Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite simple recipe?

TheDuchessTheDuchess Posts: 490Member
I have a dear friend who does not know how to cook at all. She either makes sandwiches or eats out. For her birthday, I want to make her a recipe book (hello free Shutterfly photo book from the grocery store monopoly) with simple, easy recipes, as well as a crockpot with basic spices. She is in law school with me so I mainly want to do crockpot recipes that she can set and forget! I currently have a chicken enchilada chili recipe that I have made before that she loves, and a pot roast that is to die for. I would love to know your go-to crockpot recipes or just simple recipes in general!

• allisenallisen Posts: 195Member
    Cover 2 chicken breasts with one can of enchilada sauce or salsa. Set on low in crock pot all day. When you get home, shred chicken with two forks and toss in the sauce. Make tacos
  • magoosmommagoosmom Posts: 299Member
    I've also seen chicken breasts with salsa in the crockpot and then do tacos. One recipe calls for adding some cream cheese for a different flavor.

I'll be stalking, er, watching this thread as I am the world's laziest cook.
  • NightshiftNightshift Posts: 2,253Member

Those are two of my favortes. I’m also a BIG fan of crockpot chicken soup:

1 whole chicken
    Celery, onion, carrot, garlic (or your favorite soup veggies)
    Salt, pepper and your favorite condiments (I like bay leaves, lemon juice, some turmeric, and ground ginger)
    Enough water to fill the pot
    Set and forget. The longer you let it cook, the better it tastes. I let a pot cook for 24 hours once when I was sick and and just ate out of it continuously. The last bowl was possibly even more delicious than the first
  • reneewreneew Posts: 1,002Member
    My law school roommate and I pretty much lived on black beans. She made a veggie chili that was great for two days, but you really shouldn't leave it on low for three. Beans, onions, garlic, peppers, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Water and canned tomatoes to cover the other stuff by a couple inches. Cook on low until done. Sour cream and cheese on top.
  • PinkFreudPinkFreud Posts: 243Member
    edited March 13
    Ok, this a true beginner recipe. I used to fix this in my very early 20's before I learned how to really cook, but it's pretty tasty (and cheap), so I still make it a couple of times a year when I'm hungry and lazy! :p

Open a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of decent tuna. Mix together in a small saucepan. I also usually add a 4 oz. can of mushroom stems and pieces (optional), along with a dash of garlic powder (not garlic salt!) and a dash or two of black pepper. Add a little milk to thin it, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Slowly heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Toast two slices of bread. I like white bread for this, because we're not pretending that this is healthy! If you want to be extra, make two slices of cheese toast.

Top the toast with half of the tuna/soup mixture, saving the rest for another meal. Basically, this is Tuna S*it on a Shingle. Enjoy!
  • GlowingAmberGlowingAmber Posts: 565Member
    Pulled pork tacos

1 2lb pork loin
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 cup of water
    Squeeze the juice from 2 limes
    Crock pot on low for 6 hours

Shred meat, shove it in a tortilla, top with cheese (queso fresco is yummy), cilantro, avocado and more lime juice. Tacos for days
  • BritanyLeeBritanyLee Posts: 60Member
    Basic Fried Rice
    Serves ~4

-1 c. rice
    -2 c. water
    Add rice and water to rice cooker and cook (or on the stove if you know how to not burn it. I don't lol lol

-1 bag frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots, corn. Like $1 at Smith's)
    -2 T. butter (or coconut oil)
    -2 eggs (optional)
    -1/4 c. soy sauce
    -1 t. ginger powder
    -1 t. garlic powder
    -1 t. sambal oelek or sriracha
    -1 bunch of green onions (for garnish)

While rice cooks, cook veggies and butter in a big frying pan or wok over medium heat for about 15 min. While veggies cook, slice the green onions and set to the side. Scoot veggies to the side, and add both eggs. Scramble the eggs until cooked. Add soy, ginger, garlic, and chili paste and mix everything together. Once rice is cooked, scoop rice into the pan and mix well. Dish out, and top with green onions.

