Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expired swap listings??

michellemccmichellemcc Posts: 632Member
I have been very lucky with all of my swaps. There has been no missing items nor any wrong items sent to me. However I have received a few products that were bad. As in spoiled, or dried up. My question is this-how do we know when an item should be thrown out if there is no expiration date listed? Also would you mention it to the swapper who sent you a spoiled item?

Comments

• lisatratolisatrato Posts: 679Member
    i would bring it up to the person i swapped with is it was that bad where the product was dried up or obviously very old. Since i joined i have been wondering this same with, because i had listed one of those folica hair serums that came in a beautyfix box a year ago.. someone brought it to my attention that the product might be expired so i checked and removed it from my listings. Then a few weeks later i saw someone looking for it on the forum and said that even if it was expired they didn't care because it was still useable. But i really do try my hardest to check all beauty products to see if they have expiration dates listed. I would hate to include a bad product and upset somebody.
  • michellemccmichellemcc Posts: 632Member
    @lisatrato It has been awhile since I had those swaps. I figured they had no way of knowing if there wasn't an expiration date. But it did cause me to pay greater attention to how long I will leave things on my swap list. I also have read here on the forum swappers saying they didn't care if a particular item was expired. If I know something is expired I just throw it away. I am like you I sure do not want to send anyone anything that would be bad.
  • MariaNGMariaNG Posts: 1,889Member
    I got something from Birchbox once that was totally dried out so it's not just swappers having that issue. It was one of the last boxes they did in Canada so I didn't get a replacement. I think it was a TonyMoly lip tint which I was looking forward to trying. Oh, and I finished up my points by buying a full size Naobay moisturizer because I'd liked the sample. It was rancid :( and again no recourse because Birchbox was not shipping to Canada anymore.
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,923Member
    This is the main reason I don't swap much for beauty unless it's very clear what box it came from and when. I've received several rancid lotions, oils, and lip products in swaps. If it's a oil-based product I pull it from my list after about 6 months but I think up to a year is probably fine. I tend to shy away from swaps with people who have pages and pages of listing with beauty items from boxes that I know are 2 years old.
  • HeatheryHeathery Posts: 1,313Member
    If something doesn't have an expiration date, I try to remember to put what month and year I received it.

Swap Profile ~*~ Goodreads ~*~ PaperBackSwap Profile
    "Be strong," I whispered fervently to my wifi signal.

• flingoflingo Posts: 1,003Member
    edited December 2016
    I think for me, whether or not I told the swapper would depend on a couple of things. If it was a full size item that was the main thing I swapped for, yes, I would probably tell them. If it was a sample sized item that was part of a larger swap....I probably wouldn't bother mentioning it unless they had multiples of that item up for swap. I mostly just try to only swap for beauty items I know came from boxes less than a year old. Not a fool-proof method, because sometimes the boxes themselves send out bad samples, but it reduces the risk at least.

Truth time - I immediately throw away any foil packets that swappers send me as extras. I always feel badly about it, but the last 3 I opened (all from different swappers) were completely rancid and/or full of mold. I'm sure the swappers had no idea - there's really no way to know with foil packs unless you open them. Now I don't even look at what they are, they just go straight in the trash. :# Same with most some of the sample bottles without seals that get sent as extras, unless it's something I'm dying to try. (I actually keep a fair number of unsealed tubes as long as they look new). I'm sure some of the foils are brand new, and it's a shame to waste them, but I wouldn't feel comfortable donating them or passing them along after the things I've seen and smelled. Lol. I hope I don't sound ungrateful - I really do always appreciate the thought - but I think some of these packets and samples have been traveling cross-country from swap to swap for years.
    Post edited by flingo on
  • michellemccmichellemcc Posts: 632Member
    I think from now on I am going to list the date I receive them when I am listing them on my page.
    @MariaNG I think there really is no excuse for a sub box to send an expired item. They should have on file the date products were received as well as when the product expires. I have not had good luck with Birchbox either. It is the only sub I have canceled due to poor customer service.
    @boxjoy I have only been swapping for maybe a year. I really do not know what would be old or new. I think from now on when I love a product that just came in a box I will immediately try to swap for a couple more. At least that way I can make a note of the date it came in a box.
    @Heathery I need to remember too!
    @flingo Your experience with rancid foil packets sounds familiar. It has happened to me a couple of times. You do not sound ungrateful, you sound like you are being safe! I have been trying to send other things aside from beauty items as "extras" with my swaps. That way I know I am not sending something someone else gifted me.
    I think from now on when I get something that is spoiled I will mention it on the forum as a reminder we need to check our listings!
  • chefkristinchefkristin Posts: 2,172Member
    For the life of me I can't remember the product but I have noticed it on a couple people's swap list and I have pointed out it was expired. Some removed it some didn't. I really liked it so swapped for a ton and then realized it was expired. I hate when products don't have an expiration date!
    edited December 2016
    @flingo You're not alone. I often wonder how many times extras have been regifted, and some of them are in such bad shape or are just such bizarre things that I would be embarrassed to included them in swaps that I send so I send them to their final resting place. Thank you for also doing it and admitting that you do ;)
    Post edited by boxjoy on
  • LeahLeah Posts: 4,364Member
    @flingo @boxjoy Hmmm....I feel like we need a thread about "what do you REALLY think about extras?" Sometimes people send me the most amazing things, and sometimes I thank them but I really have no use for it. And sometimes I pass them along :) But knowing that foil packets I received in a Nordstrom GWP like...two weeks ago might be thrown in the garbage is a bit disheartening.
    @Leah I don't automatically throw extras away, but when they seem weathered like they've been shipped around for awhile or questionable I do. In the same sense that I don't want to swap questionable items I also do not want to include questionable extras with my swaps. I always appreciate the gesture of extras, but as @flingo mentioned, it's clear that some are unwanted and have made their rounds.
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,957Member
    I also see listings for stuff that I know has expiration dates on it, but seldom or never does -- not limited to beauty, either. I don't think I've ever seen a listing for a Graze snack with an expiration date on it, and they do have them -- on the nutrition info card, not the snack pack itself. It's a major pet peeve of mine, because listing expiration dates is one of the few actual rules MSA has.

