Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For MSA Forum Folk Who Want to . . . Cut Down or Stop

AnnAnn Posts: 2,004Member
I have noticed a trend recently on the forum. A number of people have expressed that they want to cut down their subscriptions or reduce to zero . . . but they are having trouble.

I have six subs and get an occasional LE. I realize that doesn't sound like much to some people . . . but I would like to reduce even more.

I thought we could support one another. Who wants to cut down?! Your achievements will be celebrated here.

Comments

• MelissaBMelissaB Posts: 1,764Member
    edited June 29
    I don't want to stop, but I have recently cut back a little. I quit PSMH in February, FabFitFun this season (although I may sign up again if they have something I actually want), and Olfactif as of this month as well. Color Me Monthly went out of business this month, so really I am 3 subs lighter as of June. I also have a couple subs that offer skip options, and I have been skipping them for several months.

oh darn! I just remembered I re-signed up for Glossybox, but I am only planning to stay with them for 3 months and then cancel (I got a deal).
    http://swap.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/user/8125/profile

You could send some people a box of roses, and they'd complain about the thorns, or the smell, or the color.
  • SarahFrancesSarahFrances Posts: 628Member
    I have drastically cut back. I cancelled all of my beauty subs, and I no longer have any boxes that I get every month. I am still subscribed to a handful of monthly boxes, but they are all skippable, and I make heavy use of that skip feature. I have a couple that I get every 4-6 months, and I just started one that I'll probably skip every other month. I've been taking a FCS of the Month every 2 or 3 months, but I think I'm going to cancel it because I've decided their fragrances are a little too artificial (and fruity and sweet) for me. And every now and then I like to try out a completely random sub just for fun.

I'd like to keep it to one box a month, but it's difficult. I'm kind of over all of the "stuff" that subbing brings into my house, but I really really like getting treats in the mail, and I think the thing I enjoy most is the anticipation of knowing that something is coming. I miss that quite a bit.
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,758Member
    I plan to cut out FFF & Beautycon when my year-long subs expire.

I've already canceled various LootCrate subs, & Book of the Month, but I had 3-month subs to them, so I'm still receiving stuff from them somehow.

I'm also considering cutting out Graze, which I thought I'd never do, but I'm transferring job locations, so I'm not sure it will fit my needs any more. I'll be skipping the next couple months for sure.

This will leave me with Ipsy (month to month), Julep (3-month), & Love with Food (6-month, which I may or may not renew dependent on whether they have an awesome deal in December again). I'm trying to do better with not purchasing mystery boxes/limited editions. I've also purchased the last 3 months of Nerd Block based on the fandom spoilers, and that's been hit and miss, so hopefully I will stop doing that, lol.
  • NightshiftNightshift Posts: 2,114Member
    edited June 29
    I'm not planning on renewing my OP annual when it's up. The things are nice, but I need to remind myself that, for an expensive and aggravating sub, it's nothing that I can't live without. I'm also going to cancel Neko box when my new 3 month prepay runs out. They're really nice and I'm loving getting them, but I only need so many tchotchkes. That, and they just sent out an email saying they've "listened to feedback" and are going to restructure how they're doing the box. With so many boxes abruptly closing and running off with our money, this email freaks me waaaayyyyy out. I have 2 boxes left and then I'm done. I'll be down to 2 monthlies (PS and RV) and 2 quarterlies (FFF and Yuzen, unless Happy Rebel hooks me in). I think my next goal is to convince myself to cancel Yuzen, but I don't think I'm strong enough yet :grimace:
  • SaizaSaiza Posts: 1,900Member
    I need to cut down for financial reasons but I'm down to 5 pre-paid and missing getting boxes lol. But I think when they run out I'll only renew one or two.
  • oniontearsoniontears Posts: 321Member
    I love the idea of this thread! I've cancelled a few boxes so far this year (GlobeIn Club, Fabletics, and LeTote). I also switched from Bomibox to Bomibag, because I love Bomibox but getting 5-8 full size products each month was leading to a massive stockpile. Unless the upcoming summer box is awesome, I'll probably cancel Pusheen too, since the products are super cute but I almost never use anything from those boxes.

That will leave me with Bomibag, Butcher box, FFF, and PS (I think...).

