Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subbox Gifting

SMZSMZ Posts: 1,432Member
Anyone have any great / funny / embarrassing sub box gifting stories?

Being realitivity new to the sub box world, I started gifting whole subscriptions. I have found they make wonderful and exciting gifts. Lately, I have been accumulating items for friends and family that I know they would love for future gifts. I always wonder about the awkward situation if someone asks me where I purchased it because they want more or even a receipt to return an item (gasp) :o I know that I can give much better gifts this way, but In another way, it feels like regifting items I didn't want! What are everyone's thoughts?

Comments

• SMZSMZ Posts: 1,432Member
    Also, I've seen people in swaps putting together teacher gift baskets, girls weekend grab bags and bridesmaid gifts. What are some examples of gifts you've given from sub box items?
  • lalalalalala Posts: 1,533Member
    I don't put together my own boxes, but I use things from subs for gifts.
    I gifted that terrible tassel necklace last year from PSMH to my child's Kinder teacher. I didn't like the woman (and I'm a teacher, so she had to screw up plenty). I hated that necklace, but I want my child to take her teacher a necklace or other usable gift every year for teacher appreciation.

I love the Snowfall Necklace from December's PSMH box and have swapped for multiples. My sister has one, my daughter's 1st grade teacher got one this year, and I still have one left. I can't decide if I'll give it to my BFF from HS or my kiddo...

I have given full boxes as gifts before, but people get confused by a sub box if they've never had one. My BFF from above got the October 2015 box and it was odd, but well-received. My FIL received a Gentlemen's Box last August from us. It was a previous box that we could see exactly what was in it and we knew it was "for" him. He loved it.

If people were to ask me about the products, I would say something like "it's out of a sub box and it's limited" if it gets awkward. :) And I could care less if people want a receipt. I only include those with childrens gifts because they have so many toys!!!
    @lalala Thats hilarious and ingenious to gift the "unswappable " items to people you do not like, but must buy a gift for!
    I actually gave a swan to my SIL as part of a beach cottage themed bday gift basket. It added a little whimsy fun and she really seemed to like it.
  • DianeERDianeER Posts: 1,227Member
    Please see this thread for evidence that a bunch of us love our swans. :smile:
    http://forum.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/discussion/5404/others-may-say-theyre-unswappable
    edited June 19
    @DianeER I would love the swan too IF I had a pool!

I can only float them in in my bathtub! And since I had 3, there would be no room left for me.
    Post edited by SMZ on
    I would love a swan, also, but we do not and will not ever have a pool. Instead we go to the neighborhood pool and they'd never allow the swan there. Swim team happens there daily during the week.
    For Christmas we gifted my Grandfather 4 months of surprise deliveries. This included sub boxes such as Degustabox, Door to Door Organics, Homechef and Love With Food. Now...my Grandfather is not a very adventurous eater and was quite put off by the strange "healthy food", seaweed chips and pork rinds that showed up in those boxes. I think he also broke a tooth on some of the almonds. However, I still think it was exciting for him to get deliveries every week and try new things.
  • jamzillijamzilli Posts: 615Member
    This is something I think about a lot -- I'm actually big on gift receipts, so I feel odd giving something from a sub box, BUT I still do it because it allows me to give nicer gifts or give gifts for occasions I wouldn't normally be able to budget for.

I just put a little extra thought into it -- really make sure I think the person will love it, and not just get rid of the leftover crap I bought for myself and don't want anymore...that's what my sister does! :o
  • NightshiftNightshift Posts: 2,128Member
    @jewlz @whitpick and I were talking about sub box gifting the other day. It does step up our gift giving game bc now we have so many nice things to give, but we all worried that people think we're trying to show them up :grimace: I know that I lose track of how much things cost which always makes me worry what people think when I give gifts. Like the leather wine set from the May Robb Vices: it's gorgeous, well made, and would make a perfect gift for someone who enjoys displaying and drinking wine, but the set has an RV of about $100, so I'm worried people will think it's a little ostentatious to give as a hostess gift for a dinner party or something. From my end, it's part of an $85 box, so I actually paid whatever the box split on that would be so it doesn't feel like an expensive gift. I could bring a nice bottle of wine, or the set, bc in then, I will have paid about the same for both. But then as @lalala said, you end up having to get into the "it's from a sub box discussion" which can get awkward.
  • LisaMarieLisaMarie Posts: 744Member
    Yesterday I gave my FIL a barbeque set mostly from stuff I got from sub boxes Beekman Sauces, Grill Light and grilling pads from daily monthly mystery deal, apron and carry all from Bespoke, wine stuff from Robb Vices. It was the hit of the gifts he received and many people asked me where I got all the great stuff. I just said online because it would have been too prolonged of a convo explaining sub boxes and the different ones that were merged into one gift.
  • whitpickwhitpick Posts: 1,200Member
    As @Nightshift saud, I love giving sub box items! I put together gift baskets for a bridal party recently which included the Kate Spade photo albums & the Odeme tray and dish set. I love nicely packaged hand creams as little thank you gifts. For work colleagues I'm currently accumulating the Christian Lacroix post-it's and the Orrefors cube set (though the latter I'm having a hard time getting). I gave one of the Orrefors as a last minute present for my BIL's birthday.

I've never had anyone ask for a gift receipt and I agree with @LisaMarie I just say I found it online!
  • jewlzjewlz Posts: 1,304Member
    I've never had anyone ask for a gift receipt. I have had people google the item and comment on the price. I always wonder if that is because they are curious about it, actually looking to see how much it cost, like it enough to want another, or are looking to see where to return it lolol.

