Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! What do you get your mail carrier for the holidays?

SmarwSmarw Posts: 500Member
I was thinking of just a gift card, because she seriously works hard for my family, but then I read the USPS policy that they cannot accept any gift cards at all or monetary gifts. They can accept an actual gift under RV $20 and that’s it. So... what do I get her???

Comments

• LeahLeah Posts: 4,090Member
    (I'm not trying to hijack, but I just wanted to say hi! I'd actually noticed your absence from the forum recently and hope all is well!)

• KECKEC Posts: 296Member
    edited December 6
    @Smarw My mom gives cash (in a smallish exurb), but I have heard of people giving wine or gift cards. I personally would give a gift card, I guess they can decide to arrest me--also, with wine, maybe they don't drink or like your choice. OR you could even give lottery tickets or movie tickets. Who wouldn't enjoy that?

Sadly I seem to have a different mail carrier every damn day in my new building (major city)! Maybe I will leave a $5 Starbucks card or something, or Lotto ticket. I just moved here.
  • mini2zmini2z Posts: 2,352Member
    So what to get:

USPS / Canada Post
    UPS
    Fed Ex
    @mini2z I am gonna go with movie or lottery tickets.
  • mini2zmini2z Posts: 2,352Member
    @KEC regular mail guy is on vacation and the Canada Post truck guy is grumpy
    UPS well he's been here a LOT because all my doterra ordering
    I'm thinking giftcards for Tim Hortons
    edited December 6
    @mini2z From what I hear, Tim Horton's is as loved as Wawa around here. Go for it!
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,750Member
    My mail carrier retired this week and I left a card and a nice bottle of wine in the box for her. I don't really care if she doesn't drink because anything else I give her she might not use either, and at least you can always regift wine or use if for when you have wine drinkers over.
  • rambletamblerambletamble Posts: 151Member
    edited December 6
    Walmart, Big Lots, Walgreens, CVS and places like that have lots of nice, inexpensive gift sets this time of the year. We seem to have a new mail carrier each year and I usually give a tin of Christmas Cookies from my local grocery store. Last year I found a Christmas Coffee Mug that included a packet of cocoa from Big Lots.
  • SmarwSmarw Posts: 500Member
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! Hi @Leah! I’ve been in and out of town and just super busy. I’m still lurking though.. ;)
  • lovethesnowlovethesnow Posts: 607Member
    I've giving $50 cash. I know they aren't supposed to accept but I've never had anyone return it. I have one main guy and two others I see on occasion. I'm only giving it to the main guy (don't even know his name, sad, I know). I have 14 steps up to my house. With all my boxes this past year and all those steps I wish I could give him $100. I'm thinking of giving him $50 in summer to make it $100 for the year.
  • lalalalalala Posts: 1,531Member
    I give an edible gift. I think I gave a tin of Harry and David Popcorn. I always make sure it's something that fits in the mailbox.
  • EliseElise Posts: 653Member
    Saw this online today, thought it was so cute!

• EliseElise Posts: 653Member
    Oops, didn't read the whole thread, just saw that @Cynthia does the same thing :) What a cute idea, I am sure it's greatly appreciated.
    I racked my brains over this last year...and then didn't give anything :( I had prepared a fancy lotion from a sub box (figured they can use all the help for their hands they can get in this cold weather) and a fancy bar of chocolate from Oui Please, but then I didn't know what else to put in there. And then I found out months later that my amazing, wonderful mail carrier doesn't eat chocolate!
  • LaurenMLaurenM Posts: 41Member
    I always give cash in a Christmas card. My Mailman leaves a postcard with his name and address so I can put his name on it and I make sure I hand it to him. He always accepts it. I also give the sanitation guys tips too bc they come up to my garage which is behind my house. I love the box idea with the water and snacks. So cute!
  • wldflowur13wldflowur13 Posts: 707Member
    I do a giftcard and some sort of small yummy edible gift. One thing I'd recommend though is to give it a week or so before Christmas. Some of the regular delivery folks may be off on or around Christmas, with subs taking their routes. So just want to make sure it gets to the regular delivery guys.
  • chefkristinchefkristin Posts: 2,009Member
    Lately I have one that delivers mail and one that just delivers boxes on the porch. Not sure what to do and I often have a sub.
  • flirtmdflirtmd Posts: 628Member
    @Leah yeah. That photo is from my informed delivery notice. I knew It was coming back. I just kind of hoped when it came to actually putting it into the box for the 3rd time they would see the address or at least the post it covering most of it.

Just remember… "Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes."
    @flirtmd Why do they keep choosing you? Is it some sort of gag? Does it have a homing device that keeps sending it back to you? Try dropping it into a mailbox on the other side of town and see what happens.
  • flirtmdflirtmd Posts: 628Member
    @Leah Now its a game. We are going for 5 deliveries. Our name is neither Carr nor do we live on a street with the word Way on it. We live on a Cul de sac with XXXPointe Ct. our last name is a 3 syllable Italian name. It makes no sense. Must have something to do with the bar code.

Just remember… "Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes."
  • Love2323Love2323 Posts: 684Member
    I’ve never given before but I’ve never had so many sub boxes that even in the rain she put in the carport so I’ve decided I’m going to give a Publix Gift card it’s something she can use for whatever she wants plus I’m given her one of my eye shallo gift card it’s something she can use for whatever she wants plus I’m given her one of my eye shadow pallette Hell she delivers them she may as well enjoy it
    ID: 1481109015524778
  • BritanyLeeBritanyLee Posts: 21Member
    I'm at school/work during the day, so I never see my mail person. But today I left a box of chocolates wrapped in a big bow with a thank you note in my mailbox with the flag up - they left me a note in return! Made me smile
  • rambletamblerambletamble Posts: 151Member
    @flirtmd A couple years ago, I had the same thing happen with a package. I received a man’s order from 1-800 CONTACTS. He lives about 5 minutes away and our names and addresses are totally different. I didn’t want to go to a stranger’s house so I dropped the package off at the post office for them to redeliver it. The next day the package was back on my porch. So, I took a black Sharpie and wrote the name and address on the side of the package and returned it to the post office again. And the next day it was back on my porch again. On my way to work, I spotted a mail truck and gave the package to a mail carrier who ensured me he would make sure the package went to the right house. But, when I went home later tada...contacts again. Finally, I drove to the man’s house and tossed the package over his fence onto his porch.