Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DISGUSTED!!!!!

sabrinafertesabrinaferte Posts: 24Member
I have been subscribing for about a year now to various "beauty boxes". I LOVE Boxycharm, and Beauty Fix (even though some months I cannot use all of the products - I save them for presents). I started with Ipsy - for $10 per month a GREAT deal!! Then Glossy - happy until about October; their quality/quantity went down for the price. I still like Allure - good value for the price. I will not name the others; Target and Walmart are good for over-all toiletries. If you cook, RawSpiceBar is EXCELLENT!!!

OK, on to my gripe. After such hype - a waiting list, even, I am so disgusted with Play by Sephora that I am immediately cancelling. I think their ridiculously small samples are a joke, as is the "bag". I design and sew my own and vintage designs. Who would use a drawstring, faux-satin bad for anything - other than storing a piece of jewelry?!

I hope they answer my request to be IMMEDIATELY removed from their list and that U never see their crapola again!!!

Sincerely,

Sabrina Ferte

Comments

• kathykathy Posts: 51Member
    Birchbox is a "discovery" box too.Yet everyone is attacking them for not being a value.I have yet to use most of my Sephora things.Swaps seem to like it well enough.But I don't buy boxes to swap.So I have to say I don't see the value in it.Everyone is different that is true.I have found many products that I continue to purchase,from Birchbox. Not so much from Sephora(not at all).I too have been getting boxes for a long time,Truthfully the things I buy came from Birchbox and Beauty fix.Yes, I got a real nice balm from Sephora,But I'm not going to shell out sixty dollars for the full size.(Its not that great)
  • allisenallisen Posts: 162Member
    I also prefer the sample size boxes better than full size. I love trying new things, but I don't want to feel guilty if I learn after 1 or 2 uses that it's not for me. Small samples don't bother me at all - particularly if they're reputable brands.
  • mycatbuttersmycatbutters Posts: 863Member
    I understand how you feel. I don't know if it was a quality control issues with some of the samples but some of the tubes seem to have less than a foil packet would have.
  • SaizaSaiza Posts: 1,934Member
    Beauty fix used to be Blush Mystery beauty box and it came in a drawstring bag every month, and I agree after a few months of them, how many drawstring bags can you use? But I love the ones in Sephora, I like how they change them every month. I loved the blush satin one this month, no it wasn't my favorite month of product, but in no way was I disgusted with it. I use the cute little bags to hold makeup, nail polishes, hair products, send in swaps, etc. Even Ipsy has a waiting list most of the time too. I agree with the others, it's a sample box, getting introduced to new products. So far I've liked the different brands that I never got in Ipsy, Birchbox or any other beauty box.

Birchbox used to be awesome way back when they regularly sent 6 or 7 products in a box, the samples were bigger sizes and they frequently sent lifestyle items. Plus the points!! My last two years with birchbox were super disappointing with the tiny sample sizes, but also lack of new products or new brands. It was just the same samples all the time.
  • inimitableinimitable Posts: 373Member
    Eh, I wasn't super impressed with it either, so I cancelled after a few months. I would have stayed if I received items I would use, but I rarely got anything I was particularly interested in trying. I cancelled Birchbox for the same reason - when we were able to get $5 back in points for reviews, it was kind of worth it. Since that's changed, Birchbox is even worse than Sephora since the brands are usually less popular.
  • elizabethjelizabethj Posts: 599Member
    I think the biggest differences between Sephora and Birchbox are:

1. Types of samples - Birchbox is almost entirely skincare and haircare with an occasional makeup item, and Sephora is a well balanced mix of categories.
    2. Brand awareness and variety - Birchbox has many fewer brands than Sephora does, and the brands Sephora carries are more well known than the brands Birchbox does.
    3. The boxes vs bags - I probably prefer the boxes to the bags, but I do like both.

Side note - the box Sephora ships in is my favorite box to use for swaps. Its a great size and very sturdy.
  • flirtmdflirtmd Posts: 651Member
    I dropped Sephora a month ago and don't miss it at all. I got the most perfect Ipsy bag this month and am very happy.