I like the idea of cancelling most of my subs and only buying the limited edition or one-off boxes when I really like the spoilers. I signed up for OP (monthly) when they released the spoiler, but the horror stories about their cs scare me so I think I'll cancel once I get my box. I'm trying to convince myself to cancel PS (they have horrible cs and trying to get a replacement terrarium from them was such a hassle) but I love several items from them each month so it's been hard to do.
  • magoosmommagoosmom Posts: 256Member
    I've already started. Dropped the Wizarding World crate. When Sephora wouldn't recognize that I updated my cc #, I took that as a sign. No more Beauteque masks. So now I'm down to my Walmart boxes, FFF, Sugarbash and Degustabox and other than Walmart I *really* don't want to get rid of any of them. However, my budget is going to change in another month or so and I may have to reevaluate. I seriously want to not only keep FFF, but keep the annual. I've enjoyed those three boxes so much, but I'm just going to have to wait and see how it all shakes out (pay raise will kick in but so will student loans and I don't think the raise is gonna win LOL)
  • rockin_on05rockin_on05 Posts: 437Member
    I feel you. I have only one regular monthly box currently which is bulubox. I do get some off boxes and limited edition and start up some for only a few months or lurk for some discounted boxes like the popsugar ones and ones on Groupon/living social etc. I've been using up items and limiting myself to so many extras. Getting less boxes means I might end up keeping more than I want to swap. I've not posted new items for months on the swap site and I'm rusty on my swaps and interaction on there as well. It's harder to swap for newer items too when I'm not replenishing some of swap items. Gifting lots for almost any occasion. Been saving up extra money and trying to get boxes where there are more gift giving items etc. I too have been in an emotional and physical health related whir lately. I'm hoping to pick back up and add a few more boxes and maybe get some I've been eyeing for time to time etc. For some boxes I could do without a month to month box. I'm sure I'll pick back up on some pet boxes in the future but as you all know my dog has abruptly passed.
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,689Member
    I have 3 pre-paid subs left:

9 Robb Vices boxes (plus bonus box)
    3 Oui Please boxes
    2 Popsugar boxes

I pick up occasional one-off boxes like Bespoke Post and the Rituals box and have split a few RZ and Popsugar LEs but I am getting much fewer boxes these days and am fine with it.
  • SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 996Member
    edited June 29
    I luckily never got too over the top, but I think I overdid the beauty subs for a while. I only had two beauty subs left and recently canceled them, and before that, I purchased 3-6 month prepaid subs, which I canceled immediately after the term. I also bought one season of BOS, but canceled shortly after receiving it. I just subbed to BREO for the summer box only, and I plan to cancel that once I get it.

For nearly a year, I did freelance work to make extra money beyond my full-time job so that I could pay off my debts and save more aggressively (and buy subs, lol). After paying off my credit card debt in full for the first time in 11+ years, I realized that I feel a heavy weight when I'm carrying a balance. Now, I only spend on my credit card each month what I know I can pay off each month. I also refinanced my student loans to lower my APR and I make slightly higher payments than necessary, because those are a burden too, but at least I don't feel as overwhelmed with them like I did when my interest rate was high. After buying a few things recently, I also listed some stuff for sale on eBay in hopes to balance some of it out! I made a lot of bad financial decisions when I was younger, but I think I've done a pretty good job teaching myself financial responsibility in recent years. Stay strong, everyone, cause debt sucks! :#

ALSO, if you have good credit and make payments on time but have a high APR, consider calling your credit card company and ask them to lower the APR. I once called mine and got it lowered twice in one call (with a customer service representative and their supervisor, and I asked nicely). My APR went down from 19.99% to 14.99%. I later did a balance transfer to get a 0% introductory rate so I could off the debt faster, and now it's around 11-12%.
  • Rain08Rain08 Posts: 236Member
    After my 6 month deal ended with PSMH, I cancelled them, and I've cancelled FFF, Ipsy, and BB. I'd skipped Adidas Avenue A over the summer, and am not sure about the fall. I will have Play by Sephora again this month, RV, and there are enough Bespoke Post boxes that I'm after that I may or may not skip boxes. So, it looks like I'm down to 2-3 for now. But since I went nuts last Christmas on LE boxes, I just don't know... lol.
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,758Member
    @magoosmom haha, I had a similar "welp" moment when my Ricky's Cult Crushes sent me a notice that my credit card didn't go through for June for some reason. And after I saw an unboxing of the June package, I was relieved. :lol: I'm still gonna keep an eye on that box, though, since it's so cheap & so under the radar that you can still get a box after seeing the contents via YouTube/blog unboxings.
  • AnnAnn Posts: 2,004Member
    edited June 29
    My six sub boxes include:
    Luxor
    Rachel Zoe UPDATE: Canceled!
    Nina Garcia UPDATE: Canceled!
    Mostess
    Norsebox
    Wonderful Objects

I want to cut down. This is hard because I truly am very happy with these boxes. I am going to let one go TODAY and let them know I am not going to renew.