Like @Heathery I've tried to list the month/year I've received beauty & food items regardless of whether they have expiration dates. But of course it comes down to the companies, as well. I did recently send a swapper a mascara from Wantable that was all dried up -- no way I could have known, since I never opened it! (And like @Ann I also feel it is my responsibility to replace the item.)
    I also have a hard time swapping for beauty products because when i first started i swapped for a Mally's black eyeliner which is my absolute favorite. It was delivered to me in a box, that look like it was still taped shut as if never opened so i left feedback, thanked the swapper and went about my day.. Few weeks later when i needed it i pulled it out of the box and it was OBVIOUSLY used.. smudged down, not broken, and not accidental... it was USED. i was so devastated. I messaged the person and they never responded. I wasn't rude or anything, but they never responded and i threw it away, and moved on. A few weeks later the same person requested a swap from me and i wrote to her and explained the eyeliner situation from the weeks before and they cancelled the swap on me and didn't say a word!!

haha i think about that often because everyone complains about black eyeliner, and i haven't really requested eyeliner since then. It's ok, i'll just pay for it. :P

@michellemcc the idea of a rancid lotion, or face cream scares me too much so i don't swap for those either. when i first joined the forum i read about people who received face creams that were obviously used and filled with a cheap product and that was enough to make me never want to swap for those items unless they come clearly sealed!
    Agreed with @boxjoy. I always appreciate the gesture of extras, and I would never throw out bottles/tubes/jars with seals, but after a few encounters of the moldy variety, I've stopped messing with the foils. :# (I should mention that whenever someone sends me candy, I eat it immediately and without question. In theory, I suppose it's also possible that candy might have been passed between several swappers before getting to me, but I love empty calories too much to concern myself with these things. :joy:)

If someone requests a bunch of makeup from me, I might throw in an extra deluxe sample lippie or something like that, but mostly I try to send stuff that I don't have to wonder about. 95% of the time I send one small non-perishable - stuff like page tabs, washi tape, cute paper clips, etc. that I figure can be easily gifted or passed on if the other swapper doesn't want them.

I also want to say that as much as I truly do appreciate extras, I certainly don't expect them or feel let down if there aren't any. Honestly, my favorite thing is just a quick note along with the items. It's funny, because that's not something I thought I would care about when I started swapping. It doesn't have to be a novel on fancy stationery or anything - just a quick "thanks for the swap!" on a post-it note is a nice personal touch that I appreciate more than I realized I would.
    @flingo i love when candy is involved as an extra! Yummy. I think @Nightshift one time included cookies in our swap?? I was so excited for those chips ahoy. haha If it wasn't you, i am sorry, don't know why i still have that memory, maybe because chips ahoy were involved and i ate them up before even checking the swap item i had requested. ;)
    lisatrato said:

@michellemcc the idea of a rancid lotion, or face cream scares me too much so i don't swap for those either. when i first joined the forum i read about people who received face creams that were obviously used and filled with a cheap product and that was enough to make me never want to swap for those items unless they come clearly sealed!

@flingo Okay then. I just gave out some really nice foils recently, but I guess I'll keep them for myself in the future! Shame. I thought I was being nice. I struggle with extras. I go through the followeds and try to come up with something, but I feel like I'm probably getting this wrong.