Just remember… "Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes."
  • NyxNyx Posts: 1,590Member
    I dropped Ipsy and Birchbox a long time ago as I found I just wasn't using any of the samples, it often just didn't fit me at all even though BB was originally a great box. Sephora.. still a bit of a conundrum for me. I find that I usually only like one item in it but I *really* like that one item and appreciate that I can find the full size so easily. So it's worth ten bucks to discover something pretty great every month. The bad side is that I often feel wasteful about the other products so, after trying to sell or swap or gift them, I'm at the point where the extras are all going to charities.
  • Maureen_BMaureen_B Posts: 469Member
    I think the reason complain about Birchbox and not Sephora is because BB started out with large, deluxe or even full sized samples - those got smaller, then they did away with their phenomenal points program. Where Sephora from the beginning was up front about being small samples, but you get some rad in store benefits.
  • EddyEddy Posts: 251Member
    edited February 2017
    I've been trying to drop this sub for months but every single month I discover a new product to love. I will say that seeing the Play! box in my mail does not spark joy or even enthusiasm, but once I actually start to use the products, it is a whole different story. But I do understand where you are coming from. Getting full-size items in other beauty boxes does spoil you a little. This is probably the only sub box where more often than not, I use everything.
  • SaizaSaiza Posts: 1,934Member
    @jeein I duno about disgusted, but I was horrified once to receive a knockoff version of a super cheap makeup palette. It was Luna for You, they've since got out of business, but I received a knockoff of a NYX glitter palette, the tip off was they misspelled pallet instead of palette. Then I googled the NYX glitter palette and it wasn't like the one that I was sent at all.
  • strmama2strmama2 Posts: 679Member
    I've subscribed to pretty much every beauty sub at some point, some longer than others.. Out of all of them, Sephora is the only one I still have. I love being able to get these samples every month instead of using my Sephora points (I can save those up for the bigger stuff!) Plus, I am usually anxious to try just about everything they send, which was never the case with any other beauty sub. I used to love Birchbox, but mostly because of their "points" system. When they did away with that it wasn't worth it to me anymore because I usually only used half of what they sent each month. The drawstring bags don't bother me at all.. I subscribe for the samples, not the bag. I use the bags for swaps. I actually hated getting a bag in Ipsy every month bc I thought it was a waste!
  • gillepgillep Posts: 445Member
    I have subscribed to Ipsy on and off for a few years now, and it's ok, but I was looking for another beauty sub to try so I came to MSA. After reading a ton of reviews, I decided on PLAY and I am very happy with it, the samples are small, but good quality, and a good mix of types. I actually prefer the PLAY bags to the IPSY bags because it is easier for me to see the contents inside. I would never be happy with Birchbox, as I prefer more makeup samples, but that's the beauty of having so many options and all of the great MSA reviews to help make the decision.
  • kylajaclynkylajaclyn Posts: 3,229Member
    Birchbox: Cancelled because they never listened to my profile and kept sending the same stuff.

Ipsy: Resubbed and love it... the first bag wasn't great but this months was, especially now that they take your review into consideration along with your profile and won't send you stuff you don't like! Their bag designs are often awesome and I think very reusable which would make them eco conscious to me.

I'm currently getting Allure Beauty Box for $10 because of Black Friday, and I like it for that price. Will probably cancel once time is up.

I've never tried Sephora. But I might be the only one who DOESNT want samples in order to buy the full price item. I rarely buy a product in full size from a box. It has to be spectacular! So I also dislike really small samples that do nothing for me.
  • raindropraindrop Posts: 356Member
    I've been loving my Sephora play. Yes, the samples are small, but they are always pricey items, so the value is often better than Birchbox or Ipsy.

With a box like Sephora Play, I will try and approach it with an open mind and try everything, even if it seems like I may not like it. It makes it more fun for me, plus, trying to swap small samples is getting harder and less worth the effort. Might as well try the products. I've been surprised at how long they've lasted and I've found a few things I really like.
  • ShawnaShawna Posts: 998Member
    Forgot to mention -- I also like the Play! bags -- the first two I got I used to hold small makeup items I could take to set and not get lost at the bottom of my ginormous bag. Lifesavers!