Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you need us...

HollyHolly Posts: 407Member
Ladies and gents,

We know there's a lot of potentially devastating weather and events occurring. If people need items, maybe this can be a thread to request them. For me, this blog has always been a safe haven for support and friendship. In that spirit, let's create a thread for those who might need a little extra love in the upcoming weeks. I'm confident we can pool our resources for some general needs. We love you all, and we are thinking about you. Let us know how we can help!

Comments

• whitpickwhitpick Posts: 1,122Member
    Awesome @Holly great idea, we are here and ready to help!
  • Love2323Love2323 Posts: 625Member
    As I was packing to escape SW Fl an idea occurred to me instead of sending bonus items let's send them to whoever in Fl & tx r making care packages for hurricane survivors
    ID: 1481109015524778
    Anyone living near putnum county westchester area of NY able to tell me where to get cheap winter clothes all I grabbed was what I had Summer Clothes as I ran out the door I'm in Garrison NY & its cold
  • JodiAnneJodiAnne Posts: 2,053Member
    edited September 9
    @Love2323 you're so close to me! I'm in Westchester county! :) Burlington Coat Factory has clothing on the cheaper side. they have EVERYTHING. My go to is always TJs or even Target. But definitely Burlington!
    Oh.. There are also the Woodbury Commons outlets as well.
  • KECKEC Posts: 238Member
    edited September 9
    @Love2323, I'm in Brewster. Kohl's and Value Village (hardware/general store) here have inexpensive clothes. You probably already know about the Target near you. My mother and I were going to buy some packs of tees and socks at Kohl's, things anyone could use. Also, the thrift stores might have started setting out some sweatshirts, sweaters, flannels at this time of year.

Also, anyone in Westchester/Putnam counties: I just heard that there is a drive down in Valhalla, NY, collecting donated items for people affected by the hurricanes. Give it a Google.
    Thanks but I meant cheap like a goodwill only need for a wk till irma destroys my house
    @Love2323, I think there is a Goodwill on rte 9 in Wappinger's. It's a decent sized place. There're also a couple of thrift stores in Peekskill.
    @Love2323, so sorry I didn't realize you had a house down there! I hope for the best for you and your home through all of this. I saw your posts about taking in dogs to care for. That is wonderful!
  • SKDSKD Posts: 236Member
    edited September 9
    If you want to help in Texas there is a big need for diapers, wipes and formula. This is a vetted organization. The Texas Diaper Bank has been here giving out what they can.
    http://www.texasdiaperbank.org
    If you want to send items the local assistance group in Cypress is also taking diapers as well as new toiletries. Please don't send clothes. There are literally mountains of them at the center.
    Thank you @Holly for starting this thread. You've got a huge heart!
    @KEC lol I live in Sarasota fl prior to being displaced by irma I WAS going to help Harvey victims but who knew
    Wed I was going to drop & run to my son in Garrison NY
    If anyone has sz 8-10 petite or a warm jacket etc nx week I might be in need but today just praying this is a short stay but it seems Sarasota might be direct hit.
    > @KEC said:
    > @Love2323, I'm in Brewster. Kohl's and Value Village (hardware/general store) here have inexpensive clothes. You probably already know about the Target near you. My mother and I were going to buy some packs of tees and socks at Kohl's, things anyone could use. Also, the thrift stores might have started setting out some sweatshirts, sweaters, flannels at this time of year.
    >
    > Also, anyone in Westchester/Putnam counties: I just heard that there is a drive down in Valhalla, NY, collecting donated items for people affected by the hurricanes. Give it a Google.

I am in the town next to Valhalla so if anyone needs info let me know and I'll try yo relay as much as I can!
    @JodiAnne, I believe it is the Valhalla Fire Dept that's collecting on Sunday. My mom's bringing down some tees and socks we picked up today, for adults and kids. I'm moving to PA tomorrow (!). If anyone on this forum who's near Philly knows of local organizing collections, let me know!
    > @KEC said:
    > @JodiAnne, I believe it is the Valhalla Fire Dept that's collecting on Sunday. My mom's bringing down some tees and socks we picked up today, for adults and kids. I'm moving to PA tomorrow (!). If anyone on this forum who's near Philly knows of local organizing collections, let me know!

Awesome!!! I dropped some stuff off at the Pleasantville Fire Station for Harvey... Looks like Valhalla will be my drop off point for irma
    @SKD I need warm tops & jacket till I can go home. If I have a home.being Sarasota is between ft Myers & Tampa part of Tampa bay Ss r expecting direct hit. Prayers are needed Everyone remember Fl doesn't need fall or winter which I NEED. in Fl it's in the 80's
    Actually I grabbed my swaps which r in the car a pain to get to but I'm willing to unload and swap for warm jacket & tops when I get the car back Monday the shocks & struts went costing me another 1k on top of unplanned trip at $3.50 gal in fl
  • nelliebelle1197nelliebelle1197 Posts: 2,592Member
    @Love2323 it also looks like it is going to be upper 70s/80s in Garrison so you can probably hit the thrift stores for a light jacket or sweaters for the cooler mornings.
    Great will speak w them
    @nelliebelle1197 yes nx wk
    edited September 10
    @Love2323 I totally understand your plight. I live in Houston now so no need for winter clothes. But my family lives in CT. Winter trips always require shopping. Can you PM me your current address? I know I've got some stuff in the back of my closet. What size do you need?
  • Jennifer3141Jennifer3141 Posts: 3,135Member
    @Love2323 It looks like you're going to have absolutely gorgeous weather in the coming days, so no need to go traveling to thrift stores up and down the Hudson. I'm glad you caught a break (although you may need to borrow an umbrella from your son if you end up staying through the end of the week).

• finlidanfinlidan Posts: 1,709Member
    I evacuated from Orlando to my hometown on the east coast (newer construction and hurricane shutters where I evacuated to). This hurricane has been a panic for everyone in Florida because throughout the week the projected path has shifted so much!!

Fingers crossed the tornados that come with the northeast side of the hurricane don't hit Orlando (or anywhere). There's a huge tree right by my house! The worst part is as of right now, I'm expected to come back Monday night and report to work Tuesday morning like normal. There is no telling what I'd come back to Monday night!
  • whitpickwhitpick Posts: 1,122Member
    @Jennifer3141 I was about to post the same thing! Good news @Love2323 the Weather Channel shows high 70s low 80s in Garrison this week so you won't need winter things! @SKD it is so generous of you after dealing with Hurricane Harvey to offer clothes to another! What a great bunch on this forum :)
    @SKD @Love2323 and yeah, the postage for shipping winter stuff and then shipping whatever @Love2323 sends to Houston as a thank you would be more than just hitting the thrift stores or even Marshall's for a light jacket or a couple extra sweaters to supplement the stuff you brought with you @Love2323
    edited September 10
    Oh, and I am from Panama City originally. I away now but I feel like I am in high school during hurricane season. My cousin always refuses to evacuate and this is the first hurricane in 30 years where we did not have to worry about him - he moved to Montana. I called him yesterday to see if he was planning to drive down so he can refuse to evacuate ....
  • jewlzjewlz Posts: 1,264Member
    @love2323 @skd I can verify @whitpick @Jennifer3141 are correct. I'm in the NY are and right now is one of the coldest times expected all week and I was just out on my deck in a short sleeved tshirt and am completely fine and comfortable. No need at all for winter clothing her for a while it looks like. One small ray of luck in all this mess.