I usually keep ingredients for this on hand, and it's easy to make vegan and/or gluten free! You could also add toasted sesame seeds, ham, chicken, spam, shrimp... get crazy :)
  • KellybeeKellybee Posts: 74Member
    Awesome easy pork roast

1 pork roast tenderloin
    Red or golden potatoes
    Baby Carrots
    Jar of green olives

Cut potatoes to desired size
    Pour in some carrots (half of a small bag of baby carrots)
    Place roast on top
    Add enough water to cover the potatoes and carrots
    Add several green olives and pour a little olive juice over the roast

Slow cook on high for 5 hours

***The green olives may sound weird at first, but they add the best flavor ever!
  • skyflowerskyflower Posts: 29Member
    I recommend an instant pot (especially if you can get it on sale). Pressure cooker with slow cooker and saute functions. There's Facebook groups as well. Hard boiled eggs and one pot pasta are my go-tos, it's like getting a Crock-Pot for dump and go meals, but food is done in about an hour instead of hours.
  • michellewmichellew Posts: 64Member
    Line the bottom of a pie pan with cooked Stovetop stuffing {any kind} cover with shredded cooked chicken { I use rotisserie} and cover with cream of mushroom soup. Heat in the oven until bubbly and serve with garlic bread. Yummy!!
  • michellewmichellew Posts: 64Member
    Take an english muffin cover with tuna {mixed with mayo etc like for a sandwich} and add a slice of cheese. Bake until the cheese melts. Can you tell I am single, lazy and I don't like to cook??
  • JackiecupcakeJackiecupcake Posts: 1,589Member
    Quesadilla's are super easy, quick, and filling.

Buy pre-shredded chicken (or a rotisserie chicken and shred it, but that's time consuming), shredded Mexican cheese, and tortilla's.

Turn on stove to medium, put a sautee pan on the stove with a little butter. Butter your tortilla, and put it on the pan once the other butter has melted and sprinkle cheese and chicken on half the tortilla. Let the cheese melt for about a minute, and then fold it. Let it cook for another minute, and then flip it. Cook another minute, and then BAM. Delicious dinner.

If you are very fancy you can cook some peppers and/or onion and sautee those then put them with the chicken/cheese. Dip it in guac, salsa, or sour cream. Also a side of chips and salsa. Eat chips and salsa until you feel sick.
  • beachcomberjessbeachcomberjess Posts: 26Member
    This pasta recipe is really easy and super flavorful. It’s not a crockpot/instant pot recipe but it’s just a few simple pantry ingredients and doesn’t take much time or effort.
  • meowsicatmeowsicat Posts: 748Member
    Crockpot crack chicken-

2 lbs chicken breasts, 2 cream cheese bars (8 oz ea), 2 packets dry Ranch dressing. Place it all in crockpot, set it on low for 6 hours, when time is up, shred chicken with 2 forks and voila! Makes a great dip for chips, load it on buns for sandwiches, steam some minute rice and serve over that...the possibilities are endless.

5 Cup dessert - needs 1 cup of each ingredient

shredded coconut, shredded pineapple, mini marshmallows, mandarin oranges and sour cream. Drain fruit first (you can add white wine or moscato to it and drink after slaving over this dessert lol) and dump it in a large mixing bowl. Add coconut, marshmallows and sour cream. Stir and refrigerate until you are ready to eat.
  • meowsicatmeowsicat Posts: 748Member
    Also easy mushroom pasta meal -

1 large can cream mushroom soup, 1 lb ground beef & your choice of pasta (I like penne).

Brown the beef, drain the fat and add the soup. When it bubbles, add the cooked pasta and mix thoroughly. Serve up in bowls or on plates. For a little "extra" sprinkle some grated or shredded parmesan romano and/or parsley on top.
  • pdxgirlpdxgirl Posts: 20Member
    Avocado Salad ...AKA...the best salad ever:

2 avocados cubed
    1/4 cup cilantro
    1 English cucumber cubed
    Juice of 1 medium lemon
    A few green onions chopped
    1 lb roma tomatoes chopped
    Sea salt and black pepper to taste
    At least 2 tablespoons of olive oil
    Splash of your favorite vinegar (balsamic, red wine, etc.)

