Were parents the OG Subscription creators?

I started thinking the other day about the happiness of receiving a box from home while I was away at summer camp or homesick at college. They always involved LOTS of snacks, Seventeen magazine was a much-anticipated bonus. My grandma was always really great at including my favorite candy, she didn’t skimp on the treats like my mom sometimes did, throwing in a random bag of pretzels. Come on mom what’s that all about!

Anyway, my point is what is your first memory of receiving a personalized package that wasn’t for a specific holiday or birthday, and what goodies did you love getting inside?

1 Like

I haven’t thought about this in YEARS - I went to sleepaway camp a couple of years as a kid, and there was a coveted box for campers called “Sealed With A Kiss”. I recall it including a pillowcase and a marker pen for your bunk friends to sign, among other cute items. Just looked it up, and they actually began this service in 1984! They took a pause for the 2021 season, but indicate on their site that they’ll be back. It wasn’t exactly a subscription, but it had all the feels, and as a camper, you were the luckiest kid in the world to receive a package at all!
Boys_Care_Pkg_250

3 Likes

@Samantha-MSA Oh my gosh I literally just shrieked with delight when I saw the Mad Libs :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is so rad, 1984!! Oh man, I love this. I feel like I remember trying to create some version of the pillowcase signing. Love this! I’m going to ask my mom why I didn’t get one of these lol

ermahgerd-summer-camp

2 Likes

:joy: Go easy on your mom with this one. My grandparents sent this to me because I wrote my entire family saying, “Hello, this is Sam… have you all forgotten about me? I believe stamps are still only 29¢…”

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That’s amazing. Here’s a photo of me getting dropped off at camp:

3 Likes

:joy: :rofl:

The place to be is at one’s computer, setting esoteric away messages with fancy fonts on AIM, and all the cool kids know it.

2 Likes

I went to summer camp for six summers and I loved it. I did always feel disappointed I never got a package though! Especially with those catalogs of basically premade packages parents could send to their kids- subscription boxes just waiting for a recipient and my parents didn’t get me one :triumph:

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad, @Jessica-MSA. Looking back, I’m pretty sure the boy I had a crush on at camp only pretended to like me because he wanted my snacks :joy:

#embarassing

Oh, it was always some emo lyrics on the AIM away message.

Gotta keep em guessing! :rofl:

1 Like

Okay, so I missed out on the whole summer camp thing (for the most part… I went to girl scout camp one summer but it was only for a long weekend), but I got some awesome care packages during college. Is this why I love subscriptions so much? My mom stopped curating boxes for me so I had to find someone else to do it? :rofl:

3 Likes

tumblr_mad8b7qk8R1rtf89b540

1 Like

Hahaha, I feel like this makes total sense! It’s logical that our mutual love for subscriptions was inspired or came from these great memories. I only went to girl scout camp once. Actually, I don’t think I ever graduated from being a Brownie.

I still have a big attachment to hand-written letters in general. I have at least half of the notes and journals my friends and I would write in during school (that weren’t confiscated by a teacher) Ugh this is reminding me of the time our band teacher stole our latest journal and read excerpts to the class!

Sorry tangent…I’m known to do that :rofl:

2 Likes

So I didn’t go to summer camp, but I have a teen going to college WAY TOO SOON, and I am already buying them sub boxes as gifts … which only makes me think about ways where sub boxes can be a “Mom thought of me”!

4 Likes

So many campers in here! I never went to camp, (except for one odd week when I got to go to Space Camp because I had saved up all my birthday money!) I’m sure I got boxes in college from my mom, but I actually don’t remember if I did (not surprising considering college was a blur!). But when we lived in Qatar my mom would send boxes with all the stuff I couldn’t get. Mainly Halloween and Easter decorations or anything that was quadruple the price over there. She always surprised me with cute things and I loved it!

4 Likes

Ooooo space camp sounds rad! It’s making me think of that magic school bus episode where I think they get lost in space?!

1 Like

As someone who grew up in Florida, not far from the “space coast,” I had a lot of friends who were lucky enough to go to space camp. Never made it myself, but I bet it was a hoot! Weird confession: I absolutely love astronaut ice cream. Anyone else remember that? It tastes like childhood to me.

Are there any subs that specialize in 90’s nostalgia?

1 Like

Oh my gosh, the astronaut ice cream! Yes! I remember really wanting to like it :joy:

So, I was really hype when I say Culture Fly had a SNICK, and I think an old-school Nickelodeon box? I’ve seen a few “mystery” boxes on Etsy and other sites, but I’ve been a bit skeptical of it.

This kind of got my wheels turning because I have a 90s newsletter I run and I kept thinking what if I could curate a cool box of rare 90s nostalgia to go with it for readers.

Butttt if anyone knows of a great 90s nostalgia subscription, or has tried the Culture Fly ones let me know!

Good memories. I also remember visiting day when they brought so much fruit that we got sick eating it all! Lol I also remember back when monthly book boxes and music/video monthly boxes started. That’s my first memory of subscription type boxes!

3 Likes

Whatttttt @pamelaburns2 there was a music video monthly box?! :heavy_heart_exclamation: I need to google this immediately :female_detective:

My mom would get so annoyed because I started obsessively recording music videos on MTV, VH1 & MuchMusic (I have a thing for Canada, don’t ask :laughing:)

She was like “How many times do you need to record Spiderwebs by No Doubt?”

Um, a lot mom leave me alone.

2 Likes

I’m talking like 35-40 years ago! Lol CDs, DVDs, maybe even cassettes I think. Now specifically music videos.

3 Likes