Does anyone else want to join me and let one of their sub boxes know they will not be renewing?

(Also . . . as a reminder, this thread is a support thread for Forum Members who are looking to cut down or stop altogether)
    Post edited by Ann on
  • magoosmommagoosmom Posts: 256Member
    @entwashian Yeah I even emailed their customer service about it and they were like "Well, we need you to call..." and I went "Nope, I'm out." LOL I was on the fence before that.

If I have to cut any of the other three, it's going to be super hard though.
  • SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 996Member
    @chris I noticed a typo in my post and fixed it, but then it disappeared and said it will appear once it's approved. All I did was add the word "have" where it was missing, so I don't know why it went to moderation.
  • CMBCMB Posts: 311Member
    I guess I'm not quite in the same boat as everyone, since I already cut out my regularly-occurring subs (ipsy, glossybox, Sephora, birchbox, RZBOS, Pusheen, FFF). However, I still get a fairly steady flow of boxes as one-offs (tempted by spoilers, reveals, or "deals") and I'd like to stop doing that.... Does that count??

Spring and summer haven't been too bad, since I am generally not a fan of those themes (esp. compared to Fall/Winter where i definitely need help), but I still managed to get Spring BOS, Summer limited PSMH deal, and am toying with the Summer Causebox since I can't swap for the tumbler to save my life. I also will grab the occasional target box and PSMH mystery box, so there's really not a month that goes by where I'm not getting a box in the mail. I will keep checking back here for motivation!
    @CMB

Oh the "extras" absolutely count. I know for some people it is the sense that they are getting a huge bargain that reels them in. The add-ons the LE boxes that cost a lot but you get so much in RV that it feels like you "saved" when you didn't.

For me, I find that the LE PopSugar boxes and an occasional LE Luxor box can be tempting. But if you buy four LE per year - that could be $800-$1,000 extra!
    One of the things I am going to do is not only track my Box count but also my Box Cost. It can really motivate you to cut when instead of 1 Annual Sub it says $1,200!
    @Nightshift

Absolutely cancel PopSugar! Canceling PS will be almost painless for you because so many other people sub that you can always pick up the items you want after the fact if that is what you even really want it later!

You will feel Stronger and more In Control each time you Drop a box -- so cancel a box and feel Awesome today! You deserve it.
  • DianeERDianeER Posts: 1,203Member
    Well done, @Ann. It's hard to do, I know. I just got my first Vine Oh! box this week and cancelled right away, so I've avoided another box coming through my door. But I just keep thinking, "What if the next one is great?"

Reading the forums and MSA reveals after I've cancelled a box has always given me some powerful FOMO, but so far I've stayed strong (other than the very occasional one-time/LE box). I'm left with Robb Vices and sometimes Adidas Avenue A (although that one may be sent packing any day now). I almost cringe when I get swap requests: I'm happy enough to send my things to others, but I have to accept more things coming back in return. :) But I still have what feels like regret about several boxes I've given up.

Is it really regret? I don't really NEED those things, but I do LIKE them. But... they're all THINGS. And I don't need to increase the number of THINGS I have hanging in closets or sitting in drawers or on counters... or in my swap listings. What can I do to reduce or remove this feeling of regret, FOMO, desire...? (Maybe I need a crash course in Buddhist principles.)
    @Ann I knowwwwww :bawling: but I don't think I'm strong enough today to cancel PS. I will cancel Neko box. I just realized that for the last box, I opened it all, admired everything for 20 seconds and immediately packed it away for some time in the future when I own my own apartment/house and can put shelves up to display. I can't even really remember what was in it.
  • DonnaDonna Posts: 421Member
    @Ann thank you for your posts. They are motivating and supportive. I've been thinking about cancelling a couple of subs and this thread has given me the push to do that today.
    edited June 29
  • DianeERDianeER Posts: 1,203Member
    @Nightshift [hugs]
  • CMBCMB Posts: 311Member
    @Ann - Good plan to keep in mind the costs... not just the boxes but the swapping costs as well! I think when I first started swapping my USPS/Paypal shipping charges were so crazy that my credit card called me to make sure they weren't fraudulent, lol. Granted, that was also because I messed a few labels up and had several with the same charge (voided later), but still, that was probably a sign!

Next step after adding up the costs is not just getting a box because it's a "deal." If I can't find a use for almost all items in the box, I won't buy it. Also I think I just need to take inventory of my candles, certain beauty products, etc. so I am aware of what I have squirreled away as "gifts" and such.... maybe keep it on a spreadsheet that I can look at before ordering a box :)

But I will need support in Fall/Winter, so let's keep this going!