Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sub Box Item Disappointments

Ashlea321Ashlea321 Posts: 126Member
There are a lot of items that I was meh on initially and then really liked once I used them for a bit. But this morning I was thinking about stuff I was looking forward to that turned out to be a dud.

The thing that started this line of thought was the 9 Lives choker. I like the design and picked out rose gold as that's been a big thing for me lately. But it's so delicate and not far enough off from my skin tone that it's barely visible (and gets no compliments, which is how I tend to gauge jewelry impact.). Should've gone with Silver and I think it would've stood out more.

Comments

• TamaraTamara Posts: 681Member
    The hair wrap from Box of Style... what was it, spring or summer last year? I swapped heavily for one and it did me NO good at ALL. My hair didn't dry any faster or anything.
  • cyclicalconsumercyclicalconsumer Posts: 642Member
    @Ashlea321 I didn’t like that necklace and I have it in silver.
  • SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 1,208Member
    Every mauve lipstick, lol. It's a great neutral on everyone else, but not me. No matter the shade variation, every mauve lipstick looks terrible with my skin tone.
  • lalalalalala Posts: 1,596Member
    @kaleigh89 There are better hair towels, but I do enjoy that one.

I think it's the Lipstick Queen Mornin’ Sunshine from May 2017 PSMH. Everyone was super-excited about it. I should have swapped it away, because I put on lipstick only in the morning. It's far too bright PINK for me, and stays on forever so it's hard to get rid of if it doesn't work. The only thing it was good for was my daughter's dance recital 'makeup.'
  • EliseElise Posts: 665Member
    Tappan collective umbrella from FFF- broke 2nd time I used it.
    Nanette Lepore watch from PSMH - stopped working about 2 weeks after I started wearing it.
    Cage bracelet from FFF - I actually liked this a lot (made me feel like wonder woman while I was wearing it!) but the coating wore off and it turned my arm green
    Circ-cell moisturizer - was really excited to try this brand but it feels just like the old neutrogena one I used to use. Not luxe at all. Dissapointed with this brand.
    gorgana toggle necklace from FFF - so dainty it basically doesnt show up on me, and gets tangled super easily.
  • GlowingAmberGlowingAmber Posts: 354Member
    @Ashlea321 I have that necklace in silver, and I really like it.

My disappointments are usually with makeup items. One in particular is the Lipstick Queen Black Lace Rabbit blush....I'm not sure if I'm too fair for it, or if I just don't know what the heck I'm doing, but I always end up with it looking way too bright.
  • californiajanetcaliforniajanet Posts: 558Member
    The Sisters of Los Angeles Sweet & Sour Glasses. I thought they were really cute, and so just swapped...mostly at over RV in order to account for their shipping costs...for several sets. I've been using them for a couple days. They aren't dishwasher safe, so I've been hand washing them...and just noticed that in spite of the hand washing, the wording on them is already coming off! Then I rubbed my thumb across the wording...and it rubbed off! What a disappointment...in their poor quality, and that I swapped heavily for several sets! :(
  • Em_PEm_P Posts: 1,046Member
    I think my biggest disappointments have been items I swapped for heavily. Thankfully I have been able to swap them out again but still. Like the tocca candles that I turned out to be allergic to or HD bangle that was too small for my man hands.
    But I also went back on the lemon tea towel from psmh. I swapped for it and I thought it was too thin. But then I reached for it in a towel emergency and it was so great I swapped for three more!
  • ankareedaankareeda Posts: 538Member
    @californiajanet That's disappointing. I have a set coming today. Is the ombre part stable or is that painted on also? I can deal with the letters coming off, but I love the color.
  • BritanyLeeBritanyLee Posts: 50Member
    @GlowingAmber I had the same problem with the black lace rabbit blush! I've figured out if I use one finger and do one swipe across the blush it's perfect for each cheek if I really blend it in. And putting finishing powder on top helps mellow it out.

I'm always disappointed in mascaras. I want to like them, but I feel like there's always something I don't like about each one when I compare to my favorite (original CoverGirl last blast lol)
  • bizgirlvabizgirlva Posts: 243Member
    Almost every jewelry item I get from sub boxes tarnishes or wears so poorly I've opted to give or swap almost all of those items away.
  • californiajanetcaliforniajanet Posts: 558Member
    @ankareeda The ombre part is stable/not painted on...but to be honest in real life they don't look very ombre/look more one color, and the color is more gray than they look in the photo. I do like them, but am bummed about the writing coming off..and so soon! I actually took the one that was most wiped off and put in in the dishwasher, and will see what that does. I'd rather have it with no writing at all than smudges...
  • ankareedaankareeda Posts: 538Member
    @californiajanet Darn! I was hoping that the letters came off smoothly and the ombre was dramatic. Oh well... Thanks for letting me know.
  • V_Muller2V_Muller2 Posts: 421Member
    Oh man I just swapped for that necklace @Ashlea321 @cyclicalconsumer after debating for awhile if it was worth it since I rarely wear silver and I didn’t know if it was a quality item. I haven’t tried it on yet but thought the design was nice and like nothing that I own
  • GlowingAmberGlowingAmber Posts: 354Member
    @V_Muller2 I mentioned also that I have the necklace in silver, and I really like it. I've worn it a handful of times, and haven't had any issues with quality.
    That’s good to know and a relief especially after just receiving it this week from a swap. Thanks for letting me know @GlowingAmber
  • JackiecupcakeJackiecupcake Posts: 1,295Member
    The Dr. Brandt face wash! I heard so many good things about it, and people were talking it up so much - and when I got it I completely broke out from it.

