Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about rent the runway or similar. PIC added

PamPam Posts: 2,270Member
edited March 2017 in All Other Boxes
My boyfriends son is getting married and I hate to pay for a dress I won't wear again (I rarely dress up). How much does it cost to rent a dress and is it worthwhile. Would you recommend it and what company?
Post edited by Pam on

Comments

• cleegiantscleegiants Posts: 2,005Member
    edited January 2017
    I rented a dress for my company holiday party from RTR and I LOVED it. Dresses can range anywhere from $30-$300. And if you let me refer you, you can probably save $25 off a $50 + rental so you really should be able to spend around $50 for a dress. There's about a $15 shipping fee. With a coupon, I wore a nearly $400 Trina Turk dress for $60. (plus the neclkace I borrowed from @cici) One of the most helpful things about RTR is reading the customer reviews and seeing it on real people. They let you sort by body type/size of the reviewers, so you can pretty easily see who's similar to you by height/body size. Because of the nature of the designer closing, it's "best" if you're under a size 12 or 14, but they've been adding some plus sizes recently.
    They do allow you rent a different size for free, so if you're unsure after reading the description, that's handy.

Just keep in mind the reviews are highly individual - just like here. Some people will always disagree with the general consensus. I personally was hesitant to rent a dress that was brand new because it didn't have any ratings and reviews, but if you're a 'normal' size, and think it'd be pretty clear, then you might be comfortable there. RTR tries to provide a lot of good fit information in the description - weather it's tight across the chest, if you can wear a normal bra, etc. Definitely use their tips. Also their models are always 5'10+ so the dresses are generally longer on most people. If you're tall and want a full length gown, there are some dresses that come in a tall length.

Another option, depending on what city you're in, is to go directly to the RTR stores. I know they have them in New York, Vegas, and here in DC. If you can get to one of those, you can try things on and be sure about fit!

Personally i thought that it was well worth it, but i know there are a lot of people that wouldn't do it. So entirely up to you, but I would recommend it. I have tons more i could add and love offering fashion advice, so feel free to ask more questions!
  • PamPam Posts: 2,270Member
    edited February 13
    @cleegiants that was a huge help. I'm short and size 14-16. So once you pick a dress online, are you committed to renting it or do you get choices to try on? What if the style doesn't work for you once you get it? ... If I wear something I have I'll probably be appropriate but too casual next to my boyfriend wearing a tux since it's his son, and I know a dress like that would cost well over $100 to only wear once so I like this idea
    Post edited by chris on
  • flingoflingo Posts: 1,003Member
    I signed up for Rent the Runway's unlimited service for the month of my brother's wedding since I needed a bunch of outfits for all the different events. With the unlimited service, I was able to try a couple different things and send them back to exchange for others. You can have 3 pieces out at a time, so I played around with things until I had 3 things I really loved....I really enjoyed the unlimited program.

Since it was a long weekend event, I also rented a 4th piece through their regular service to wear at the rehearsal dinner. Unfortunately I had an absolutely terrible experience with their customer service for this rental.

They forgot to send the return envelope for the regular rental - not the end of the world, so I contacted them and asked if I could just stick the extra dress in with my unlimited items (which came in their own pre-labeled return bag). They said no, I would have to print out a label and package the dress separately.

This wouldn't have been a huge deal except they are militant about their return dates and the return date was the day of the wedding. I told them that while I understood, it just was not feasible for me to leave the hotel, print a label, go to the store, purchase packing materials, go to the post office, and mail the item - all on the day of my little brother's wedding while wearing my floor-length bridesmaid dress.

I said I would be happy to package, print, and ship when I got home in a couple of days, but I wanted to be sure I wouldn't incur any late fees - the pre-paid return bag was supposed to be included, so the delay was really on them. They danced around the late fee issue, never answering it directly despite multiple emails from me attempting to clarify, but said they would send a label.

The link they sent to print the label didn't work, so I emailed again. That link didn't work, so I emailed again. That link didn't work, and so on and so forth for a full month. Their CS agents were always perfectly nice but completely unhelpful - dodging questions, resending broken links over and over, responding to parts of my emails and ignoring others, etc. Then they sent me an email saying that they had charged my card $1000 for late fees.

I went ballistic. I contested the charges with my credit card company, but it was honestly a pretty awful experience.

I genuinely don't think my experience was the norm - I know many people who absolutely adore RTR and up until this happened, I was one of them. I'm genuinely not the kind of person who typically posts her bad experiences with companies on public internet forums, but man....this one really stuck in my craw.
    @flingo wow that's horrible! Totally their fault! I'm glad you were able to dispute with your credit card company. I do have a baby shower a few weeks later at a country club. Maybe I could do all month if they have something for that
    edited January 2017
    I really did enjoy the RTR unlimited program - if you have multiple events to go to, I think it's a great option. Despite my particular troubles, renting a single dress is still a lot more pressure - when I go to the store, I never get it right on the very first try, haha.
    Post edited by flingo on
    edited February 13
    @flingo it looks like the dresses are too dressy for the baby shower. I do everything online though, I hate shopping. Might be worth $139 for a month just to be able to try as many as I want beforehand ...
    Post edited by chris on
    Ohhh, just had a thought! You should do Gwynnie Bee's 30-day trial for the baby shower - their stuff is a lot more casual. Their system can be a little frustrating because you can't pick your exact dresses - you have to add stuff you like to your "closet" and then they pick available items from there to send you. But if you timed your trial right, it would be a good (and free) way to try more stuff. :)

The worst thing about Gwynnie Bee is that you have to make a phone call to cancel at the end of your trial. Haha. I am a phone-o-phobe, but I gritted my teeth and got through it. ;)
    @flingo I tried gwynnie bee once and found it too frumpy. I'm sure I have something I could wear to the baby shower. I just feel old and fat next to the skinny 20 year olds so I want to feel good.
  • ShawnaShawna Posts: 1,024Member
    Just for posterity, my sister did RTR last year to go to the Grammys (yeah, I was jealous too) and they had a deal going where she could pick 3 dresses for the price of 2. This allowed her to pick 2 different dresses, and the one she was most interested in, in 2 different sizes. No problems all the way around and she looked fantastic. I like that you can see photos of other people wearing the dress to see how it fits different shapes/sizes/ages and get a better idea if the dress is for you. And people commenting on how it fit, etc is very helpful.

