Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This swap will be kept open...

missycat928missycat928 Posts: 1,166Member
... is the parent equivalent of "we'll see". It basically means that I hope you forget about whatever you are asking for, but I will say something to placate you for now.

Has ANYONE ever gone back to a swap that they kept open and accepted something? Everyone who does it to me just forgets about the swap indefinitely. I only say this because someone recently put a swap request as "keep open" and then a week later sent me a request for something else. Umm... hello? We have a swap waiting in the wings!

I hate the "keep open" option.

Comments

• AkeAke Posts: 160Member
    I have successfully completed swaps that I listed as "keep open." Like @JodiAnne, I'll do it if I like something they have, but not enough for a swap. Or if they've requesting something I really want to get rid of, but don't have anything I'll use. I try to leave a note, and I'll check back periodically to see if they have new things listed. Usually they cancel the swap before ours works out, but I have completed some!
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,924Member
    I've used it, but as you noted, I do tend to forget about it as it slips down my list of requests, so I no longer really use it as I'm clearly too forgetful for it to be a useful tool for me. I just hope people don't hesitate to request again when they have new items listed as I'm not rejecting a swapper when I decline, I just don't need what they have listed at the time.
  • RainRain Posts: 697Member
    The only time I've ever had kept open swaps go through is when we mutually agreed to swap for an item that hadn't come out yet. Every other one gets ignored until I finally cancel it.
  • CaseyDog44CaseyDog44 Posts: 899Member
    I've accidently hit that option more than once.
  • KKHKKH Posts: 505Member
    @missycat928 I hope that wasn't me who kept it open then sent another request! I could totally see myself doing that by accident. I have left swaps open before because I really want to make something happen but it isn't quite there, or I really like swapping with someone so I want to figure something out once I have other swaps go through (or not). But with the way the site is set up, there's no easy way to track the "left open" swaps. Nor comments from other possible swaps - you have to sift through pages of requests.
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,957Member
    I absolutely do go back & check in with those I've kept open.
  • missycat928missycat928 Posts: 1,166Member
    @KKH not at all. And I guess it is less the "forum" gals, too. Like at Christmas I sent a few requests for the PS cookie mix thinking it would be a cute thing to bring along with wine and stuff for hosts. I had like three of them go to "keep open". I get it, you're getting a bunch of requests and want to wade through but it just seemed like a weird thing to be holding open. There were tons listed and it was $7 (yes, heavy to ship, but still...). It wasn't like it was a throw.
  • SKDSKD Posts: 384Member
    I will always go back and look. I use it when I have an item that I get a lot of requests for. Only once did I use it to placate a swapper (before the ignore option) who repeatedly sent request after request and I indicated very nicely I didn't see anything on their list.
    edited December 2016
    If it is a single item that many people want, I get it. But then I just feel like jim Carey in dumb and dumber "so you're saying there's a chance..."

My post was more out of frustration of a swap that just went down (or didn't for that matter). Lol
  • mycatbuttersmycatbutters Posts: 863Member
    The only times they work out for me is if they tell me why they are keeping it open like they are about to go on vacation but see a trade they think will work.

• LeahLeah Posts: 4,364Member
    I use it and I keep going back and checking. Has it ever happened that I went back and checked and found something I wanted? Not really. Maybe once. But I keep it open because I'm desperate to get rid of that item and so if I get one request for it in the history of ever, I'm not letting it go so fast.
  • Jennifer3141Jennifer3141 Posts: 3,191Member
    I don't request a lot of swaps, so I'm usually pretty keen on getting whatever it was I asked for, but I will cancel if the other side comes back with the "keep open" thing. I just don't like the ambivalence- either swap with me or don't. If you don't see something you like, that's perfectly fine and we can part ways as friends. You're welcome to check my listings any time- you don't need an open swap request to do that.

The other thing about "keep open" is it puts me in an odd place. Am I now supposed to wait for the other side rather than pursue another swap? What if that person expressed interest in some of my items but wants to wait to see if I post more? Am I supposed to hold those items (because I'm the one who requested the swap in the first place)?

Nope, not a fan of that option at all.
  • Chris-n-SacChris-n-Sac Posts: 562Member
    Hmm. I use this one sometimes, usually with forum ladies or people I've swapped with before, when I'd love to swap them the item, but can't find anything on their lists right now. I always communicate my reasons though, so hopefully that's not causing any upset. I do try to check back every few days to see if they've added anything. I don't spend a ton of time on the swap site, so I'm reluctant to ask people to request again when they add something I'm following, or anything like that, since I'm not always up to date on followeds, and often find interesting things when going through others' lists.

Has it ever worked out? Yeah, a few times. Not always, of course.

You're welcome to check my listings any time- you don't need an open swap request to do that.

That requires me to remember whose listings I want to look at, and to find you. I don't know how to find specific swappers.
  • nelliebelle1197nelliebelle1197 Posts: 2,769Member
    I use it and it works. I kept one open with @ChereeK for example for maybe 3 weeks. I happened to check one day and she had just posted something I wanted. It works. It just depends on whether you want to swap that way.
  • nancytnancyt Posts: 947Member
    edited December 2016
    @missycat928 sorry but No I never do, but I am sure that I have requested swaps before more than once because I forget.
  • NatlovesmelodyNatlovesmelody Posts: 3,412Member
    I just started using this feature. I am swapping for items systematically and this feature helps me remember who I want to come back to for a future swap.
  • ChereeKChereeK Posts: 266Member
    At @nelliebelle1197
    And it was extremely pleasant to find out that she did!! I was so thankful!!
    Personally, I have been using this feature to wait and recheck the list. Love it!!
  • Tanya3Tanya3 Posts: 1,357Member
    Keeping swaps open is time management I don't have. I dont want to worry about what I have pending or open. I either want to swap with you or I don't .... And vice versa. I can tell more or less by your swapped list what boxes you sub to so I can get a sense of what boxes you list ... This is a general rule but still. Keeping a swap open without a note to my swap request is awkward ... Period. I think we come back to the age old "communication is key" convo... If a swap is kept open with a note, I'll likely be ok with it ... But no note? You get a cancel. And all open swaps I've had ... 95% of them I've found the exact item I requested elsewhere and no longer need the swap I originally requested. My two cents!!!
  • NightshiftNightshift Posts: 2,168Member
    I've kept swaps open a few times when a swapper told me they *really* wanted my item and there weren't many on the swap site and I really wanted to make a swap work. I was able to make something work with @wldflowur13 bc I kept her swap open. I'll drop a note in the comments letting them know that I'll do it and I'll check their listings every few days or so. I'll also send a comment every now and then to let them know that I haven't forgotten about them and that I'm still reviewing their request.
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,924Member
    @Nightshift @nelliebelle1197 You guys are much better at this than I am. I need an Outlook reminder or something. These things just fall off my radar otherwise.
    @Tanya3 That's so interesting. If I keep a swap open, I think I'm doing both of us a favor. I think I would be annoyed if I got an immediate cancel. When I get a notification that my swap request has been kept open, it gives me hope and I like that.

As far as leaving a note, if they didn't leave a note for me and I'm keeping it open just because I don't have time to deal with it then or I don't see anything right then, what should I be saying in the note? I'm not responding to anything!

(As an aside, I've noticed that I'm not getting any notes lately. At the beginning, I got quite a bit of "Hey, hope we can work out a swap, I have x from your followeds." I haven't gotten a note in weeks.)
  • NightshiftNightshift Posts: 2,168Member
    @Leah If they don't leave a note for me, I generally won't leave it open if I don't see something I like. If I don't have time just then, I'll say something like, "Hey, I saw your swap, but I'm super busy right now. I plan to get to it by X date."
    I agree so wholeheartedly with @Tanya3, but she knows that ;)
    And @Leah I'm never annoyed at an immediate cancel ... Swapping to me is what it is. I have some pretty awesome swap sisters on the forum who will work with me forever to make swaps work but on the open swap board it's nothing personal. Too much emotion is put into swapping sometimes ... I can't be the only one who thinks that ?!
    @Tanya3 I mean a cancel after leaving it open (as in, you send me a request, I say "keep it open", you cancel). Maybe not annoyed, but if you requested from me, I assume you want what I have, by leaving it open I'm giving you a chance, so why would you cancel? You're the expert I guess (I just checked; you're at 199! You need 200! What does the 200th positive commenter get?!) so it's interesting to hear how it's perceived.

Not all of us have awesome swap sisters, we need to survive in the open wild of the regular swap board ;)
    @Nightshift Maybe I'm just too desperate to swap certain things :)