Mix it all up in a bowl!
  • paigepaige Posts: 475Member
    Crockpot Italian Hot Beef Sandwiches
    Put in crockpot 1 chuck roast, 1 jar un-drained pepperoncini peppers, 1-2 envelopes dry au jus gravy mix. Don’t add any other liquid. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred meat with forks. Serve on sub rolls with mozzarella cheese. I put the meat & cheese in the roll and wrap in foil and heat in the oven til the cheese melts.
  • chefkristinchefkristin Posts: 2,334Member
    @paige I love those sandwiches! I broil them in the oven never thought to wrap and warm them!
    @chefkristin You just can’t beat three ingredients in the crockpot! Plus it will feed a small horde of people.
  • michellebellemichellebelle Posts: 642Member
    Easy and fantastic Greek chicken and orzo, we use only smart chicken and only cavanders Greek seasoning. Marinate chicken breasts or thighs in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, juice of half a lemon, 2 cloves minced garlic, a teaspoon oregano and 2 teaspoon of Greek seasoning for a half hour to 24 hours. Grill or broil. Prepare a cup of orzo pasta according to directions and drain. Add a tablespoon of butter, a container of crumbled feta, a can of sliced black olives and Greek seasoning to taste. Fabulous meal!
    Poppyseed Chicken - Cube 3 raw chicken breasts in the bottom of a casserole or pyrex dish. Mix 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can cream of mushroom soup & 1 8 oz container sour cream and pour over. Top with 1 sleeve of Ritz cracker crumbs and 1 stick of melted butter and sprinkle with poppyseeds. Bake @ 375 for about 45 minutes. Admittedly super Southern & not terribly healthy.

Parmesan Chicken - Slice raw chicken breasts lengthwise to create two thinner cutlets. Dip in beaten egg and coat with Italian breadcrumbs. Fry til crust forms & browns in olive oil. Put in a casserole dish, top with spaghetti sauce then mozzarella and a sprinkly of parmesan. Bake til cheese is golden & bubbly. Serve over cooked pasta of choice.
  • LuminousSoulLuminousSoul Posts: 132Member
    Grilled cheese on sourdough. *mic drop* Or one grilled cheese sandwich and a salad kit salad from costco cuz that mediterranean salad they have is delicioussss and takes 1 minute to assemble.
  • VerkatertFinaVerkatertFina Posts: 3,648Member
    @LuminousSoul have you watched the movie “Chef”?

Buy a big box of food and watch it. You’ll know in an hour why I asked you to buy a box of food ;)
  • LuminousSoulLuminousSoul Posts: 132Member
    I feel like this is a trick. I do have my degustabox just sitting here still packed so I’m tempted to give it a go...
  • VerkatertFinaVerkatertFina Posts: 3,648Member
    @LuminousSoul you’re welcome ;) he even has a YouTube link of grilled cheese. Hmmmmmmmm
  • DonnaDonna Posts: 552Member
    Buy a box of Shake N Bake for pork. Bake pork chops according to the instructions on the Shake N Bake box (they bake in 15-20 minutes).

Microwave a baked potato.

Microwave frozen veggies of your choice.
  • CaitieLouCaitieLou Posts: 772Member

Crock Pot Cinnamon Almonds. Unnnnggggh sooo good!!! Like when you're at the fair, or walking through the mall - and you smell those amazing cinnamon sugar almonds they make fresh and sell - its those. But so much better because you made them yourself and it's cheaper and your whole house smells like you could eat it and I'm making cinnamon almonds now.

They make good Christmas gifts for your family too ;)
  • AarjullorAarjullor Posts: 33Member
    Beef stew
    Preheat oven to 350 if using a Dutch oven or crockpot on low
    Spray inside of cooking vessel with nonstick spray
    Dump in 1 15oz can tomato sauce, 1 packet onion soup mix, stir
    Add 3lb cubed stew meat(salt and pepper meat to taste)
    1-1/2lb bag baby potatoes, 1lb bag baby carrots, 1 large onion sliced
    1 8oz package of fresh sliced mushrooms, stir all to coat in sauce.
    Cook for 2.5 hours in the oven or 8-10 in crockpot without stirring or lifting the lid.