Nail Addicts

I thought I’d start this thread here about nails. I used to be an avid polish collector, as in over 100 bottles of nail polish, primarily Essie (because I loooove the square bottles and how easy they sit next to each other in storage, and don’t even get me started on the names of the colors!). The formula across the collections ranges (weird, but I love it), and my favorite shade is Turquoise and Caicos.

Recently, I’ve been into dip powder, but oiiiii! just doing my nails today made me realize how terrible it is for my nails. My nails feel thin and weak, and sensitive. I used a nail strengthener as a base, but I have a feeling my nails will break in the coming weeks as they grow and try to repair themselves.

I like to do my own nails when I have free time, and am in no way a nail professional, so please be kind!

Do we have any nail addicts on here? Share your pro-tips, or discuss nails - go!

4 Likes

@shar have you tried the Dermelect base coat that was in a FabFitFun box a couple of years ago? It’s my go to base coat because I feel it really strengthens my nails.

But while tooking it up, I found one you might want to try instead.

Dermelect Cosmeceuticals Launchpad Nail Strengthener

2 Likes

@shar your nails look fabulous!!

I have been using dip forever and have noticed the same thing about my nails.

I was reading about this brand recently Smith & Cult, has anyone tried? :

It’s by the creator of the cult-favorite Hard Candy from the 90s. It says it’s 8 free (which I guess excludes a lot of chemicals, I wasn’t even aware of)

@Kate.Kemp this shade reminded me of our glitter convo :heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

@shar , your nails look beautiful! I am envious of your skill.

I love to paint my nails, though I tend to stick with basic polishing and don’t get too fancy. I dress pretty basic in my day to day life, so I frequently like to choose polishes that are on the flashy side. My current favorites are from a brand called Holo Taco, which was started by a Canadian YouTuber. Because of my job as a a vet tech, I can never let my nails grow too long or they’ll impede my ability to do my job, so I have to work with what I’ve got! I’m a compulsive polish picker once it starts to chip, so if anyone has a lead on a really excellent top coat, I’m all ears!

2 Likes

Ready for a blast from the past? Okay, so Smith & Cult was featured waaaay back in the 2015 Popsugar Must Have Special Edition Box which is the first and only time I tried their polish. I remember really enjoying the formula, but I found the large round top a bit tricky to work with. Essie is my go-to brand, so I guess I’m used to a narrower wand handle.

popsugar-must-have-fall-2015-display

2 Likes

@bellium LOVE this glittery gold! Your nails look amazing too. I can assure you if I tried to paint my nails they would most likely not look anything like this :sob: I going to check out Holo Taco, the name itself is super cute.

@Lindsey-MSA you read my mind about the handle on Smith & Cult, I was wondering the same thing about the larger bottle top. I love Essie colors! I think I read somewhere that the shade Ballet Slippers is the most popular shade of all time? I love this blast from the past btw :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve had a few smith and cult polishes and really like them! I’ve become a huge Dashing Diva convert after trying them in Allure though- I can never go back to paying $50 for acrylics every 2-3 weeks at the salon now when $8 gives me gorgeous nails. I use the OPI Nail Envy treatment as a base coat and Essie Gel Setter as a top coat and these will last for 2+ weeks on me. Here’s the set I’m wearing now:

2 Likes

That pink!!! Omg!

And the cap comes off, I believe, there is probably a smaller cap underneath with the pretty gold one just for looks.

2 Likes

Your nails look fabulous! Holo Taco is awesome! If you like holos, have you tried ILNP? They have amazing polishes at a good price.

As for top coat, I swear by:
MARVEL LIQUID MACRO TOP COAT

I’ve been obsessed with it for years. It goes on thick (so it really protects your nails) but dries really quickly! It’s miraculous IMO.

2 Likes

Yes! I was about to mention this - the S&C tops are GINORMOUS but they do come off so you can just hold onto the black top thingie!

1 Like

This is kinda random but I just saw the OPI & XBOX are doing a global collab?!

I wish there were pictures of the actual shades, but pixel dust sounds like it’s right up my alley haha. Looks like it’ll hit Ulta then Target in February

2 Likes

@April-MSA Wow! I’d love an update when it comes out (or if you plan to get it!).

2 Likes

Sigh, as if right on cue, one of my nails broke!

What are some of your remedies?
Just clip it?
Superglue?

Something else? I’d love to hear your ideas!

2 Likes

@shar, I should probably let the experts weigh in, but I’m tempted to say glue it?! Just because your nails are so lovely and long. But if it hurts, maybe you have to cut it?!

I’m going to opt to phone a friend @Kate.Kemp I feel like she’s better in a crisis than me

And I will def be sharing pics of the line when I get them or if we get a preview! :hearts:

3 Likes

I do want to superglue it but I don’t have any on hand and not in a place to go buy some right now :cries:

1 Like

nooooooooooooo

2 Likes

Ok, have you tried the tea bag trick? Take your polish off, put a little square/rectangle of a tea bag over the tear, then nail glue. I assume super glue could work as well. Then paint over the nail as normal. The tea bag strengthens the bond and holds the nail together like a mini bandage.

Hope this works, let us know what you do.

Ps, I suppose a coffee filter could work as well!

3 Likes

I have no remedy. My nails kept doing this until I switched shapes to round/oval

1 Like

icegif-595

1 Like

So, @bellium I have to thank you! While getting the link for the top coat to share with you, I decided to grab a 4oz refill bottle for my bestie. I put it in my cart, and it said there was a sale on nail care items: buy 2 get 1 free! So I am now getting 3, 4oz refill bottles!! And I’ll use every drop. It’s seriously that good!

2 Likes