Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Teen Girls Need Christmas Presents. Have extras?

melissaxxmccoolmelissaxxmccool Posts: 21Member
Do you have items you just can't swap?

It's come up in a few threads, so @lynndeanne and I got to thinking... let's turn our unwanted extras into holiday magic for teen girls!

This group--UCM Agency--does a holiday gift room for over 600 families with 1,000 kids

They also run a food bank and provide family support for working poor families, as well as people who hit a spot of trouble and need help keeping lights or heat or phone on.

Lynn noticed that they didn't have much for teen girls (but have tons for teen boys). They only promise gifts up to 14-years old but will give to older teens if they have enough.

HAVE EXTRAS TO DONATE? Lynn has agreed to collect everything and take it to them. We're focusing on teen girls, but they do accept new, unwrapped gifts for kids of any age. They also need holiday candy and treats.

Lynn will deliver to them by December 11. PM @lynndeanne for the address.

SOME IDEAS:
* Jewelry, jewelry boxes or organizers
* Makeup, cosmetic bags or pouches
* Makeup and perfume samples
* Scarves, socks, hats
* Wallets and Purses
* Crafts, other fun stuff for tweens and teens
* Anything you would you have liked when you were a teen

Comments

• lynndeannelynndeanne Posts: 704Member
    I spoke to them Monday and they are eager for any and all help for teen girls. They will supply donation slips if you need.
  • michellebellemichellebelle Posts: 447Member
    @jamzilli my stowaway palette is already in my box, along with the red clear handbag, Michael Stars skinny scarf, jack and Lucy hat, Winky Lux, and more!
    When @melissaxxmccool first suggested, I thought it was BRILLIANT way to transform stowaway's and other albatrosses into exciting holiday gifts.

I've been collecting Ipsy and Sephora bags so I can make sets of smaller items. (I picked up some awesome mini-jewelry boxes at TJ Maxx, too.) So orphaned lipstick, mascara, nail polish, jewelry, hair thingies, socks, etc. can also go towards an awesome gift. Plus, since each pouch will get a nice mix of things, I can throw samples in there, too!

They get a ton of stuff for little kids, but not nearly as much for teens so they are thinking of the makeup pouches as equalling a gift. I think of them more as a stocking item, so I am really hoping to collect enough so that the teens can get a present and a pouch.
  • ElmaElma Posts: 1,146Member
    My girls picked Children's Hospital to do the donations for this year :)
  • JackiecupcakeJackiecupcake Posts: 1,133Member
    Bump!

This is a lovely idea! I teach at a super low-income school, so the teachers get together and do an angel tree for those most in need. I'll check my stock and see what I have left. :)
    Big thanks to everyone who has PM'd to ask for address -- this is going to be so much fun. I'll take pics and it looks like @cleegiants will try to go with me to drop off. Yeah!

Here's a link for more info about the holiday room and the group: http://www.ucmagency.org/ucm-holiday-gift-room-2017.html
  • melissaxxmccoolmelissaxxmccool Posts: 21Member
    Thank you all so much for your nice messages and for sending in your extras!

Big Question: How many teenagers have "inflatable swan" on their Christmas list? LOL!

• lizRlizR Posts: 591Member
    @lynndeanne got your PM. Putting together items and hope to have box mailed later this week. Thanks for doing this!
  • JodiAnneJodiAnne Posts: 2,097Member
    I have some makeup items I can donate if you are still ISO things for teen girls!! I've cancelled my boxes so don't have much coming in, but have numerous eye-shadows and other small things. PM me an address to send tjem to and I will be sure to get them out this week! :)
    @wldflowur13 Too bad we don't live near each other -- they could send both teen gifts and elderly gifts to me and I could pass on to you to save people from having to do double shipping.

Although... maybe that would work if I shipped a box to you? need for teens December 9, which is before you likely need for nursing home.

People could send fun stuff- jewelry/nail polish/stowaways and other palettes/makeup/cosmetic bags or jewelry rolls/scarves,fun socks, albatrosses and LVKiki, etc. for teen girls and maybe toiletries, socks, nail polish for the elderly in one box to me and I then consolidate all into one box and ship to you? Might work. (People just need to put a note in box so I know to send on.)

