Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good skincare for oily skin?

WilliamhdcWilliamhdc Posts: 1Member
edited August 9 in General
[Spam, but I don't want to delete this comment or the whole thread will disappear.]
Post edited by chris on

Comments

• GrishmaGrishma Posts: 1,881Member
    julep cleansing oil, kate somerville eradikate daily cleanser (sephora recommended this to me), kate somerville eradikate, josie maran argan oil, boscia charcoal melt, cosrx patches (suggested to me by sephrenia300 on this forum).
  • PinkFreudPinkFreud Posts: 216Member
    edited July 27
    I've had good results with Skyn Iceland, Indie Lee, Clearista, and Dr. G. I'm still looking for the Holy Grail for oily skin, but I've been pretty happy with these, so far.
  • sephrenia300sephrenia300 Posts: 240Member
    @Grishma have you tried them yet? They are like witchcraft!
  • LunaLuna Posts: 1,782Member
    To add on to @Jackiecupcake 's comment, it's also a good idea to focus on hydrating the skin (via humectants like glycerin, honey, & hyaluronic acids) in addition to keeping your skin moisturized. Humectants will draw moisture from the air to hydrate your skin. However, if you live in a dry environment, unfortunately the humectants will draw water from your body, so that's where good hydration comes in. The purpose of a moisturizer is to lock in the moisture, and prevent moisture loss from your skin. Emollients in moisturizers are what helps with the feeling of smoothness in the skin. But, some moisturizers also have humectants in them too!

I've always had oily skin, but ever since I started to use oils, hydrators, and balms in my skincare routine since last year, the oil production has vastly reduced. It's still there (genetics, pfft!), but it's nowhere near the production to what it used to be. I used to have to use at least four blotting papers around lunch time when I could actually see the shine of light reflecting off my nose, but now there are many days where I don't use any at all, and end the day with just a nice "glow".

For a hydrator, once of the best I've used is Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 gel.
  • JennyJenny Posts: 1Member
    Cleansing oils are amazing on my oily skin. I am a big fan of double cleansing, it has made a huge difference in my skin. My HG combo is Tatcha cleansing oil followed by Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip, then of course toner, serum and a good moisturizer.
  • janemockingjayjanemockingjay Posts: 1,148Member
    I can attest for the "lack of oils is producing more oils" theory. Ive always had super oily skin, like put on my makeup and two hours later have to use two blotting papers bad.

A couple months back I was so frustrated with not being able to keep my makeup on all day that I decided to follow the advice of a blog and start using a moisturizer even though I had oily skin.

It was awful for a couple weeks while my skin adjusted and it was even more oily than usual, but now my skin is way more balanced and I don't have to use a blotter at all most of the time or sometimes just toward the end of my 10 hour shift at work if my face is worse than usual that day.

