Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I shed more than your pets - help!

SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 1,208Member
I have thin, medium length hair, and I'm pretty sure I shed more than any pet I've ever known. Sorry for being gross, but my hair can and has clogged vacuums, especially by the bristles, because I think they're simply not built for the purpose of picking up relatively long hair. Swiffer does a decent job, but I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has an equally bad shedding problem and has any tips for keeping your floors relatively clean. Please help! Thanks!

Comments

• californiajanetcaliforniajanet Posts: 560Member
    @SamanthaL while I don't have tips to help keep your floors cleaner, I have something that could possibly help with the shedding...have you tried taking a Biotin supplement? It helps to strengthen hair/less "shedding." I noticed a big difference when I started taking it...then over the summer when our schedules were off and I was travelling and I typically forgot to take it, I started shedding more. I'm back on it, and the shedding is decreased. Worth a try!
  • SamanthaLSamanthaL Posts: 1,208Member
    @californiajanet Thank you for the tip, but I went through an entire bottle of Biotin and didn't notice a difference. I just checked, and there's Biotin in my daily multivitamin as well.
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,923Member
    @SamanthaL I don't shed a ton but I have very long hair that's curly and a bit coarse which can gradually jam up my vacuum so I use scissors to cut out the hair that wraps around the bristles. Gross but effective. I have a bagless cyclone vacuum and empty the dirt chamber after every use so it doesn't get too full. For the wood floors I use a microfiber dust mop and a broom.
  • GrishmaGrishma Posts: 2,488Member
    L’Oréal clay cleanser, Pantene foam conditioner and biotin supplements. Changed my life (and increased my vacuum’s lifespan). My bald spot is almost invisible now. #truestory @SamanthaL
    @boxjoy Do you find that the microfiber dust mop picks up hair better than a Swiffer?
    And if nothing works, combine the above with rogaine (takes atleast 2 months to see any effect).

Ruler straight, fine, thin hair here.
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 2,923Member
    @SamanthaL I think so but I also like it because it's large and swivels well making it very quick and easy for large spaces. I still just use the broom for small areas.
    @boxjoy is right. Microfiber dust mop does pick up more than swiffer. @SamanthaL
    I use the portable stick dyson on the carpeted areas and it used to fill up every 5mins before I got on my hair regimen. In the early days my husband used to joke that maybe we had a dog and he just didn’t know about it. He soon learnt that’s mean after I pretend to sulk and dry sob for hours.
    It’s important to know your scalp type to figure out your hair regimen though. Sephora consultation might be of help.
  • sarasara Posts: 4,228Member
    I second the biotin. A few years ago I was on a diet and my hair started falling out. I went to the doctor who recommended biotin and it made a huge difference. In my nails, too. You need a hefty dose- the amount in the multi vitamin isn’t enough. I take the melt aways. I can totally notice the difference. It might be age related for me, @SamanthaL, you may be noticing something else. I would also note, if you don’t wash your hair every day, more seems to fall out only because you aren’t washing as much down the drain- so there’s more around the house
    I would love to swap- ask me for my profile!
    I've always shed a lot, but I do think it's increased in adulthood from work-related stress. I do use shampoo prescribed by the dermatologist to help with dandruff and itchy scalp, which has at least helped me stop having to scratch my head, which I'm sure made more of my hair fall out. It sounds like I should get a microfiber mop and some more biotin! Thank you for the tips, everyone!
  • cyclicalconsumercyclicalconsumer Posts: 666Member
    edited January 12
    @SamanthaL I shed and have long hair and so does
    my son he has the hair all women would die for. I buy these giant pet lint rollers an they have refills too. I have a dog that sheds which was why I purchased it originally.
    https://www.target.com/p/evercare-pet-mega-floor-lint-roller-25-sheets/-/A-14753619
  • JackiecupcakeJackiecupcake Posts: 1,301Member
    I have long, thick, wavy hair and I have to dust bust my bathroom every 3-4 days. It's absurd.

That's my suggestion for cleaning though, dust busting if you have tile anywhere. It's much easier to just open it and toss the hair out rather than sitting down and pulling apart your vacuum (which I have done before!).

Thanks for the suggestion of a thread cutter @Katie - I will definitely be using that next time I have to vacuum.