Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do people do about swappers with a crazy number of swaps in progress during the holidays?

sarasara Posts: 4,228Member
So, I have gotten a few swap requests in the last few days from swappers with a crazy number of swaps in progress- 19, 25. Severally have had potential swaps I would love. But I am fearful. I know a lot of people are swapping like crazy for gifts, and I'm not thinking they are all swaplifters. But I do think that it might be a sign they have bitten off more than they can chew.

So what do you guys do? I have been messaging a question to them about whether a swap would work, and I am thinking I am going to let communication be my guide- but I know the site is glitchy about notifications right now. I am thinking if they don't respond, no swap. What do you think?
I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!

Comments

• ElmaElma Posts: 1,147Member
    @sara ... since they have >10 swaps in progress, they would be required to ship 1st - that way, if you're worried - you don't have to send till you have your items in hand ... as for communication - it is awesome but I had some really nice swaps without any communication (no response to my messages at all) ... but, bottom line: if you do not feel 'right' - do not swap :) ... trust your gut-feeling :)
  • Jenny1973Jenny1973 Posts: 978Member
    I could not even imagine shipping 19-25 packages out. I could really throw a wrench in that, the packages would be all over the place and shipped to the wrong place!!! :D
  • lisatratolisatrato Posts: 679Member
    One time i had 7 swaps i had to ship at once and i thought i was going to lose my mind and mess it all up. Did a triple check on all packages with little invoice slips and all! haha now, i can't imagine having anything over 10.... wow! Some people are good with that kind of pressure or whatever you want to call it.. Work? haha. Not me.. it stressed me out! Would love to hear others opinions of this matter.
  • flingoflingo Posts: 1,003Member
    Having a lot of swaps in progress doesn't bother me at all as long as the swapper's feedback is good. :) It also doesn't necessarily mean the swapper has X number of packages that are waiting to be sent out - they might be aggressively sending out requests and/or have a bunch of popular items and thus have a lot of swaps in the accept/cancel stage. They also might have pre-listed items from a box they have not yet received and are waiting for those boxes to come in before entering shipping info.

If I needed something imminently, I would probably be more inclined to get it from a swapper with fewer swaps in progress, but if I'm not in a huge rush, it doesn't bother me. :)
  • JosiekatJosiekat Posts: 31Member
    I just swapped with one such high(like 21, now its down to 3 swaps in progress) number during holidays and I think I got swaplifted to the tune of over $125. This is my first bad transaction but enough that it may put me off for quite awhile as I had 3 higher values in there that I had MANY offers for(and now they are gone). She provided a tracking number but I just checked it she just created a label but it was never shipped(from the 22nd) She received my stuff today. I didn't wait, I should have and I was obviously too trusting. I left a comment on our swap but I probably won't hear anything. I'm really mad that in the busyness of the holidays I shipped it without thinking too much since she had all positives up until a few days ago.
  • sarasara Posts: 4,228Member
    @Josiekat, how long has it been? Honestly, right before the holidays with the mail like it has been, I wouldn't be too concerned about a label created the 22nd that isn't showing up yet. She might have forgotten to mail it or have dropped it off at the PO- if it was late on the day the 23rd at my PO they might not have scanned it in yet. The post offices were really slammed, didn't deliver yesterday and some of them have gotten downright slow about putting packages through. the 22nd was just last Thursday- when did you agree to the swap? And does she now have negative reviews?
    It was created on the 20th. Then a recent neutral feedback from someone who never received their item(left on the 24th). Just doesn't look good. She had only positives and "fast shipper" feedback before I agreed. I should have clicked through the tracking number to make sure it was on the way. I didn't. We shipped Christmas Eve to make sure it went out within 4 days. It was only my 14th swap. I had been hesitant to swap my bigger ticket items until recently(a few I removed recently)
  • chefkristinchefkristin Posts: 2,172Member
    @Josiekat I know who you are referring to, I fear a possible swap lifter based on her listings and lack of shipping. She had 25 pending at one point and it dropped to 19 after the negative it dropped to 3 and she keeps listing new items.
    @chefkristin No, this one just has one recent neutral and all the rest positives(oddly about not receiving her swap...why not a neg?) but less than a page and a half of listings. So myself and 2 others should be the only ones affected unless they are closed with no feedback.
    Oh, no. The swapper you are talking about is the one I started this thread about. I cancelled the requested swap on the 23rd because she didn't answer the questions I had posed her about her items- I had asked the color of an item and she never responded. At that point she had twenty one swaps, so I thought if it was the color item I wanted, I would ask if she minded if I waited to ship til after I got her item. Since I never heard from her, I decided she had too much on her plate to swap with. But I have to be honest- I really wanted to do the swap, cause she wanted a high value item I have been trying to get rid of, but something felt wrong to me. I went back over her ratings multiple times, because she had several swaps where the same people had given her feedback. I am so sorry this has happened and I am really hoping it is just what I thought, that she is just overwhelmed with all of these swaps.
    Yep...well I am considering letting her know that I am contacting the local police for mail fraud. I was an Ebay seller(actively) years ago and this method works when you are out $ or product. Someone tried to scam me out of almost $85 worth of Tupperware and the police got involved and it worked out in my favor. That's why I asked if anyone here had tried this with swaplifters. Thanks for letting me know @sara
    That's an interesting plan, @Josiekat. The problem I have seen with swaplifters is that it's really a civil contract we are entering into for the items. When they put the fake tracking number in though, they are using the USPS- so mail fraud might be a complaint. Let us know how this works!
    It is mail fraud when they use a fake number to elicit products from someone for nothing in return(theft).
    Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking! Good luck!
  • CarlakCarlak Posts: 72Member
    I think I had one from the same person. She requested 9 or 10 things from me and "had" items I wanted. I was hesitant because of the number of swaps. Today I saw it down to 3 and the neutral feedback, so cancelled it. Whew! Good luck!
    @Josiekat, @chefkristin, have you tried notifying the moderators, @chris and @Liz Cadman ? I know there's not been a response from them on the other thread about the other swapper, but I do think that if they could get involved at this stage they could possibly get the items. Perhaps this swapper just got kind of caught up in a pyramid, where she is waiting for items before she sends them out and is afraid to communicate that...
    @sara @chefkristin I think my swap may have shipped late yesterday under another tracking number. If you haven't signed up on the USPS site for notifications for all packages coming to you, I highly recommend it. In this case, it may have kept me from jumping the gun. Looks like it will arrive Saturday. Color me shocked. Still not a good practice but I wonder if there is more to this than I am seeing on my end.
    BTW, the swapper in question is actively swapping again. Just a heads up.
  • meshellllmeshellll Posts: 272Member
    This entire thread makes me so anxious and uncomfortable. I recently had shipping issues, and am so thankful for how everyone has been understanding and seemed to be ok and empathetic. I try and be patient and mindful that swaps are fun and life happens...
    @meshellll, I think if there is communication there is never a problem- it's when people stop answering messages (or better yet, message themselves) that people get worried.
  • meshellllmeshellll Posts: 272Member
    Yeah. I can see that. I've been really lucky about swaps, and have tried to be on top of everything. This is the first time I've found myself in a shipping nightmare, and I'm so paranoid that I'm worrying people or otherwise messing up. I can see how bad experiences change perceptions.

