Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Many Highlighters is Too Many???

SJPSJP Posts: 2,215Member
edited July 16 in General
Is there a limit? ;)

How Many Highlighters is Too Many??? 107 votes

1 --- All highlighters are useless.
30%
ChristinaSarahFrancesDaisydoodle78Katiemopeysealion4820AnnlizRMandypstacyboxjoychefkristinKnitrexHappyCatmagoosmomcareyb2crazyspanielsginamarie135Jennifer3141LunaLuminousSoul 33 votes
3 --- Three covers all the bases.
35%
MoiSurtoutAngienharryRainTamaraSaizamimiretzmonamonsterWendyElissasaraprettycatjulzy567MariekkhryseeBoerboelmombelliumKristyDonnaRaeKatzlorrainepang 38 votes
5 --- There are so many uses!
6%
joiedevie99SKDlalalafloydemslindsaylovessummerninjacatcnbrindejonc 7 votes
10 --- Don't make me pick a favorite!!
2%
entwashianTanya3jamzilli 3 votes
Too many??? NO SUCH THING!
24%
chrisSmarwhKCMandieSJPvkbrownMoonAndStarscleegiantsEm_PJackiecupcakeTequila_DebPlaidGirlMaxzmomAmandaCCheyJennWin1980hkabsstarlightMiaow236ftblondstef 26 votes
Swap Profile:http://swap.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/user/19989/profile

***Please be aware that I don't always get notifications when tagged, so if I haven't responded please PM me.***

Comments

• SJPSJP Posts: 2,215Member
    When I first started getting highlighters in boxes they were all varying shades of brown/bronze. Those colors just make it look like I have dirt on my face, so those were entirely useless to me.

Recently, however, the makeup world has embraced the holographic trend & there are now highlighters in almost every color of the rainbow. They are ethereal & so, so pretty and I've officially developed an unhealthy attachment to them---I'm irresistibly drawn to them & I have to use all my willpower to stop myself from buying them ALL!

Am I alone in this tragedy, surrounded by my mounds of gloriously sparkly, colorful treasures??

***Please be aware that I don't always get notifications when tagged, so if I haven't responded please PM me.***
  • SJPSJP Posts: 2,215Member
    Oh, I would like to add that I was introduced to the slippery slope of highlighter-addiction by @entwashian & all her awesome suggestions from Colourpop. You're a bad (good?) influence @entwashian ! :naughty: :innocent: :naughty: :innocent: ;)

• whitpickwhitpick Posts: 1,123Member
    Lol. I only use one - benefit watts up as an eyeshadow. Of course, I have about 5 backups so maybe I should have voted differently!
  • KristyKristy Posts: 2,261Member
    I always hate getting more highlighter, because it takes forever to go through one. I have a couple in my makeup kit, but I don't really highlight everyday so I'll be throwing them away before I use them up.
  • SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 996Member
    I have combo-oily skin and good bone structure, so I don't really use highlighter because I think it makes me look more oily and I don't really need countouring. Plus, I have a somewhat large nose and don't want to draw more attention to it by adding highlight, and contouring to make it look smaller is too much work for me, lol.
  • 6ftblondstef6ftblondstef Posts: 19Member
    @whitpick that particular product was my gateway drug! And i think its still my fav today. The creamy formula, ease of application (all over my whole face, yaaas!!!) love me some Watts up!
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,758Member
    Hahaha a year ago I would have voted that 1 is too many... now I'm addicted to all the fun colors.

If you think you have no use for highlighters, try the rainbow highlighter from Bitter Lace Beauty. It will change your life, lol.
  • JennWin1980JennWin1980 Posts: 181Member
    Highlighter is one of my weaknesses. I don't like matte makeup. I like the glowy look! I recently got the Becca x Chrissy Teigen palette, and it is stunning. Becca Opal is my all time fave.
  • Miaow23Miaow23 Posts: 141Member
    @entwashian , seriously, why show that pic :( :( until two seconds ago, I was none the wiser and now I can't believe such a highlighter exists and why I don't have it. Ugh >:)
  • GrishmaGrishma Posts: 1,608Member
    edited July 16
    I was torn between don't make me pick a favorite and no such thing as too many highlighters.
    Maybe the only things I'm not yet comfortable with are liquid highlighters. Kvd alchemist, watts up, Mary Lou manizer, becca.....how does one pick a favorite. Shouldn't your favorite just depend on your mood n your poa for the hour! Also if the other highlighters find out that I picked only one favorite, it'll break their hearts. I don't discriminate between my babies!!!!! :confounded:

