Affirmations + Warm Fuzzies

Sometimes we all need a little pick-me-up, so I thought it might be nice to start a thread where we can share things that are motivational, inspirational, or just plain nice.

I’ll start with a quote from the lovely, hilarious, and charming Mindy Kaling:

I’m giving you permission to root for yourself and while you’re at it root for those around you, too

For me, this is a great reminder that it’s okay to want great things for yourself, and that we can lift each other up on our way to the top. It’s not necessary to push others down in order to succeed, and achievements are so much sweeter when we can feel good about how we got there.

Here’s another one I like from Roald Dahl:

If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.

As someone who leans heavily on actives in skincare that promise to keep my skin looking youthful and glowy, its good for me to remember that no facial or skin treatment has ever made me look as great as a good mood. My favorite photos of myself are all candids that have been snapped in a moment of joy. Dahl gets it: nothing makes you shine as brightly as happiness.

Do you have a favorite quote or affirmation? Want to share something warm and fuzzy with your forum friends? Drop it here!

1 Like

Here is my warm fuzzy: the story of how I learned about warm fuzzies. I spent three years working for summer camps (two as a counselor, one in the admin building). One year was at a camp in Alaska and the other two were at a girl scout camp just outside of DC in northern Virginia, and both were ran by the same camp director. I learned about warm fuzzies from her. At the beginning of each camp session we would tell the story, involving a witch who would make lotions and potions and she was mean because the town was mean to her until these two kids were nice to her and poof! Warm fuzzies! They’re magic (I’m paraphrasing because it’s been 5+ years since I’ve heard the story at this point). But we had actual warm fuzzies (little Pom Pom fuzzy balls usually used in crafts) that we would then give to the kids throughout the week when we saw them be kind to other kids, and they would give them to others if a kid was sad or having a bad day. I still have a few warm fuzzies that I keep in my lock box along with important documents like my social security card and birth certificate!

4 Likes

Oh my goodness, I love this so much!! And you still have a few of them? :star_struck: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes! I’ll try to grab a photo later

1 Like

What a fabulous idea!

I am a big fan of Winnie The Pooh. “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

4 Likes

One of my favorites!!

2 Likes

Hi, all! New here. :raising_hand_woman:t2: Thanks for mentioning the forums, @Kate.Kemp! I had no idea this hidden treasure existed.

Here’s my warm and fuzzy (It’s actually more of an act that brings about warm fuzzies; no words of affirmation in my post. I hope that’s okay.)…

Some of my favorite candies are the gummy orange slices coated with sugar. Not only do they taste yummy, they bring back happy memories of both my paternal and maternal grandmothers. :relaxed: They loved them and always seemed to have an endless supply. :tangerine::tangerine::tangerine:

After realizing that orange slices reminded nearly ALL of my coworkers of their grandmothers too, I used to make it a point to always have a full jar of orange candy slices on my desk to share with coworkers or anyone walking by. The smile on passerby’s faces as they shared a story about their grandmother(s) while savoring those slices was priceless. Their warm fuzzies, gave me warm fuzzies. (Looking back, I should have labeled my candy jar, “free warm fuzzies”. :laughing:)

Unfortunately, shared candy jars, meals, and potlucks are a thing of the past (pre-covid precautions) right now at work. Hopefully I can bring out my jar again soon! :heart:

3 Likes

I love this story!! And I love those candies! LOL

My great aunt always had those ones that were hard strawberry flavored candies with a bit of strawberry jelly in the center. To this day, just seeing them makes me smile!

a914dbc3f13e1f1c-cnjN-Cv4-large

1 Like

This is SUCH an incredible warm fuzzy! Thanks for sharing this story, and welcome to the forum! I’d never thought about it before, but you’re absolutely right. Those orange slice candies are so comforting. They’re like sugared little hugs.

hug-me-heart-candy

2 Likes

Oooh! These too! And those hard white ones with a red or green stripe across the middle.

1 Like

I was hoping to find the orange slices individually wrapped so they’d be covid safe but I couldn’t find them on Amazon, anyway.

But I found these. They look cheery & yummy and now I need them! LOL

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I never thought to look for individually wrapped ones. :heart:

1 Like

Awww. These strawberry candies remind me of my dad. He used to get these at Christmas.

1 Like