Also the blanket scarf from FFF. I got an editors box just for the scarf and it wound up being way too big and thick for Florida. I swapped it and then felt like an idiot because shipping was so high.

I haven't worn by 9 Lives choker, but I have a feeling it won't be a frequently worn item (I also have no idea where it is...).
  • SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 1,208Member
    @V_Muller2 I agree that the Cambridge satchel was way too tiny and too hard to open. I was also disappointed by the Pehr throw because it was smaller than I expected and I didn’t think it was warm, which is much needed here in Chicago. I ended up swapping it used for below RV and paid to have it professionally cleaned before shipping it (not that I got it dirty, but seemed appropriate to do). I later bought a Massi blanket on sale because all the hype here, but I haven’t been disappointed with it.

I think I’m also disappointed in myself every now and then when I swap something heavier without thinking if it’s worth the cost of shipping. I also regret swapping for certain skincare products that are no longer relevant to my skincare needs since I started seeing a dermatologist; now, I need something really moisturizing, when I had previously swapped for mattifying lotions.
  • susieqsusieq Posts: 8Member
    All of the FFF jewelry seems to be a big let down along with their big piece of material hero item...I was an annual member with 1 editor box and I now have so big pieces of fabric.... along with their other usual exfoliator, cup and cheap jewelry.
  • kaleigh89kaleigh89 Posts: 264Member
    @Jackiecupcake I think the Dr. Brandt face wash is really dependent on your skin if you'll like it. I love it, but my husband tried just a bit on the side of his nose and the next day that spot was so dry and scaly, it took days to get back to normal.
  • TamaraTamara Posts: 681Member
    @V_Muller2 @SamanthaL About the Cambridge satchel - although it IS kind of small, opening and closing it several times should make it easier to open. I struggled to open mine at first, but after doing that two or three times, it opens reasonably easily now.
  • Em_PEm_P Posts: 1,046Member
    I actually love the Cambridge satchel, but it took about a week to loosen up. It’s a favorite for me - works great for a night out when I want to be more business than party, but still have some flair.
    Lots of the RZ bags though don’t work for me.
    edited January 12
    @Em_P @Tamara I’ve not used it and it is still in my closet. I should maybe bust it out. Thanks
  • ApollosMomApollosMom Posts: 10Member
    I got the cambridge satchel in a trade and I love it! I found that it loosened up easily and it is so cute. But I like to wear a small bag as a crossbody. I get a ton of compliments when I use it and it goes with almost everything.
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,921Member
    The deal breaker for me with the satchel was that my phone didn't fit. Otherwise I definitely would have kept it.
  • HappyCatHappyCat Posts: 1,499Member
    Cage bracelet from FFF - was to big for me.
    The art kit from FFF - I paid the extra $10 for and was so disappointed I would have canceled FFF that month if not for the fact I was an annual. Of course FFF eventually made up for it big time with their amazing boxes and they are now forgiven.
    The Fringe Tote Bag / Handbag by Summer & Rose - It was an add on I talked myself out of and then they added a compact to the set and bought it for $40. I got the bag didn't like, and haven't been able to swap it, it seems like no one else likes because I never got any realistic offers for it.
    Red hand bag Popsugar
    8x 4th of july polishes as a replacement from Popsugar for the incorrectly themed fall box items. The irony of replacing two items not in the theme with 1 item that isn't in the theme. I don't trust shady Popsugar at this point and it helped me pass up the black friday Popsugar and will keep me from every buying an unspoiled Popsugar surprise.
    A 2 ring set from FFF- If you get them wet they tarnish. I think it was a Summer & Rose item, I think I will not buy anymore of their add ons getting burnt by 2 products this last time.
  • SneakertreeSneakertree Posts: 466Member
    @HappyCat I forgot about that dollar store art kit!! It was so bad I threw it in back of the closet and pretty sure didn't even bother to put it up on swap. They learned their lesson for the next box and spoil add on choices so I'm glad I stuck it out.

That plastic red bag made me cancel. I swapped the whole box and stick to the Popsugar mystery boxes now.