What are your resolutions for 2022?

Did you make any resolutions for the new year? Share them here!

In the year 2000, my senior year of high school, I resolved to never make another resolution! LOL And so far I’ve stuck to it!

However, I’ve decided that this year I will try to be less of a “doormat” to certain people in my life. I will stand up for myself, at least a little more. Baby steps!

What about you, @Lindsey-MSA ? What are your resolutions?

3 Likes

@Kate.Kemp My resolution this year is to eat more vegetables. I’ve been treating cheese like its own food group lately, so I’m working on making my diet a little more balanced. :slight_smile: :broccoli:

3 Likes

@Kate.Kemp, I am going to try to save more and spend less, which is so much harder than it sounds. I want everything. :joy:

2 Likes

Cheese isn’t a food group??

1 Like

I’m in a couple of “No-Buy” Facebook groups. It’s not helping! LOL I wish you luck; if you find things that work, please share!

3 Likes

I don’t make resolutions exactly but I do set an overall theme or intention for the year. This year, it’s “discipline”. I don’t mean it in the way of punishment or rule-following, but in the sense of training and order.

The lockdowns made me a bit complacent and honestly, kind of lazy! I want to pursue my passions and interests again but my skills aren’t as sharp as they used to be and, rather than just get started again, I keep putting off doing things because “it’s hard”. So I want to cultivate discipline. Doing things not just when I feel excited or motivated to do them, but regularly, because they are good for me (stuff like working out and working on my art) or add order to my life (things like paying better attention to my budget/spending).

I guess this is kind of boring now that I type it all out! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@laurenhardt, I don’t think this is boring at all! I find it really inspirational.
I think discipline is at the heart of what I am trying to do with saving more and spending less - I like that you are applying it to many facets of your life.
Welcome to the forum, by the way!!
Angie

3 Likes

I don’t have a resolution as much as I have a mantra I am trying to live by this year, but I haven’t told anyone because I’m scared resolutions are like birthday wishes and if I tell people they won’t come true.

4 Likes

@laurenhardt, I love this!!

I feel like this is the type of resolution that will enhance all areas of your life. What kind of art do you like to do (if you don’t mind me asking)? :hearts:

1 Like

I am just sitting down to do my January budget this morning! I am a bit overwhelmed because I kind of just had a spending frenzy in December and didn’t really look at where my money was going or if I was making wise purchases. I don’t necessarily mean “wise” like reasonable; I’m all for frivolity at times. But I notice during the holiday season I buy a lot of stuff I don’t even really want… like, an indoor herb garden? I don’t need that. Return. LOL.

How was your holiday shopping/budget? What has spurred your interest in saving more and spending less? Are you saving for something specific?

1 Like

@April-MSA I mostly do floral watercolors. I’m not particularly good, especially as compared to a skilled artist, but I do well enough that people that don’t make art think it’s great. :joy: I don’t want to sell my art or anything, I just really enjoy it and want to get better at it because getting better is just fun! I feel really proud of myself when I do it.

My secret wish is to be an art teacher in a non-traditional setting, like a homeschool co-op or a community class that’s offered for free at a local rec center or something. Kids are the best artists and they inspire me so much.

Do you enjoy any kind of art or crafting? Or do you have some other fun non-art related passion?

3 Likes

I hear you about December! I have been an over spender on and off for years. I have a hard time saying no to pretty things I don’t need! For instance, why would someone who doesn’t really wear makeup need a bunch of pretty eyeshadow palettes??
Anyway, I realize that I am getting older and probably should be thinking more about saving for the future. Retirement is only 17 years away and if the past 17 years is any indicator, the time will go quickly!
For the last several years, I have kept a spreadsheet of the entire year that has each pay period with my planned expenses (plus savings) calculated. As I buy more or charge more, the amounts get added to the spreadsheet. I do this reckoning daily. It has kept me from over spending into the negative by looking at the totals throughout the year and making sure it is always positive. Now I am trying to not over spend in the positive (if that makes sense) - my new thought is if I have money, it does not need to burn a hole in my pocket!

3 Likes

@laurenhardt that sounds really beautiful! I think in any creative medium we all tend to be a bit hard on ourselves (I bet a lot of people enjoy your art :hearts:)

I know when I was growing up we’d always play “School” because my grandma was a 1st-grade teacher so she had all the cool supplies, and I LOVED finding a craft for my pretend students to do :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

So, for me my passion has always been writing and I’m grateful I get to do it through a lot of different mediums but I loveeee writing fiction and creative non-fiction. I’ve been so inspired lately, it’s been a lot of fun. I have a similar attitude to you in that, I feel that if I’m really enjoying what I’m writing, like I look forward to it, get excited about it every day that’s all that matters. Other people liking it is of course validating and feels great, but bottom line we gotta enjoy our creative outlets for ourselves, which it sounds like you do! :hearts:

4 Likes

In the last two years my mobility has decreased tremendously due to injured knees. The lack of ease with mobility has had an effect on my spirit. I aim to increase mobility in 2022 because I’m a firework display that needs not only a spark but a full on extravaganza! :fireworks:

3 Likes

Oh my goodness I love this so much!

giphy

Have you ever tried Tai Chi? It’s low-impact, great for balance, and there’s a meditative quality that’s really relaxing. I’m a huge fan. Not sure if it’s a good option considering your knee injury, but it might be worth looking into!

1 Like

@Lindsey-MSA what a great idea! I never have and should try it. Thanks!:raised_hands:t4:

1 Like

My goal for this year is to be healthier. After reading everyone’s resolutions, you all have just inspired me to lift weights and go for a walk today when all I really want to do is “meh” around.

@angelatrupo I am glad to see that I am not the only one who buys makeup just for the packaging and doesn’t actually wear it. I’ve gotten much better about this, but have storage boxes full of unused makeup. Not sure what to do with it, tossing it seems a waste. Donate it? I always tell myself that I should keep it just in case…

Another resolution I have is to reduce and stay on top of clutter.

2 Likes

What a lovely phrase, and way of seeing yourself! I might steal this as a mantra! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This clutter thing… man, oh man, it’s got me tied up. The last few years I have become more aware of (and worried about) my consumerism, both because it’s not always great for my finances like @angelatrupo is talking about, but also because it’s not great for the environment and I feel so much guilt about all the stuff I have.

It’s really hard, because I think the clutter, and the spending, and my overall health are interconnected. I tend to shop more when I’m depressed or lonely or bored, I tend to be those things when I’m not taking the best care of my body and mind (seeing friends, working out, doing my art), then I end up with a bunch of junk I don’t really need, and it costs me money and when I finally snap out of it, I realize it is stuff I’ll never use and now I have to throw it away or donate it, which just creates so much guilt!!

And I understand the irony of saying this on a subscription box forum, believe me. It’s one of the reasons I quit lifestyle boxes like Causebox and FFF. There were regularly a number of things in each box that I didn’t even want, and I knew this when I ordered because I could see the spoilers, but I just wanted something to distract me from what was happening in 2020.

What ways are you staying on top of your clutter? Have you felt anything like this with your sub boxes?

3 Likes