner hair don't always like it because it weighs down hair.
    @lisatrato Oh well. Too late. I'm sure I can find something else in my stash that serves the same purpose :)
  • CiCiCiCi Posts: 639Member
    If you haven't used the Kevin Murphy I will gladly take it! Probably shouldn't swap it though because it's the best stuff ever. But if you do I'm here :)
    @CiCi What's good about it?

@lisatrato I looked up the It's a 10 Lite because I put it up on ebay and it says straight on Ulta's website that it's for fine hair! It doesn't say that on the bottle though.
    @Leah it's very concentrated so you only need a little bit, sulfate/paraben free, incredibly moisturizing without being heavy, and smells divine. I have very coarse, curly hair and I swear I haven't had one day of frizz since I started using the hydrate me shampoo/conditioner and easy rider styling cream. Killer curls is good too but I have been styling more wavy than curly lately so easy rider has been my go to. And it smells best of all.

I cannot say enough good things about Kevin Murphy products!!
    @CiCi That's really interesting! I'm going to keep them then :) I don't have coarse hair but I have a lot of it and it's curly. I just got a haircut and my hair stylist commented again about how much hair I have. I'm not sure that's the same thing as thick. What do I know....

(How much is a little bit? A quarter-sized amount would be enough?)
    And just for the record, the products are definitely expensive, but they last a really long time. I use about a dime size amount of the styling cream for my shoulder length hair. I used to pile on product after product trying to control the unruliness, and now I can achieve perfection with one little swipe. It's almost too easy.
    @leah for the shampoo, start with a quarter size in your palm, add a little water and lather it in your hands before applying to your hair. I rub it the conditioner in my hands too but it doesn't lather of course.
    @CiCi Wow, that's fascinating. I don't think I ever lather shampoo in my hands. Wait, am I supposed to? :) There are so many things we do with personal hygiene that we only know what we do, but we don't actually know if they're normal, know what I mean?

And I just looked up the price. Holy moly, that's expensive! It's more than Aveda. The only other really expensive shampoo and conditioner I've tried is Oribe (came in a Net-a-Porter box) and while it's good, it hasn't blown my mind. My hair is still my hair.