Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Class Shipping Limit-Has there been a recent change back to 13 oz limit??

bumblebeebumblebee Posts: 117Member
Hey, I'm wondering if the Post Office has recently changed the limit on first class. My mom went to mail a package today (she printed off a first class shipping label from Paypal) which weighed 15.3 oz and the guy at the Post Office wouldn't accept it, saying the limit is 13 oz. I know the limit used to be 13 oz for first class, but thought it increased to 15.9 oz a while back. Actually, I think I mailed a package earlier this week that was 14 oz and it went First Class. Anyone had any issues shipping first class for packages over 13 oz and less than 16 oz?

Comments

• AACAAC Posts: 642Member
    @bumblebee There is no change, but you need to be on "commercial based" pricing to get the 13-15.99 oz weight. That requires printing from paypal, pirateship, or some other 3rd party provider of commercial based pricing.
    Ask me for my swap profile. :#
  • sarasara Posts: 3,883Member
    @bumblebee, I think it has always been 13 oz at the post office, but through PayPal you can do up to 16. Not sure why the P.O. guy was re-weighing it if it already had a label on it, couldn’t she just set it on the counter or drop it in a box?
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
  • GrishmaGrishma Posts: 1,905Member
    I just shipped something that was 13.5oz. PayPal considered it first class. Was that incorrect? I put the box in the Dropbox and left, maybe I need to go back n talk to my mailman friend?
  • TPopTPop Posts: 126Member
    The 13 oz. limit goes back to mail bombs in the 80's and had to do with the limit of what you could put in a mail box with just stamps on it (ie: no way of tracing you). If you use Paypal or the USPS site to print postage, they have your address, etc., and there is no limit. I have been printing from Paypal the last few weeks and have done several packages over 13 oz and up to a pound.

I have found several postal employees who had NO IDEA how online printed postage works. One was telling me he couldn't take it while I was explaining his job to him ("just scan it, already, and see what happens), meanwhile an older employee was laughing in the background.

I just leave my outgoing packages in my mailbox for the postal person to take. Though, the fill-in person last week had to be told to take them, so the lack of training goes everywhere.
    @sara yeah, that's the part that I didn't understand either.
  • bumblebeebumblebee Posts: 117Member
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses!! @sara That's what I told her too--that he shouldn't have to reweigh it and that she could just drop it off, but she likes to get a receipt. @AAC Good to know about the "commercial based" pricing being the difference and since she used Paypal, she should be all good. I think you're right @TPop that the guy behind the counter just doesn't have a clue; my mom she hadn't seen him there before so maybe he's new to working the counter.
  • sarasara Posts: 3,883Member
    @bumblebee, I print out my paypal labels with a receipt. I think it’s just as valid as one at the counter, so maybe that would help!
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
  • bumblebeebumblebee Posts: 117Member
    @sara Thanks, I would think so too. I'll pass that info along :)
  • PamPam Posts: 2,234Member
    I print PayPal or pirate ship. I always thought it was 14oz. If it's 15 or 16 that could save me money often
  • NyxNyx Posts: 1,568Member
    Yep, everyone's right about this one. I've been using stamps.com for years, sell on ebay, amazon, etsy and our own websites. First Class is up to 16oz if you're using commercial pricing which includes the ebay offering. Some of the desk clerks get pissy about scanning in parcels at the desk as the whole point of doing your postage at home is to decrease the man-hours needed at the post office. They are mad that you're "taking our jobs" but also mad that you're then asking them to scan in your packages for a receipt. At least that's how it is at our PO. I use the drop box in the lobby and rarely go to the counter for a receipt. Some of the clerks still get real snippy about it even though we've printed our own shipping labels for years. And no, they don't have to weigh it just to give you a receipt showing it was scanned in at a certain time and location. /rant
    I wasn’t sure where to post this info but it’s regarding PayPal shipping so here I go:

I weighed and printed out a label for 10oz at home. Then before shipping out I rechecked (yup I’m THAT paranoid sometimes) and found the weight to be 13.5oz not 10 like my house scale measured. Needless to say the scale is being tossed away.

I went to the post office to ask how I can change my label since I have already paid for it. They said, I can still ship out with the existing label and PayPal will just send me the bill for the difference.

That seems too easy. Anyone else done this before?
    @Grishma that's a new postal policy. Anyone with commercial/electronic billing will be charged for the price difference of the postage. Since you used paypal, paypal will be billed for any price difference and you'll be charged. For people buying stamps and non-commercial accounts, the packages will either be sent back or have postage due.
    @AAC thank you for the info. I might be better off just requesting refund from PayPal for this label and creating a new label for my package. I’m worried that the recipient will face any issues due to my shipping. I think that’s a safer move.
  • SJPSJP Posts: 2,227Member
    That's an alarming change in policy. The scale at my post office is wildly inaccurate---it has always calculated every single package I've ever sent at least 8 ounces too high. It has seriously curtailed my swapping habits.
    Swap Profile:http://swap.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/user/19989/profile

***Please be aware that I don't always get notifications when tagged, so if I haven't responded please PM me.***
    I don’t think it’s a policy change. My package was at 13.6 at usps and they said it was still first class. @SJP