Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

@jegac111 SPAM - PLEASE READ

chrischris Posts: 3,883Member, Moderator
edited August 1 in General
FYI... @jegac111 spammed some forum members this morning via PM. She has been blocked from this site. If you received a message from her, please delete it and do not reply.

Thank you!

Comments

• Randi2Randi2 Posts: 2,239Member
    edited August 1
    @chris now I have a "3" on my little message icon showing 3 unread messages (that were from her)... but I can't read them now since she is blocked...

how do I get rid of that notification?

ETA:
    they're gone now- thank you @chris
  • chrischris Posts: 3,883Member, Moderator
    Randi2 said:

@chris now I have a "3" on my little message icon showing 3 unread messages (that were from her)... but I can't read them now since she is blocked...
    how do I get rid of that notification?

Interesting question. I will try to figure this out since I hadn't heard of this before. Let me get back to the group here.
    @chris they're gone now... (The message notifications)

And just out of curiosity, why does this user show up as online?
  • SMZSMZ Posts: 1,428Member
    @chris Yes, Maybe I will win the Turkish lottery again too! ;)
  • NightshiftNightshift Posts: 2,128Member
    Well, darn. Now they're reading all our threads and they'll know how to polish up their scam for next time.
    @chris thanks for the info!

the red banned pic caught my eye and I just thought it was strange that the banned user was still "online" - but what you said makes sense. thanks again
  • sarasara Posts: 3,877Member
    @Chris, thank you. But I am curious, can you tell whether she/he entered all our names individually and sent separate PM's, as it appears, or had a program generate them? If there is a program, can we be sure info in our PMs isn't being scraped again? I worry about this because email addresses and real addresses are sent through PMs at times...
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
  • chrischris Posts: 3,883Member, Moderator
    edited August 1
    @sara I'm pretty sure it was individually based on timing. We can check into this further though.
    Thanks, @chris.
  • AirianAirian Posts: 364Member
    Thanks @chris, looks like they we're looking at our info since we all received different emails. Glad you guys were able to take action. I was wondering if I was the only one receiving that email.

@SMZ, I can pass along their email on mine I'm getting more than 3 million dollars, and I have yet to claim them! :D :p
  • minniethecatminniethecat Posts: 384Member
    @Airian how do you know everyone received different emails? The two I received are just like what everyone else described.
  • AirianAirian Posts: 364Member
    @minniethecat, I'm just assuming since someone mentioned true love and donation and mine was about getting money and building a church.
  • minniethecatminniethecat Posts: 384Member
    @Airian oh ok. Maybe the spammers have more than one form letter.
    Ha! I must be more worthy- mine is for $8.3 million, the husband was "involved in the Malaysian airline". And they were "christains"- all through the email. How long would it have taken to PM everyone individually? I get that if you are a member you can just start typing letters in the "to" box for PM, and cut and paste, but still... maybe a whole sweatshop of people signed in?
  • LunaLuna Posts: 1,782Member
    sara said:

... How long would it have taken to PM everyone individually? I get that if you are a member you can just start typing letters in the "to" box for PM, and cut and paste, but still... maybe a whole sweatshop of people signed in?

@sara I take it you haven't seen Silicon Valley. :smiley:
    In case you haven't, they were doing a start up, and someone hired a whole roomful of people in India to create accounts to make their new app(?) seem like they were getting a ton of new users. My guess is this is the same for spammers looking for $$$.
    edited August 1
    Haha @luna, I LIVE in Silicon Valley, and live it too with two sons working in it. With all the comments coming under one name, though, it would be one account, that's why I thought they could have a bunch of people signed in at once. Unfortunately, that's also why I asked whether it could be a program. Programs scraping a site are pretty easy to write, from what I know, and the blocks to stop it have to continually be monitored and updated. Being able to spam us is annoying, but being able to get info from our PMs could be harmful.

I would note, after the first scraping episode, I spell out my email address when I put it in PM, and separate my address with periods. It doesn't make it perfect, but it wouldn't fit right away into the simplest scraping formats (coming from my son who has written legit scraping programs)
  • lotusflower13lotusflower13 Posts: 1,506Member
    @SMZ I get them everyday in one of my email accounts, I can pass them along to you if you'd like ;)
  • LunaLuna Posts: 1,782Member
    @sara That makes sense. I'm probably the most furthest thing from being technologically savvy (I had to have someone show me how to email a picture from my phone the other day... and I'm only in my 30's!!! ha!), so anything else beyond the old-school way of having individuals manually spamming everyone totally escaped me. haha.
    Thanks, @chris
  • sarita3sarita3 Posts: 160Member
    Any word on how to get rid of the notifications icons that won't go away. They're driving me crazy!