Book Corner: What's everyone reading?

The library is probably one of my favorite places :books:

I usually alternate between reading 3 books at a time, what’s currently on my nightstand:

Three Women by Lisa Taddeo (She’s an incredible writer, it’s hard to put into words her talent)

• Serving the Servant: Remembering Kurt Cobain by Danny Goldberg (my 90s obsession runs deep)
  • Ageless Beauty the French Way: Secrets from Three Generations of French Beauty Editors by Clemence von Mueffling
1 Like

I’ve always loved books!

I remember when I was a senior in high school I asked my mom for a book about Kurt Cobain. She said NO. LOL So one school day, during lunch break, my friend and I raced to the mall and I bought that Kurt Cobain book anyway!!

It doesn’t sound like much of a rebellion but I was not a rebellious kid. So that was a big deal for me! @April-MSA thanks for bringing back that fun memory!

As for what I’m reading now, I too have numerous books going. I’m trying to read “Wuthering Heights,” because it reminds me of a friend, but I hated it in high school so we’ll see if I make it through.

But I’m really enjoying
Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future, Vance, Ashlee, eBook - Amazon.com) He’s been my idol for years!! I find him so inspiring; especially since I started my own business.

2 Likes

Ah, I love this, Kate! My mom had many mixed feelings about my music listening; she was always like, “What’s going on with that Courtney Love” :rofl: I don’t know if you enjoy Podcast’s, but there’s a great one that I think you’d dig called: “You were wrong about” and they did a whole deep dive on Courtney and Kurt and it was fascinating. I’ll DM you the link if interested. It inspired an article I published last year on my “Miseducation of Courtney Love.”

I dig the books on entrepreneurs (like yourself!). I think that’s a great way to stay motivated and get ideas on how to streamline things. I’ve mentioned to you before I think it’s pretty rad you are creative and have the business mind because not everyone does!

2 Likes

I’m a Book of the Month devotee, and I keep all of my “to be read” books on a shelf in my bedroom. Here’s a shot of what’s there now:

My two favorite genres are romance and sci fi, and I’m currently most excited to read Dark Matter, Project Hail Mary, Malibu Rising, and The Holiday Swap.

2 Likes

@Lindsey-MSA Ah, I love this bookshelf!! I’m going to snap a pic of mine and share it later today :heart:

I enjoyed Malibu rising, plus I’m a sucker for colorful book covers.

Thank you but I really, really don’t have a business mind! LOL I’m artsy and creative but terrible with business. That’s why my bestie and I are partners in our polish company. She’s the financial and business half. Though I can do marketing because that’s creative.

2 Likes

Reckless Girls. I just started but I got sucked in quickly.

3 Likes

Ooooo this is right up my alley! I just put it on hold at the library :nerd_face:

1 Like

I got reckless girls for my January BOTM so I’m about to start that

1 Like

For cozy mysteries I’ve been into Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries - it’s an Australian series set in the 1920s and they’re smart and sweet books that are engaging but not too difficult.
I do prefer the TV series though since the storyline has a different direction and the visuals are STUNNING

I worked at a bookstore for a while so my book collection has gotten gigantic but I think up next is going to be a few Beckett plays!

3 Likes

Ok, first off, @comedytragedy HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :partying_face: Any unique birthday plans today?!

My bday is the 13th, and @Lindsey-MSA is also a fellow Capricorn! I’m going to be adding some cool things to the Astrology corner this week (if that happens to interest you!) so keep your eyes peeled :heart:

I’m going to check out Miss Fisher’s series as well. A good mystery is everything. I am more into horror myself, but any good horror or suspense writing, I think, has to weave a level of mystery that is intriguing and makes your mind work. I also love that you worked in a book store because, along with library’s it’s my favorite place to be :nerd_face:

I liked that @Lindsey-MSA shared her bookshelf so I wanted to share a pic of my main one:

I’ve organized it in kind of an odd way haha.
-The top shelf is “Women who inspire me” (my grandma, Dolly, fellow artists, and activists I work with)
-The second shelf is the “spooky section” with a few of my favorite children’s book illustrators
-Third is more of travel, science, inspo “self-helpish” section, haha

I’d love to see your book collection at some point!

2 Likes

Thanks :birthday:!! And happy almost birthday to you :tada: I think most people I know are January babies (and/or capricorns, I know a few December caps and a few January non-caps so it balances out)
Waking up to a Forum invite was a nice surprise!! I’m just hanging out at home today which is a welcome treat!

That’s a great way to organize! I’ve been meaning to grab Songteller, I just struggle buying books now that I don’t get a discount any more :joy: Did you hear she’s co-writing a mystery with, I think Patterson, or else JD Robb (Nora Roberts)? I’m pretty sure one of those two, definitely one of the book-a-month big names

My collection is mostly in milk cartons at the moment since I am sorting and redoing things (a process that may take months at the rate I get distracted :joy:) but I have bookshelves in my bedroom closet that I think are going to become a tiny library! My plan is to have one case of shows I’ve worked, plays, old books, and art books! And the other or more will be childhood books, fiction, non-fiction and textbooks. I might move them onto the main shelving in my room and hide other stuff in the closet, but I need a UV treatment for my window first since I don’t want to risk sun damage on them!

2 Likes

I’m currently reading People We Meet on Vacation, I really like it so far. My favorites from last year were The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and The Song of Achilles

1 Like

I LOVED People We Meet on Vacation!! Beach Read (also by Emily Henry) was also great. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love that your Forum invite arrived today! :partying_face:

I did NOT know about this mystery collab?!!!?? I’m extremely excited!! Songteller is wonderful! I highly recommend it. It’s beautiful and probably belongs on the coffee table but sometimes Wyatt (my pup can’t be trusted ha). There are all these rare beautiful photos, and I am a sucker for her fashion in general.

I like that you still have Childhood books too!! I also have textbooks I couldn’t part with from college. I bet you have some great Art History ones. That UV treatment is a good call, I’ve got floor-to-ceiling windows near that shelf, I didn’t even consider this!

1 Like

A history of wild places by Shea Earnshaw

2 Likes

Ah, I just read a little bit about this. It sounds very interesting, I’ve always had an interest in the origin of Fairytales in general. Very cool! @gnoheatherl

I’m half way through so will update you when I’m done!

1 Like

I just finished The Christmas Pig by J.K.Rowling, and she’s done it again- it’s such a cute story, very fun to read even for adults.

I’m also reading The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah, it’s a very powerful story. And if you read and liked Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, you’ll love this book, since it tells you about the struggles and life of generations.

2 Likes

Loved Pachinko, and The Four Winds is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.