But I also try and be ok with a few days for communication. As someone with major depression and anxiety, I have had those periods where I can't even handle immediate responses.
    @meshellll My swapper has not communicated at all except for a fake tracking number. Thankfully the number of swappers that are bad eggs is extremely low. I'm ready to start listing and swapping again. Just going to be more careful/mindful than before.
    edited December 2016
    People from here know you, @meshellll, so I don't think you would worry any of us. And for me at least, it all depends upon the expectation. If someone doesn't say they ship within 3-4 days and then they don't, or they say initially they will get it out by the weekend, I am fine with it. And I've had people say they had something come up and it will be another week and I'm fine with that too! Everyone gets sick, or has family stuff come up. I think it's just when there's radio silence and actual negative feedback that people start to fret- as well as when people start to see multiple evpensive items get listed on swaps, where it seems unlikely people would have that many
  • nelliebelle1197nelliebelle1197 Posts: 2,769Member
    @Josiekat are you sure it is fake and not just a typo? Especially now that you see movement in the tracker? I have done that before.
    @nelliebelle1197 No, totally different number. I think because so many open swaps were going with this one, there was some odd tracking and shipping...no idea why. But there are still 5 open swaps. She waited until mine arrived in hand and fully before she shipped mine, shipped it priority with a totally different number(I only had 2 open swaps and a flawless review record). I was told in the pop-up not to ship until I received mine....I shipped when the tracking number was added only to find out it was a dead number and nothing was ever actually shipped. The new number is coming from that city and was shipped yesterday after my swap was received. I hope that makes sense.
  • apobecapobec Posts: 49Member
    I think I know who you're talking about, too. I had a swap with her and shipped out my items (despite the pop up), since I was mailing out some other swaps anyway. She sent a message saying that she's been having a hard time, so I'm willing to keep giving her the benefit of doubt. But I definitely have a tracking number that hasn't moved in a week.
    I'm glad she is communicating. That makes it much more optimistic
  • chefkristinchefkristin Posts: 2,172Member
    If she is having a hard time she should stop swapping! She is still listing and swapping but at least she started to communicate. I understand things happen but if you are actively swapping you should communicate so they know there will be a delay. Sorry for my rant LOL!
  • apobecapobec Posts: 49Member
    Just an update, I received my package from her today. Just letting you all know.
    I'm so glad, @apobec! Hopefully she is just getting caught up!