Signature section + swapper title

Is there an option for a “signature” section for users? For example, people could put their swap profile or a quote or meme, basically something they want to share. This would show up as part of their comment or post - let me know if this makes sense! @Lindsey-MSA

3 Likes

Hi @shar, I definitely understand what you mean. I just checked, and signatures are not an option that comes standard with our tech; however, it may be possible to add them with a plugin.

Personally, I’m not a fan of them. I think gifs and memes as signatures are loud and distracting, and since they appear at the bottom of every comment they start to feel repetitive. Text signatures can act as a speed bump when you’re scanning a thread. Essentially, I think signatures add unnecessary bulk to threads that detract from the conversation.

But that’s just me.

I know that some people really like them, and if the community feels strongly pro-signature, it’s something I can explore.

2 Likes

I understand! I just thought that having a place to throw your swap profile that’s easily accessible as opposed to users having to click through to your forum profile would be nice!

I hear you, @shar. Here’s a thought. I’m considering drafting a post to help guide users through setting up their profiles. I’ve noticed a lot of people haven’t done that yet, so it might be good to post a tutorial. I like that you’ve included your swap profile in the website section of your forum profile. What if I use this as a guide, and we try to get swappers to all link their swap profiles in the same place? It’s visible when I click on your username, so it’s pretty easy to access.

2 Likes

You could see about allowing custom Titles, they show up next to names and are smaller and grey in light or dark mode so they don’t have a visual pull to them but are there if you’re looking for them!

A “Swapper” title where my “Aficionado” is or something similar would let people know to check their profile for a swap link

It looks like you have a picture frame and :shield: symbol as an indicator of being MSA staff, so maybe a frame or symbol for swappers would be easier if that’s already an available feature

It looks like there is a memes thread already going, and maybe we should have a general chatting thread if there isn’t already one!

And I agree about the profile set up tutorial! @discobot doesn’t explain that super well

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Great idea, @comedytragedy! I’ve created a group called “MSA Swap Site Members,” which you’ll find by clicking the hamburger menu at the top right.

You should see a list of groups with a button to join the MSA Swap Site Members group.

Once you join, you’ll automatically have the “Swapper” title appear next to your username when you post:

What do you think of this solution? @shar

Also, if you’d like to see a general chat thread, please feel free to start one! You’re welcome to create new topics you’d like to see on the forum. :slight_smile:

Two things:

1. @Lindsey-MSA - I agree about no signature blocks. If I’m being completely honest, I don’t have a lot of free time and the idea of scrolling through extra “stuff” to see the real “stuff” is something that I wouldn’t be happy about. Keeping things streamlined is much more efficient. JMHO.
  2. @shar - to get directly to your profile, the URL should have /profile at the end instead of /swaps, so you may want to update that. I think you just land on the main swap page with the URL you have (I learned this when swapping with my Secret Santa Swapper, bc the URL was wonky there, so yay for another benefit of the Secret Santa Swap, lol).
3 Likes