Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxor box- do you recommend it?

Kc12Kc12 Posts: 139Member
I wanted to get feedback from ppl who have subbed to the Luxor box. What are the pros and cons? Would you recommend it?

Comments

• LeahLeah Posts: 4,561Member
    Look at the reviews from the past year or two and see what you think.
  • AnninVAAnninVA Posts: 536Member
    It’s a matter of opinion. I got the last two boxes and liked them. I recommend looking at the reviews on MSA to see if they would appeal to you. For the last two or three boxes the spoiler item took up most of the overall box value. For this reason it would be safer to not buy an annual subscription and instead buy single boxes if you like the box spoiler.
  • missycat928missycat928 Posts: 1,201Member
    In a word: NO. I don't trust them anymore. I've been a subscriber since the second box and am VERY worried that they won't last for the remainder of my current annual. So sad to see the way they are operating, because I used to be their biggest cheerleader. So many reasons for my feeling this way, but I'll let you do your own research and make your own decisions.

• chefkristinchefkristin Posts: 2,285Member
    This used to be an amazing box but has gone downhill fast!
  • Jenny1973Jenny1973 Posts: 1,000Member
    edited February 13
    Their first box was ok and then it got really good and now......Well this last box was a bust. Just hoping I get my final 4 boxes.

Oops grammer error!
  • Kc12Kc12 Posts: 139Member
    I’ve only purchased one box when they had leftovers and it wouldn’t start an ongoing subscription. I really liked it but they don’t seem to come up much. The $450 limited edition ones are just too big of a gamble. Do people buy a box then cancel or do you have to prepay an annual?
  • ChristineCChristineC Posts: 53Member
    I have received the last 5 boxes with 1 left on my annual. I received a beautiful black leather tote bag as a GWP of the annual sub. I have been generally happy with the contents if the boxes and whatever I don't like has made great Christmas and birthday gifts. I also purchased 3 one off boxes, including the March, 2017 box, Luxor Black, and Best of the Best, which I was very happy with!
  • nelliebelle1197nelliebelle1197 Posts: 3,063Member
    edited February 13
    You might like it, @Kc12 , but many of us who have been around since the first year - or in some cases, first box- have noticed a massive decline in quality over the last year. The price has gone up but the boxes have declined. @Ann and @vanstoj have been subbing forever. I think Ann canceled and I know vanstoj has been disappointed a lot!
  • nelliebelle1197nelliebelle1197 Posts: 3,063Member
    @missycat928 I agree - do you remember them ever doing GWP like they do now? Or pushing pay up front annuals?
  • missycat928missycat928 Posts: 1,201Member
    @nelliebelle1197 - between the GWP offers, the fact that no other blog has reviewed them since 2016, the Facebook and Instagram pages being oddly spotless, the rise in makeup and skincare - sheesh... I’m scared :#
  • AnninVAAnninVA Posts: 536Member
    @Kc12 Yes you can buy a box and then cancel the subscription before being charged for the next box.
  • mimiretzmimiretz Posts: 643Member
    I subscribed for about 1.5 years and was mostly pleased with what I got. I finally cancelled two or three boxes ago when they changed their billing and/or shipping dates so I was being billed for a box before receiving the previous box, and way before any spoilers came out. It concerned me as it seemed a possible indicator they were running short of funds, and I didn't like not having any spoilers for a relatively expensive box.
  • Em_PEm_P Posts: 1,105Member
    I cancelled after the nov box. Glad I did. It was becoming too skincare heavy and unreliable.
    The only thing I had FOMO about were the glasses, and I managed to swap for those :)
  • vanstojvanstoj Posts: 305Member
    @nelliebelle1197 , you are right. I have been subscribed since the first box. I am locked in at the $95 rate and so I have continued on. There are things I have loved in the box and things that were a total bust. The pros are the box usuLy has high end brands though recently some of the skin care has been eh. They sometimes include items you don't see in other boxes (Christmas items, metal ice cubes, pumpkin and the presentation is beautiful. Cons are they constantly repeat brands and items, skincare has become a larger part of the box, they have an awful shipping policy and they have started to inflate RVs. I think the box is generally worth the $95 I pay but not the $140 a new subscriber would pay.
  • ChristineCChristineC Posts: 53Member
    @vanstoj I only have 1 left on my annual and I am trying to decide if I want to do another annual. I would never let it go at $95/box! I wish I knew about sub boxes years ago!
  • ElissaElissa Posts: 520Member
    As others have mentioned, the quality has gone down considerably. I think I have one box left on my annual and then I’m done with them.
  • AlyssaAlyssa Posts: 50Member
    You all seem like the right crowd to ask. What do you recommend as a good box alternative? I feel like there was a thread about this but now I can’t find it. I’m thinking something like Breo but a women’s box that includes home decor and jewelry. Chocolate does hurt either.
  • ElissaElissa Posts: 520Member
    @alyssa Previously I would have suggested Oui please, but they have been sucking something fierce lately.
  • paigepaige Posts: 462Member
    I bought a mystery box from them once but it had spoilers that included both a 1951 and a Ripauste bag and belt set, that pretty much for me justified the cost. I don't think I would want a regular sub from them based on the reviews I have seen lately.
  • SneakertreeSneakertree Posts: 727Member
    @Ann funny you mention RV I opened this thread and got distracted looked down at the comments and thought it was about Robb Vices!
  • boxjoyboxjoy Posts: 3,151Member
    @Alyssa Sundae Home is worth taking a look at although you won't see jewelry or chocolate in it. MSA doesn't review them but you'll see threads on the forum with spoilers. The new Popsugar Quarterly starting this summer may also be of interest but I expect you'll see more fashion and snacks from them than you will home items.
  • AlyssaAlyssa Posts: 50Member
    Thanks @boxjoy! Sundae Home looks awesome.
    @Elissa, I had been watching Oui Please, especially with the les nereides and when I actually thought I'd subscribe the reviews started to go downhill.
    @paige That mystery box sounds perfect. If only they could all be that good!