Edited to add: this poll made me count mine. I'm at 8 currently. And I've only started using highlighters around December 2016. I think I've got the addiction under control!
    Post edited by Grishma on
  • Em1Em1 Posts: 1,188Member
    edited July 16
    You guys, I don't wear any makeup but I watch Tati's videos on YouTube and I swear, if I wore makeup, i would be obsessed with highlighter! I went to sephora and swatched some of the Cover FX drops and oh my goodness!! That stuff is incredible! I've used highlighter only once, at a wedding I went to in March. It was a small sample of Benefit's High Beam that I happened to have stashed in my makeup for the past few years. It was so pretty!!
  • lalalalalala Posts: 1,484Member
    5 --- There are so many uses!
    I have four...wait...five different ones I can think of, off the top of my head.
    It's actually too many to really NEED, but I make use of them as I can. Only one is a repurchase/swap to get more at this point.
    I was waiting for cover Fx halo and aurora for months n months. Sadly both of them disappointed me. Other than spectra from aurora nothing else looked great on my skin. I should be happy that I saved that money but I'm sad instead. I've been recommended to try lime crime though. Something to look forward to.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a light-medium South Asian skin tone? Like I mentioned, I've only used Benefit's High Beam and it was pretty but it may have been too pink/icy for my skin tone, so there must be something better.
    @Em1 for daily (casual) use, Mary Lou manizer and becca (opal/champagne) are perfect (I'm an Indian with medium-warm skin tone). I wear these on top of benefit watts up and barely need to touch up for 10hrs. They stay forever.
    P.S - use manizer with a very light hand, it's very pigmented.
    @Grishma I use Mary Lou Manizer as a shadow. It's so pretty. I'd have to use it as a blush rather than highlighter if I wanted to use it on my cheeks, though.

@Em1 I can't recommend ColourPop highlighters enough. They are so dreamy smooth and easy to smudge on with a finger. And they come in a ton of different shades. Sounds like Highly Waisted might be a good shade for you.
  • megganinwonderlandmegganinwonderland Posts: 351Member
    @entwashian I have been waiting to try highlighters but on my pale, fair skin they look awful. Do you have recommendations?
    @megganinwonderland do you know if you have cool/pink/red undertones or warm/yellow undertones? If you're going for a more natural look, you'll want to find one that compliments you. (I personally love crazy iridescent not-at-all-natural-looking highlighters, lol.)

My favorites are ColourPop highlighters. Monster is my all-time favorite, a sheer pink shimmer (I have cool undertones), but if you have warmer undertones, Stole the Show is a sheer highlighter with pretty gold shimmers.
    @entwashian ohh for my skin Cindy Lou is more of a blush and Mary Lou is a shimmery pigment (very similar to lunch money-Cpop).
    Btw do you have any pinkish or plum recommendations from colourpop (monster might be too light for me I think)? I realized that with my yellow undertones I use pink opal from kvd so much that I am beginning to see the bottom of the pan. It's horrifying how much highlighter I can get through in a month :lol:
  • megganinwonderlandmegganinwonderland Posts: 351Member
    @entwashian I have cool undertones as well, so I will look for Monster! Thanks for the recommendations :smile:
    @Grishma I'm not sure how the ones I am most familiar with would work on your skin tone. I loooove Sticky Sweet so much in the pan, it's gorgeous, but again, I have to use it as a blush, and it hasn't been very effective at that, lol.

I've learned to do a Google image search before buying any ColourPop products, because they can look really different on the site (especially when it comes to things like glitter vs shimmer, or iridescent/color-shifting products). So a good way to look is to browse the ColourPop site, click on a shade that looks like it might be what you want, then do the Google image search.
    @entwashian what a coincidence! I had just added sticky sweet and forget me not to my basket lol. They are on my August-to buy list. I've done enough small purchases in July with all the sale going on lol. But ya, I have to find the pigments on YouTube before buying for sure. And specifically from ppl with similar skin tones. Pan n skin are soo different for my recent colourpop purchase. Thankfully both are delicious lol.
    @Grishma I had to laugh! I can't think of anything casual about highlighters! I wish I could be that goddess-glowy every day. But thanks for the recs. The Becca shades are so beautiful.

@entwashian I've been wanting to try Colourpop anything! I've heard such good things.
  • mimiretzmimiretz Posts: 587Member
    @SamanthaL I, too, have a somewhat long nose. If you do happen to have a highlighter and want to use it, you can use it down your nose anywhere from 2/3 to 3/4 (depending on how large your nose is), then stop and blend. It will actually make your nose look a little shorter. Be sure to use a color that isn't far from your skintone.
  • KECKEC Posts: 240Member
    edited July 16
    I have a pretty small face and I feel like I'm always shiny, so I don't use much highlighter. I don't have anyone to teach me aside from YouTube! Has anyone watched the Wayne Goss videos? The ones where he lampoons the year's worst-used trends are hilarious, especially overdoing the dot on the tip of the nose, and over-bronzing the face while ignoring the neck and ears entirely.
  • jamzillijamzilli Posts: 579Member
    edited July 16
    I'm a little lazy on makeup, so sometimes if I'm actually wearing one I use them as kind of an all-over glowy primer kind of thing under my makeup. My favorites for this are the Tarino Tarantino pearl glow primer and Guerlain pearls!

The other thing I've been using is the Nars unfiltered palettes. Not even sub box items!!!!
  • jamzillijamzilli Posts: 579Member
    edited July 16
    @Jackiecupcake I have been super curious about that palette (and similar other multi-color highlighter sets), but I fear I'm too lazy to figure out how to make it look good! This probably means I will eventually buy one. :)
    @Grishma Have you tried the Cargo highlighter that came in FFF? If so, what did you think?