Might be too complicated, but I'd be happy to do if it makes it easy to donate.
  • Shar0nShar0n Posts: 33Member
    bump, support the idea
    Bump - post is getting OMs but maybe we need to post here to keep thread going. Here's a question: which albatrosses would make great teen gifts?

Stowaways, for sure
  • JenniferLJenniferL Posts: 472Member
    @lynndeanne: FabFitFun gym bags (you’ll be getting one of those from me).
  • oniontearsoniontears Posts: 362Member
    @lynndeanne I definitely have things to send, just have to look through my stuff to see what is suitable. Can you pm me your address?
    @JenniferL The FabFitFun bags are a great idea! I'm definitely too old (and fat) to be carrying the one I got -- "Meet You at the Barre". I thought about giving to my niece, but she's on her university's dance team and has one from there. I'll add mine, too.

@oniontears Just sent you a PM with address.

Another idea -- I know I have way too many water bottles and cups. Maybe the "Free refills" red cup? Or a mug with hot chocolate?
  • shelli320shelli320 Posts: 340Member
    @lynndeanne I will gladly donate to such a wonderful cause. Please PM where to send.. Thanks <3
    @shelli320 -- sent you a PM.

EVERYONE: @wldflowur13 is collecting gifts for elderly people in assisted living. She has about 55 people, so if you have any small gifts that would work for them, feel free to include in same box you send to me. I will ship on to her. (Much better than everyone having to send two boxes!)

Now we have THREE kinds of gifts we need ideas for:

What albatrosses or swap items would be good:

* stand-along gifts for teens?
    * nice additions to an Ipsy or Sephora bag with makeup/jewelry?
    * small gifts (or bingo prizes) for elderly people in assisted living? Not sure what her split is between men/women.
    Oh, I don't know if I said this but Ipsy, Sephora, or similar bags would be a BIG help. I've been collecting, but with so many people helping I will need more. (Good problem to have!!)
  • pj2014pj2014 Posts: 173Member
    I have sent boxes to @lynndeanne and @wldflowur13 today. Hopefully the items can be put to good use. Please share pics!
  • wldflowur13wldflowur13 Posts: 707Member
    Thank you so very much @lynndeanne! I know any donations would make a huge difference.

And as a side note: I'm disabled so funds are really limited. There's an organization in my area that does a Christmas shop that sounds like the organization that @lynndeanne is collecting for. Each family gets to go and "shop" for one or two gifts per family member. I can't even begin to tell you guys how much of a blessing this is. A lot of families would not be able to get a Christmas gift for their children/loved ones if it wasn't for the donations. So truly, it really does make such a huge difference.
  • reganb1reganb1 Posts: 1,084Member
    Bump and suggestion - 143 of the aloha trucker hat up. I am apparently the only crazy person who swapped for an extra and use it a lot! But most likely a huge hit for teen girls (which I have come to realize I apparently will always be).

As for the elderly they also like to feel cute and would enjoy some of the millions of necklaces we often get and most facilities have a small library and would happily take some of your never read popsugar books. At a bare minimum Evelyn hugo was awesome and so old Hollywood
    @raganb1 The Aloha hat is a GREAT idea! Maybe some of the other hats as well.

@jenniferl had a great idea -- if anyone has clothes from boxes, the girls are sure to like that! Re sizes/sytles - the Mom's pick items for their daughters, so the items will go to someone who can use it.
  • JenniferLJenniferL Posts: 472Member
    Someone was complaining in another thread about being unable to swap the Jack and Lucy black hat from PSMH. That would be another albatross to nominate.
  • melissaxxmccoolmelissaxxmccool Posts: 21Member
    Oh, these are so cute! There are lots of the red plastic bags on the swap site. What are those called? Those would be good! I imagine little lotions and perfumes for the older ladies, maybe lipsticks?
    Love this!
    I think we should mention this to Liz. Maybe she could write a little something on the main page about it? Lots of people on the swap site are not on this. I wonder how we could reach other people?