As I was reading through comments from some of the latest postings, I saw quite a few new MSA members who were just accepted off the SWAP waitlist but had no idea how to start swapping. The forum has lots of great information, but can be quite overwhelming for newcomers to navigate. So I thought I'll put together a simple guide to swapping!
Tips, advice, additions welcome! I can update this tutorial / guide as more tips come in, feel free to comment below or PM me.
SWAP 101 - How to request a swap!
Whether you are new to subscription boxes or if you've finally found time to list your stash, welcome to swap! MSA has a really vibrant swap community, and you'll likely make new friends during your swap adventures 1. Login to your account
Firstly, log in to your account through the MSA homepage
Your account details and Swap dashboard
can be accessed from the right side of the menu bar.2. SWAPS listing page
Now, go to the main SWAPS listing page
- You will see a search
option on the top right, click on it and the search box opens up. You can type in subscription box/brand/product names or any keyword here!
- Or if you are browsing for ideas, you can select one of the categories3. EXAMPLE: Searching for Sunday Riley C.E.O. Rapid Flash Brightening Serum
Let's use an actual example! Say you are looking to swap for the Sunday Riley C.E.O. Rapid Flash Brightening Serum
- Type in "Sunday Riley" in the search box
- The page will refresh, showing you a list of all Sunday Riley items
- Move your mouse over the item you are interested in (e.g. CEO serum), a "Learn More" button will appear
- Click on the Learn More button
- The page will refresh, taking you to the actual item page for the Sunday Riley C.E.O. Rapid Flash Brightening Serum
Now you have 3 options:
1. View Listings - to see a full list of items up for swap
2. Follow It - think of this as your Favorits folder
where you can track items you are interested in, and maybe will like to swap for at some point!
3. List It - for listing an item up for swap, we will cover LISTING ITEMS FOR SWAP another time
Now, click on VIEW LISTINGS
- The page will take a few secs to load, then show a list of ALL items available for swap! In this case, there are 48 Sunday Riley serums available
- You can sort the results based on 5 categories:
1. Highest Rated - based on swapper's rating
2. Most Experienced - based on swapper's total # of swaps
3. Closest - based on swapper's location to your location (e.g. I am based in Mountain View,CA . So the closest swapper is in Palo Alto, CA)
4. Favorites - if you have previously "Followed" another swapper, their results will show up first!
5. For Sale - if someone is selling your item on eBay, the eBay listing will show up here
There's no rules for the best way to sort results - it's up to you! Swapping with someone closer by can be cheaper (save on shipping/postage) and faster delivery, swapping with someone with more experience may be more comforting as a newcomer. It's up to you!
In this case, my closest swapper LEAH is also following one of my listing!
- Click on VIEW MATCHING ITEMS
to show a list of items, in this example Leah is following my Tarte Amazon blush.
- Before I start a swap, I'll read the "Extra Information" section to see if there's anything I should know.
In this example, Leah has stated she is ONLY swapping for her dream /unicorn item - the Kendra bracelet! So unless I have the bracelet, I will probably choose NOT to send a swap request since that's not what she is looking for.
- Look down the list for other swappers with Matching Items
. I found Lauren, who is following my Modern Alchemy candle. If I'm open to swapping the candle, I can now click on the START SWAP button
- The page will refresh, taking you to the Ready to Start the Swap?
page. Now, you can either go straight ahead and start a swap, or you can click on +Add More Items
button to select more items from the swapper4. Adding more items to a swap
- After you click on the +Add More Items
button, a section will appear on the page with all of the swappers' available listings!
- You can either scroll down and look through all of the listings, or you may see another option to View Matching Items
. If you click on this link, you will now see a smaller list of items. These are items that you have Followed
- To get back to viewing all of the swapper's listing, you can click the Back to all other listings
- At this point, I can choose to add more items to the swap (example: Nima Oberoi vase + Peony Candle)
- Once you have added all the items you'll like to swap for, click the Start Swap
To be continued below ⬇️