The best thing I've found is for wedding gifts. You can actually put together a pricey gorgeous gift basket with items usually only a bride would be looking for or themes so easy swaps and wedding gifts are meant to be expensive so it is one of the best uses for sub box/swap items. Now I just don't know enough ppl getting married lol. But @nightshift was saying, I worry someone who doesn't know me well enough to know my sub box obsession will be slightly surprised by $100-$150 value gifts when a $30 gift would be appropriate because $30 is all I paid.
  • ankareedaankareeda Posts: 518Member
    I have struggled with this dilemma. I have gifted items from sub boxes to a lot of friends. I have learned to say I got it online, which us the easiest answer, but now I have a Kendra Scott conundrum. I wore my bracelet to a wedding and one of our good friend's wife complimented it extensively. I have an extra one and would love to send it to her, but I don't want to explain the sub box thing and I don't really have a reason to send her a gift. Her husband is one of our closest friends, but he met her after we moved out of state, so I don't know her all that well and I think a random $50 piece of jewelry would seem crazy.
    @Nightshift @jewlz Great points about the price points too! I hadn't thought of that.

I was putting together a house warming gift with a Popsugar mug and that delicious peppermint tea with a candle. I could see my friend asking where I bought the tea when she wants more! I suppose the "online" answer works. After all, you could purchase the product online if you wanted to.
  • jewlzjewlz Posts: 1,304Member
    @smz if its the dean and deluca one that's easy. dean and deluca stores are here in nyc (not sure where else) but can also be bought online
    Another point though about subbox RV- After collecting 4 of those Henri Bendel Umbrellas, I went into the store and was curious if they sold it there and if I could return it for store credit. I was actually told it was a free gift with purchase and had no value. That would have been embarrassing if someone had gifted that, and the gift receiver went into the store and found that information out!
    @jewlz I just went to a wedding and need to give a gift! What would you put in a wedding basket? I've been trying to think of what I can give or swap for. Would love some input from an expert :)
    @whitpick Those bridal baskets sound nice. I have 5 sets of those Odeme trays and need to think what to do with them all. I was an unsuspecting victim of those darn mystery boxes of repeats!
    @SMZ we're used to them, but everyone I've given the Odeme tray and dish to has loved it!
    @DLR now I need to swap for a wire bowl... lol! thank you for the idea, I was thinking I needed to get a basket, silly, silly me!
  • Tequila_DebTequila_Deb Posts: 916Member
    New baby gift: Pehr bin, Turkish towel, Odeme tray and dish, Stuffed animal made of organic stuff, baby stuff to put in tray like lotion, powder etc. q-tips to go with dish.
    any other baby items and add a special item for the mom, like the compass necklace, or Love necklace.
  • Tequila_DebTequila_Deb Posts: 916Member
    @whitpick theres plenty of those wire bowls out there too! LOL
    @whitpick We gave my husband's cousin and new wife the Nima Oberoi Lunares Orb Candlestick Holders only because @Annem was kind enough to swap them to me in my desperation when everyone else ignored me, including eBay sellers! (she also sent me the wine cork by Nima Oberoi) I bought some candles and put a few with them, and then said they were my favorite things - I personally use all of that.

If they were to look up Nima Oberoi, her styles of things change constantly, and they're very expensive. So it looks like a very nice gift that I didn't pay full price for. It's just hard to swap for all of that! ;)
    @ankareeda That's super sweet of you. When I was younger, I used to waitress and had complimented a random customers watch. She actually took it off and left it with someone to give to me! I will always remember that, as it was so beyond nice.
  • 2crazyspaniels2crazyspaniels Posts: 194Member
    I've gifted random sub box stuff all the time. I gave a selection of Pop Sugar and misc. items to my mentor when I graduated law school as a "treat yo-self" package (bubble bath, candle, OwlCrate book, those stemless wine glasses, candies I think), and she LOVED it.

I've given individual items like coffee mugs -- stuff we get and think "OMG do I really need another one of these?" to friends as "just because" gifts, or to coworkers when they help me out in a pinch.

I keep all the makeup samples, lotions, and largely unswappable skin care stuff that I won't use and give them to my cleaning lady when I have a box full. She loves it. She used to get a lot more then I stopped getting Birchbox. At one point, I realized she was getting at least 70% of my monthly boxes.

In the past 3+ years, no one has ever asked for a gift receipt. If anyone hints that something isn't their cup of tea, I tell them to pass it on to someone that will like it.
  • megganinwonderlandmegganinwonderland Posts: 352Member
    I gift one of my good friends a Popsugar box for her birthday and Christmas present every year and she LOVES it. Though this year I bought her one of the Popsugar mystery boxes, which was of course so poorly packaged and she was confused by it - she was like, Shouldn't there be a booklet with it? Haha. I tried to explain what it was but it was too confusing I think.

And yes, the online answer is a good one. I have tried to explain both sub boxes and the swap site to other people and they just stare at me for a bit. Hard to explain if you aren't in that world! But I think gifting sub box items is a great idea - we might feel over-saturated with the brands or the item types, but for people who don't swap, it is usually high quality items that are new to them.

When I get a box I actually think okay who can I gift these items to first, and then if I don't have an immediate answer I list them for swap.
  • ZuZusPetalsZuZusPetals Posts: 842Member
    @whitpick Your grandfather sounds like quite a guy! Love it. :+1: :+1: