Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do I do about a swap gone wrong?

janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 1,237Member
I've had a swap in progress since November 30th. I sent my stuff out December 1st but the person receiving the swap didn't get it til the 12th (my tracking even shows it in transit to them from the 1st up until it got to their local post office on the 3rd and then it took their local post office 9 more days to deliver WTH). They shipped their package after they received mine on the day of the 13th but even now the last update on tracking is that their local post office accepted it on the 13th and it hasn't moved. I've contacted the post office with their missing mail form but haven't heard back yet and the swapper isn't responding to my messages. Where do I go from here? I was freaking out when they didn't get their stuff after the normal 3 days but the swapper seems unconcerned with helping me get my package and I just don't get it because we already had one other swap that went just fine with good communication. I get that it's probably just stuck at the post office but I'm irked that the swapper won't even contact me to try to help even though it's been 2 weeks.

Comments

• Maureen_BMaureen_B Posts: 469Member
    That sucks, is she on vacation mode? You're right, there's probably nothing she can do, but a simple 'I'm sorry, let me know...' means so much!
  • janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 1,237Member
    No, not showing on vacation mode currently. I wouldn't be so upset if I hadn't swapped some of my most requested items for theirs so I just hope it's not lost somewhere.
  • sarasara Posts: 4,228Member
    edited December 2016
    @janemockingjay, the post office is swamped right now AND messages are often not coming through from MSA. I have had items sit at my pretty large PO for several days after I drop them off, or be routed through weird other locations before they take off. I would find your original swap email and actually try to reach the person through email- they could be not getting their notifications. They could also be on vacation or sick, or even just have tons of family in. I know how frustrating this is for you- it sounds like her PO is a nightmare. Don't want to sound unsympathetic- I'm just optimistic your box will get to you
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
  • finlidanfinlidan Posts: 1,875Member
    edited December 2016
    This is one of those cases where it is not the fault of the swapper but of the post office. When I've been shipping stuff the past few weeks it doesn't even show it's been accepted by the post office for several days, let alone start moving. I know not everyone agrees, but once a swap is dropped off at the post office it has been completed. There is very little your swapper can do about it at this point except file a missing mail report herself
  • Tanya3Tanya3 Posts: 1,357Member
    I swapped the red Brandon Blackwood cross body for the elusive hot pink halcyon days bangle. She got the purse just fine but the post office lost my precious bangle. I still left her positive feedback as it's really not her fault (it's not mine either but Alas in this case I swallowed the loss as it's just stuff in the end). She did what was required of her.... unfortunately it's one of those....
  • Cara0730Cara0730 Posts: 1,375Member
    @janemockingjay I have had this happen to me a few times. The package shows no movement at all except it being accepted at my local post office until it miraculously arrives at its destination. Thank goodness I have had very kind, understanding swappers. But, I kept checking with the post office and communicating with my swapper every single day. I think everyone would be understanding when it comes to postal issues, the problem here is that she is not communicating. Have you tried going in to your local post office with the tracking number? Or calling the post office that she mailed it from? I have gotten much more help and information from the post offices involved. They can usually look it up in their computer and give you a bit more information. I'm sorry this is happening to you and I hope it works out!
  • cleegiantscleegiants Posts: 1,937Member
    I had my target december beauty box show up this week after declaring it a loss. It had originally supposed to be delivered around December 9th - so i guess 3 weeks later is better than never. I'm guessing that it was a small enough box that the post office just got overwhelmed with all the other packages. It had been 'delivered to sorting station' or something like that when it stopped tracking.
  • DesBDesB Posts: 247Member
    There's a sorting hub in Wisconsin that's notorious for temporarily misplacing packages. At least I now know that everything shows up eventually and not to stress out about it too much. Even the tiny post office where I work is aware of the hub's reputation. I've had a few swaps delayed long enough that I was about to take action when they started moving again.
  • TracyCTracyC Posts: 239Member
    edited January 2017
    Post edited by TracyC on
  • lisadlisad Posts: 2,406Member
    @TracyC wow, 39.00 shipping charge? Did you overnight it? I hope your package arrives soon!
    @lisad no I did priority shipping but the box was so big and heavy.
  • lisadlisad Posts: 2,406Member
    @TracyC I hope you get your items soon and that swap was way in your favor then!
    edited January 2017
    Post edited by TracyC on
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I tried contacting the post office Thursday while I was off work but since they're so swamped the call hold time was 1 hour 15 minutes. Ain't nobody got time for that lol.