My current routine is:
    Bar soap face cleanser in the shower in the morning (Bastide soap) followed with Circ Cell moisturizer/sunscreen (it is very lightweight and doesn't make your skin have that heavy feeling that is even worse than being oily), then at night I use Skyn glacial face cleanser, a toner (currently Radice but any good toner will work, then the moisturizer again and my acne medicine (Curology). You could also implement an anti aging cream at night if needed but don't use anything but cleanser and moisturizer in the morning or you will end up oily.
  • BlackberryBlackberry Posts: 1,527Member
    Okay, so @janemockingjay I was going to ask - did it get worse first? Because I have oily skin and whenever I try to use anything on my face like oils or moisturizers - I get zits. I'm almost 50 by the way. So...do it through the pain of the zits for how long before I give up and really do realize I have oily skin and not dry skin that is producing extra oil?
  • lrn12lrn12 Posts: 302Member
    Murad oil mattifying lotion is amazing! I use it everyday and it was literally life changing for me.
    @Blackberry I think you need to keep any regime for atleast 2-3weeks to see a difference. At night I rinse my face with charcoal cleanser before serum/oil/moisturizer. In the shower I use charcoal konjac sponge to rinse n clean my face (no chemicals in that cleanse). Then moisturize (before primer and BB).
    When I moisturize (esp new moisturizer) without exfolicating I have noticed instant zits as well. Even some of the highly rated and higher end moisturizer like clarins or riley have given me instant zits (before I discovered swapping, I used to use them as foot creams, it was that bad a state!).
    @lrn12 Sephora told me Murad is very age specific. Is that true? It apparently doesn't work very well on the dark side of 30. :disappointed: I just gave the perky young adult an eyeroll and walked away :lol:
    @Grishma I'll give it a go - will look so awful!
  • finlidanfinlidan Posts: 1,750Member
    I stopped washing my face in the morning and I use Thayer's witch hazel and Clinique moisturizing gel. I have the oiliest skin ever and it isn't due to dehydration it's just naturally oily. At least it keeps my skin youthful!
    I guess I should mention that I don't use makeup except on Sundays or special occcasions and I never use any type of concealer cream on my face (forget what that's called at the moment). I use a light veil type of powder on my nose and a bit of blush and eyeshadow with eyeliner and lip balm - that's it. So I don't have anything to take off my face daily. And when I try to moisturize or use oils I get zits. I seem to do best with using toner on my entire face every evening and morning and just a bit of cream around my eyes. I do use moisturizer in the winter months with success.
    And I enjoy the dr Brandt microdermabrasion in the shower with a lip exfoliator.
    @Blackberry my acne didn't get worse during the initial "oil purge" but I'm also on Curology which is fricken amazing and helps prevent any breakouts I get anymore so that is probably why
    @janemockingjay of course I had to look up Curology. Do you get it every month? Are you close to my age?
    @Blackberry I'm 32 so not sure if we are the same age or not but they customize it for your specific needs anyways. Its an every other month program and the bottles they send are more than enough to last the whole two months. I got it for acne but it has helped with my redness and the fine lines that were beginning on my forehead too.
  • lrn12lrn12 Posts: 302Member
    @Grishma I'm over 30 and it's my holy grail! With Sephora's return policy, you can always try it and if if doesn't work for you, take it back. :)
    @janemockingjay guess who's doing curology?!? Lol - had to try it. Will let you know what I think. And I'm 47 :) <3
    @Blackberry I loooooove Curology. It's worked awesome for me
  • olive1924olive1924 Posts: 338Member
    I use what http://www.snowwhiteandtheasianpear.com/2016/03/beginner-friendly-simple-k-beauty_13.html?m=1 lists for starter kit #1 and add on some masks and whatnot. My previously oily, acne prone skin is now luminous and clear and I'm spending much less money than I was before.
    @Blackberry I don't think you'll regret it at all. It took about a month but the difference in my skin was pretty dramatic after that. I stopped it for a couple weeks and my acne started coming back along with skin redness on my cheeks so I know for sure now that it is what was helping with the breakouts I kept getting and I'm not stopping it again
  • SKDSKD Posts: 264Member
    I love Sunday Riley. I use the UFO oils few times a week, good genes and tidal. I'll use the CEO as a mask. I've found that if I don't moisturizer well the oil gets crazy out of control. I have to still use a mattifying primer and found the one by Becca to be my favorite so far.
    Good news about oily skin is we'll get fewer wrinkles!
  • magoosmommagoosmom Posts: 257Member
    Is Curology good for anyone without acne, just oily skin? I get breakouts occasionally but stay pretty oily. I don't want to use this if it's meant for more severe issues. I definitely can get behind the anti-aging though. I'm 41 and my skin is just oily. I really don't think it's dry skin overproducing oil (but I could be wrong). I am still trying to find the right combination of skincare to cut down on the oil, but still leave it lightly moisturized for the anti-aging benefits. I need to get a new konjac charcoal sponge because that was a really nice, natural way to gently exfoliate while fighting the oil too.
    @magoosmom Curology can sometimes have anti aging products added to it if the dermatologist assigned to you recommends it but it is mostly for acne and discoloration of the skin. It doesn't help with oiliness of the skin though.
  • Randi2Randi2 Posts: 2,239Member
    @janemockingjay @finlidan do you (or did you) have to quit using all of your other beauty products when use curology?

do they just send cleansers? or cleansers and acne treatment?
    @Randi2 you don't have to quit your other products unless they have Retinol in them. They recommend that you only use the cream and a daily cleanser and moisturizer but I have still been using my exfoliators, face masks, serums, eye cream, etc and haven't had any irritation. As far as I know it's just a sub for the cream, they don't have cleansers you can get with them. For oily skin I can't recommend Sunday Riley slip cleanser highly enough. It's super expensive for a cleanser but it's a miracle in a bottle and you would end up saving money because you don't even need makeup remover with it. Only cleanser I've ever found that removes mascara and everything without having to scrub super hard or double cleanse and it will make your face soooooo soft. The only downside to it is that it stinks but it doesn't leave a scent on my face afterwards so I suffer through it.
    @Randi2 It's just a treatment. I use it at night before moisturizer but after washing / using witch hazel. Curology basically replaced the Stridex pads I used to use at night.