@lisatrato Whaaat?! I'm horrified.
  • NightshiftNightshift Posts: 2,168Member
    @lisatrato It was me! So glad you liked them! I buy single packs of cookies and and assorted candies to toss into swaps bc I feel like people like them much more than foil packs (I know I do!). I have a few trinkets and the like that I also add in or coupons from boxes. I will only occasionally toss in a foil pack if I just got it in a sub box or if I got it in a swap and it still looks good. I use up most of the extras people send bc I'm not terribly picky about what goes on my skin/hair. So far, I've never had a bad reaction :grimace:
  • Co123Co123 Posts: 629Member
    What about face masks? I just completed my first swap (woo) and put a patchology mask in there and a little beauty blender cleaner. I also have a bunch of toly moly ones I was going to set aside for extras. But now I'm thinking that makes sense that people don't know how old they are and might be wary to use, I'm the same way. I love @flingo idea of putting in cute paper clips,etc!! I got some adorable little cards and gift tags as extras in this swap. I think I'm going to go that route of the stationary/office cutesy stuff like washi tape etc - thanks for the idea!! :) oh and yes the candy and snacks idea is great too but I would probably just eat it all if I tried to set aside lol.
  • inf1niteinf1nite Posts: 49Member
    @Leah I would love that thread! Haha. I really struggle with the whole extras thing. Whenever I receive them, more often than not I put them directly into the next swap I'm sending out (but now with these foil pack horror stories I might start tossing them!!). After Halloween I was sending tons of leftover candy as extras, haha.

I always appreciate the thought when people send extras but I have seriously considered putting in my swap profile that I don't want extras...I haven't done it yet because I don't want to sound like a jerk, but more often than not it's makeup or skincare samples and I use very little makeup and am pretty particular about skincare. It's such a love/hate relationship! And I absolutely agree with @flingo about notes - even "Thanks!" scrawled on a post-it note is super appreciated.
    @inf1nite I like extras (especially when people send me stuff from my followeds....always have cheap things in your followeds!), but there are quite a few things I can't use. I need more room in my profile :)

But yeah, they're a struggle. Perhaps we should start a new thread :)
    @Co123 I LOVE getting face masks! I'm starting a new thread about this.
    (On second thought, it's 1:39 am. I'm not starting a new thread.)
  • inf1niteinf1nite Posts: 49Member
    @Leah I just burst out laughing and my dog thought I was going insane.

Honestly, I think a big part of my struggle is that I mainly just want to get rid of stuff. I've cut back on my boxes dramatically and am trying really hard to get rid of my stash. So every time I get an extra, I mostly see it as another thing I now have to unload. But, also, the deal-loving Asian part of me (i.e., 100%) is like "you can't give away something for nothing!" I've learned to be less of an RV-queen, but I struggle daily with being more honest with myself about what I will and won't use - extras and legit items alike.

Also, on the decluttering topic, sometimes other swappers are super suspicious of me when I suggest really lopsided swaps. I think they think I'm going to swaplift them or something but I just really have no use for any of the 27 mascaras they have listed and would love this thing that's been in my stash for 2 years to go to a good home.
    @inf1nite Oh my gosh, same! Are Jews and Asians similar? :) (I was told by an Italian manicurist once that Jews and Italians are similar in that we're into family and food. She also tried to set me up with her son. Cute lady. Anywayyyy....) I also have a very strong deal-loving side of me and a hard time giving things away. And I'm also trying to declutter, which is why I don't want to bring things into my house to save for extras, because in my brain, I'm going to be done with swapping soon because I'll be completely decluttered. Pray tell how will that work if I'm signed up for an annual of Oui Please?

It's 2:02 and I haven't started an "extras" thread and I haven't gone to sleep. It's happening now though. Someone else can start the discussion :) Do you like: 1. makeup 2. food 3. stationery items 4. nothing 5. do you toss them 6. do you treasure them 7. other. Okay, I've unloaded my brain, good night, folks!
  • sarasara Posts: 4,228Member
    On the subject of foil packs, I toss them all into my travel makeup bag. I have gone on too many trips where my teeny travel siZed (insert eye cream, face cream, sunblock) ) has turned out to be too tiny. I've got a big pack of foils, and I sort right through them and find the needed item. And when I go on a single night trip, I only take foil packs. So far, I've only discovered items I don't really like, there's never been anything I loved. But I've used them right up!
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
    @Nightshift YAY!! see, that gesture goes a long way because now i am waiting for our next swap because i know i'll get rewarded with goodies i want and a special sweet treat. I knew i wouldn't forget the woman who sent me cookies. ;)