I sent a missing mail request through their email system a few days before that but I still haven't heard anything. I'll try calling them again Monday and hopefully get through.

@TracyC I'm sorry to hear that happened to you! For larger packages a lot of times flat rate is the way to go since you can stuff everything and the kitchen sink in there and only pay one rate. Up until about a month ago I thought flat rate was always the way to go (I'm still a bit of a newbie to swaps) and needless to say I racked up waaaayyyy more in shipping charges than I would've if I had been using paypal shipping the whole time. $2.60 vs $6.80 to send out the same stuff. I cringe when I think about how much money I wasted.
    @janemockingjay I know! I don't even want to know how much money I have spent on shipping with the over 500 swaps I have had. I would probably get sick if I knew. Lol
    @TracyC it really is an addiction! I find myself swapping just to swap again sometimes now. "Oh, you follow that Les Interchangeable bracelet? I'll swap some of my stuff for one of those and then I'll send a swap request to you for that shampoo I want that you have!" Yeah, it's that bad lol. I don't even try to keep up with my Paypal shipping receipts that are sent to my email anymore cuz there's just too many....
    There are also the flat rate regional boxes. They are WAYYYYY bigger and usually cost between $6-10, depending upon how far you ship. I've had one be $12, but it was a lot bigger than the medium flat rate box, at least. You have to order them from the usps and use the usps website. Get an inexpensive scale if you don't have one you use for food, and round up. It is totally worth it.
    By the way, I have a swap in progress right now, my lovely swapper said she was putting it in the mail on Thursday morning. It still just shows label created. So I looked at my swap, which I dropped in the mailbox on Wednesday. IT STILL JUST SHOWS LABEL CREATED AS WELL!

So, there's a major not scanning problem going on.

I had a package show up, it was priority. It took forever, and then seemed to just stall at a local post office. Lo and behold, it just showed up at my door, no further scans...
  • NatlovesmelodyNatlovesmelody Posts: 3,412Member
    @Tanya3 I thought of you last night as I was drifting off to sleep. When we do all things right and it ends up "wrong", it hurts. I am empathetic to your situation.

Once, I had a large swap and the package I sent went AWOL. There was no way to replace the main item. I have always felt that until my packages were delivered to the address given, it was still my responsibility to make things as good as possible. I contacted my swap partner and she was very gracious and as a solution, I offered to return her goods plus postage she had paid or pick new items from my list. She chose new items. We have continued to swap over the years.

Since then, I ALWAYS make sure I have the recipient's name and address inside the box. My hope is if there is a problem, it still has the necessary info for delivery. Unfortunately, my trying to claim the $50 was a frustrating experience which never did result in payment from post office.

I guess I just wanted to acknowledge you and your swap gone wrong and although it may not help, there are many who understand.

• Tanya3Tanya3 Posts: 1,357Member
    Thanks @Natlovesmelody I really do appreciate that :). It did hurt I won't lie and plus I've recently lost a high value swap to the frequently mentioned and likely swap lifter BUT... In 200 swaps I've met some pretty incredible ladies, made some freakin awesome swaps and had a total blast so I figure for the few wrongs there are so so many rights too :). I did contact the other swapper but she was a little dismissive so I figured "oh well"... Better for my own mental health to move forward from it lol. But I will still shake my fists to USPS!! Lololol :)
    @Tanya3 well, at a time when I did see a therapist, she would have said you definitely took a healthy self care approach:-)
    @Natlovesmelody I am going to steal a page from your book and start putting a slip in the box with my packages. That is a great idea in case the label happens to get torn off and it ends up in a random post office!
    @janemockingjay and I think a torn off address is what occurred!
    edited January 2017