Essential oils in skincare. What do you think?

I am currently dealing with some horrendous breakouts due to a glycolic acid sensitivity I developed. I am now trying to weed out any other potential aggressors and have noticed a fair amount of products contain essential oils. Anyone have any thoughts about these often included ingredients?

Oh no, I’m so sorry you’re going through that, @Snow. I’m no expert here, but I found this article which is interesting. It seems that there are definitely some oils which may not be great for your skin. (I found it especially interesting that tea tree oil can actually exacerbate the problems it’s frequently employed to treat if not used properly.) Maybe it’s worth checking to see if any of the oils listed are included in your facial products? I can tell you that oil is a big part of my skincare routine. I use Malin + Goetz Recovery Treatment Oil twice per day, every day. It’s a blend of oils designed to combat the signs of aging, and I find it to be very soothing. I blend a few drops into my morning SPF and evening moisturizer, and my sensitive skin seems to love it. Of course, not everyone responds to products and ingredients in the same way, and if your skin is out of balance due to the glycolic sensitivity, even relatively mild ingredients might be adding to the irritation. I hope you’re able to identify what’s going on and get some relief!

1 Like

Hi Snow,

Paula Begoun, skincare guru, has been mentioned in a different MSA Forum thread - she has a lot of fans here on the forum. Here’s a link to her thoughts on essential oils for skin. Because of her research and writing, I avoid essential oils like the plague! Hope it helps.

1 Like

Thanks @Lindsey-MSA for the recommendations! It has truly been a nightmare. My skin was decent and then I started doing high strength glycolic peels and WOW have I destroyed my skin. I can’t even believe what happened, so I’m sounding the alarm in case anyone else might be contemplating peels. I do remember that recovery oil you mentioned in a sub box from long ago… Causebox?!

Totally read that article! She has some great stuff on her website. Thank you! Do you have any particular products you like or brands? I really like Biossance myself.

1 Like

I use a glycolic toner from The Ordinary that I like, but I used it a few times in one day once and gave myself a nasty burn. (More isn’t always more is something I still sometimes forget…) Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully it helps other to avoid the same fate. :pray:

You’re right about the oil I mentioned! I first discovered it in Popsugar back in 2017:

@Snow I feel this on so many levels! I’m sorry you are dealing with this. When my skin acts a fool I literally never want to go out.

Dealing with cystic acne my entire life has truly been trial and error. As you described, it’s almost as if your body develops immunity or new sensitivity to products and ingredients when things were fine previously.

I’ll send you a list of products I’ve liked and their ingredients to give you some additional ideas :purple_heart:

1 Like

My skin has become more sensitive as I get older. Some of my all-time favorite products that work with my sensitivity are:

Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gentle Cleansing Lotion Fragrance-free
Skinceuticals CE Ferulic Serum
Drunk Elephant C-Firma Fresh Day Serum
Tula Sensitive Skin Treatment Calming Drops Vitamin B Serum
Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair and ANR Eye
La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer
Aquaphor Lip Repair, both with and without SPF 30
Indeed Labs Hydraluron + Tinted Lip Treatment
also certain The Ordinary products
and SkinFix
and Paula’s Choice brand

You mention you like Biossance. Paula Begoun rates the Biossance Squalane + Peptide Eye Gel as one of the best products. Must try that!

An interesting thing I’ve discovered is that just because I like one product from a brand, it doesn’t necessarily mean the brand’s other products will work for me. I really have to look at each product individually.

1 Like

I knew I developed a sensitivity to glycolic acid because I used a glycolic acid wipe on my neck and accidentally touched my jaw area…a few days later I had angry swollen cystic bumps all along my jawline. It actually changed my face shape!! :joy: I’m only laughing because they are finally starting to go down in size. I looked like I had the mumps or something ugh. This experience has COMPLETELY changed the way I look at skincare now. I just don’t want anyone else to destroy their face by ironically trying to “save” their face. Thanks for any product recommendations and for sharing in my pain!

1 Like

This is a great list @ggallagher71 ! I have never had to think twice about what I put on my face. I always bragged about my “concrete” skin. Well my tail is in between my legs now because of my horrid experience with too much acid. Thank you again for your recommendations. It has actually been refreshing to get rid of some of the nonsense I had going on in my bathroom (I should have reminded myself that my face isn’t a science experiment ugh).

1 Like