Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Palette Chat & Swaps

sarasara Posts: 3,876Member
edited December 2 in Swaps
So, I am curious, how do people feel about all these palettes? I don’t wear much eyeshadow, my daughter and her friends don’t wear much eyeshadow, and I get about 6 palettes a year between boxes. (FFF and PS, looking at you!). Right now, I have the Pur travel palette, the Douce FFF nude palette and am getting the YSL palette. I swap them away as fast as I can, but does anyone but me feel like the palette is overdone? Reviews and some comments seem to think they are great!
Post edited by chris on
I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!

Comments

• michellebellemichellebelle Posts: 447Member
    @Sara me! I've stupidly used the cargo around the world palette exactly once, same with the pur travel palette. I keep my eye makeup pretty simple and prefer a quick swipe with a crayon, followed by eyeliner and mascara. Does anyone want to place bets on whether or not I will use the doucce palette for the first and only time within the next 24 hours? Sigh.
  • sarasara Posts: 3,876Member
    Me too @michellebelle! I have droopy eyelids, and eyeshadow smears. I love eye crayons, especially the waterproof setting ones like Jouer, trish mcevoy, Marc jacobs. I will use a deeper one around my eyelashes, and a lighter one on the lid. But shadow just doesn’t seem to work for me!
  • michellebellemichellebelle Posts: 447Member
    @sara I haven't tried any of those brands but like laura mercier, korres, and even the dirty little secret that came in those nearly free beautycon boxes. I'm guessing you are buying those brands at retail, rather than them being sub box finds?
    I got the Marc Jacobs one in a sub box a few years ago, and jouer came in BOS and birchbox. The trish mcevoy is a dept store brand but they sell online and on HSN at a big discount!
    I just got a Korea and I like it. I’ve never tried the Laura Mercier. I should add “wouldn’t you rather have eye crayons” to the title of this thread, cause I sure would!
  • LisaMarieLisaMarie Posts: 739Member
    I work such crazy hours I never have time to apply make-up. I've been able to gift some but I still cringe when I see a palette, lipstick, eyebrow stuff(in my day we plucked the crap out of em until there was nothing left to apply gel to) or nail polish in one of my sub spoilers.
  • lalalalalala Posts: 1,531Member
    I have that around the world palette and use it almost daily now. At first I didn't, because I really don't like putting on more than mascara, but sub boxes have provided me with so much of it, that I just have to use eyeliner, highlighter and eyeshadow now.

BUT...most of my palettes have been swapped away or given as gifts.
  • GrishmaGrishma Posts: 1,864Member
    I may be the only one who likes palettes lol. Or maybe because I’ve only been subbing for a year so I’m not bored with palettes yet.
    I do gift as well but I like to keep a few palettes of different stuff around. And the singles of makeup stuff that I have, I stick them on a z palette to make my own travel palettes :joy:
    @Elissa I’ve been eyeing that naked heat palette for a while now. Soooo deliciously fiery!
  • ElissaElissa Posts: 462Member
    @grishma yeah, the naked heat is definitely on my want list. Naked 2 is my favorite go-to palette.
    edited December 2
    Your excuse is atleast [email protected] ..... I just say but look sooooo shiny....I gots to haz it :lol:
  • whitpickwhitpick Posts: 1,192Member
    @sara I'm with you. I'm guilty of putting my makeup on in the car on the way to work- mostly at red rights or once I park. I love a crayon. Laura Mercier is a favorite too. Almost everything in my makeup bag is a deluxe travel size too, no room for a big palette!
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,807Member
    @Grishma @Elissa You guys should check out the Yes, Please palette by ColourPop. It's not an exact dupe for Naked Heat, but it's the same idea. And it's 1/3 the price.
    @entwashian oh yes!!!!! It’s a GORGEOUS palette. Gets sold out fast ofcourse, it’s so pretty!
  • entwashianentwashian Posts: 1,807Member
    @Grishma it's funny cause I'm so cool-toned, but I end up reaching for the warm palette more than any other.
  • JackiecupcakeJackiecupcake Posts: 1,133Member
    I love eye shadow palettes, I have so many - but of course only use the same 2 or 3 over and over. Right now I'm using tarte In Bloom, Rainforest or whatever that came in Boxycharm, and the Kitten palette we just got because CATS.

I JUST bought another one because I have no self-control. I can say though, I have zero excitement about the Doucce palette coming from FFF. It looks totally underwhelming.

I think new and fun palettes are fun to get in boxes, but month after month the same colors it get repetitive. Only so many nude palettes one can have at some point.
  • CJ84CJ84 Posts: 268Member
    My palette collection is also borderline obscene, but I luuurve them all and am always excited for another.
  • ElissaElissa Posts: 462Member
    @lisab I wish I did makeup professionally to justify the palettes I have but I don’t
  • LeahLeah Posts: 4,090Member
    I use a palette every day. I purchased all of mine; I don't think any are from sub boxes. I'm still looking for my ultimate eyeshadow formula. I bought Make Up For Ever, thinking that would be it...nope. I bought two Visearts...nope. I bought Lorac Pro 2...nope. Is it too much to ask for my eyeshadow to last for a gazillion hours?
  • CassieBCassieB Posts: 611Member
    Another palette addict here!! I think I have about a dozen in use right now, and at least 3 or 4 unopened and waiting for me :D Also probably getting one or two for Christmas. @Jackiecupcake I'm also loving the Winky Lux one from Boxycharm right now too!
    OK, boxes, I see I am in the minority - but where are the eye crayons some of us adore? Is it because they don't take up as much space in the boxes?

And @chris, i have to ask - why did you change the title of this thread? No big deal, just curious...
  • CheriBCheriB Posts: 11Member
    I don't wear much eye makeup either but would like to experiment (48 years old and just now starting to get into makeup lol!) I'm waiting for a few palettes in my boxes and hopefully someday will get off the boxy charm wait list.
  • JenniferLJenniferL Posts: 472Member
    edited December 3
    I love the IDEA of palettes.I am always incredibly stoked when a box contains a palette, and yet no matter what my eye makeup stash situation is, 99% of the time, I wear the same two shades of eye makeup every day.
  • NyxNyx Posts: 1,561Member
    For me it comes down to ingredients. I like a palette where all the shades work together because I do wear them that way, at least two shades, sometimes three: lashline, lid, inner eye area with a lighter shade to open things up if I'm in the mood. I am surprised by how many shadows still use carmine. I'm allergic so I avoid any palette where any shade has carmine. I can't afford the cross contamination so the whole thing is off limits. I usually swap those away immediately without even removing the bubble wrap to admire the packaging. Tarte is one of the biggest, most routine offenders I've come across so I don't even check the ingredients, they're on my "do not buy or use" list because they haven't cleaned up their act and stopped using crushed bugs as a color. Just no. I have been using Pacifica pretty regularly. It's coconut based, no crushed bugs. I use Physician's Formula blush on my lids as a base for my shadows. So, yeah, I cringe when I see yet another expensive palette coming in the next sub box. Don't need, don't want it, have too many, very specific about what I'll smear on my eyelids. When various subs ask us to rate the box we just got, I always let them know I don't appreciate getting yet another overpriced palette with crushed bugs in it. :)
  • lalalalalala Posts: 1,531Member
    question...how long are you supposed to be able to use an open palette?
  • LeahLeah Posts: 4,090Member
    @Nyx You make my eyeshadow collection sound so appealing ;)

@lalala Supposed to or actually do? :smiley:
  • NyxNyx Posts: 1,561Member
    @Leah - I know, sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!