If I ever get to go to a fancypants awards show, I'll probably do RTR too...
    @Shawna that's cool! It sounds especially perfect for something fancy!
  • NODRAMaLLaMaNODRAMaLLaMa Posts: 1,987Member
    Lol so this company took over my old office. We shared a space for a small time and my bosses eyes popped out of her head when they painted their side of the space pepto bismol pink. Who would have known they would have grown so big so fast. It was started by a group of models that were renting freebies they got from work I believe. A girl at my office does the unlimited rental instead of buying clothes now. They have some pretty amazing coats!
  • diamondsonhertoesdiamondsonhertoes Posts: 1,051Member
    @Pam I hope you will share pictures of the dresses you pick with us!

I do think Gwynnie Bee is a tough one at your size. I tried it once when I was a 14 and there was very little in my size. The stuff I could get was not my style. I bought one top because everyone liked it but I think I've worn it once because it's a shapeless sack.

I don't have any advice for RTR though. I did glance around because I needed a dress for a wedding and trying to find a nice maternity dress in my town is impossible. I was too afraid to risk it though. They had a lot of nice things!
    @diamondsonhertoes I agree about Gwynnie Bee. I found some nice dresses on RTR so I think alittle less than a month before I will choose the monthly option so I can get 3 at a time and try them on and decide on the best.

I imagine it is hard to find nice maternity dresses. I don't usually order clothes by mail unless its a brand I'm familiar with but I had great luck with Stitch Fix when I needed professional dress and I just don't have the patience or time for malls anymore. Did you try Stitch Fix maternity?
  • diamondsonhertoesdiamondsonhertoes Posts: 1,051Member
    I didn't try Stitch Fix maternity. I thought about it but by the time I really started popping I was put on rest restrictions. No need to be fancy for my bed or recliner! Ordering the maternity dress was a process. I sent 6 back before I kept one out of desperation.

My issue is I have huge boobs and nothing else grew to catch up. Everything that fit the bump and body didn't fit the boobs. I finally found one that was ok and had to pin the top so it wasn't completely risqué.

I spent 90% of the time in long sleeve tee shirts from Old Navy and yoga or pj pants. I have maternity jeans and leggings for my doctors appointments and other small errands. I'm looking forward to regular clothing again in the future :)
    @diamondsonhertoes I'd just wear stretchy comfy clothes too if I were you. For that matter, I have to wear a work tshirt and jeans so on my days off I keep pjs on all day for the most part! I do miss my nicer clothes so I understand.
    @cleegiants I am having so much fun with RTR. I fell in love with one dress from the start and haven't been able to get it. Finally got it last week in a size smaller just to get an idea of it would look good and it did. I emailed them and they are making an exception and reserving it for me in the right size for the wedding March 3. I am so impressed with their customer service. Its really fun trying on all the expensive dresses. I have two more weeks to see if I can find something for the rehearsal dinner too. I promise I'll post pics!
    Okay so I definitely need to lose weight but my rent the runway experience was amazing! Got so many compliments and customer service was great! I rented a purse too!
  • cmiller512cmiller512 Posts: 1,564Member
    @cmiller512 thank you! It was really fun wearing an $800 dress and a $500 purse
  • SaraSara Posts: 4,592Member
    You look gorgeous! Great choice!
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
  • DarCoDarCo Posts: 687Member
    Looking awesome, love the dress
    http://swap.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/user/25130/profile I'm Darlene in the real world
    Be curious about the world around you, and never stop learning
  • allisenallisen Posts: 180Member
    You look great! Glad it worked out.

I love RTR. I keep a simple, little black dress in my closet as my backup. Then I can rent without fear. If my rental doesn't look great or neither size fits, I send it back within 24 hours (for a full credit) and wear my stand-by LBD. If the rental fits, all is golden.
  • maggieannmaggieann Posts: 18Member
    I have a difficult body type so I have never rented a dress, but I rent jewelry from RTR all the time and it has always been a wonderful and easy experience. can't recommend it enough!!
  • ZuZusPetalsZuZusPetals Posts: 848Member
    @Pam You looked beautiful! The dress suited your skin tone so well. Hope you had lots of fun feeling *fancy* for the day!
  • cellinenickycellinenicky Posts: 1Member

@Pam I hope you will share pictures of the dresses you pick with us!

I do think Gwynnie Bee is a tough one at your size. I tried it once when I was a 14 and there was very little in my size. The stuff I could get was not my style. I bought one top because everyone liked it but I think I've worn it once because it's a shapeless sack.

I don't have any advice for RTR though. I did glance around because I needed a dress for a wedding and trying to find a nice maternity dress in my town is impossible. I was too afraid to risk it though. They had a lot of nice things!

Maybe you can try buying online if you are in hurry but no perfect choices. For wedding I guess the types for party will be suitable. You can take a note of the this maternity dress collection below in the part of party. Like the picture shows.

www.cfone.net/what-are-the-best-maternity-dresses-for-mummy.html