What is your go-to resource (outside of MSA) for beauty & product reviews?

I was curious what resources members rely on for beauty advice or product reviews, in addition to the reviews on MSA?

For me, Allure (the publication and digital space) has always been a gold standard for me to confirm the best of products from reviews on MSA.

The Violet Grey Blog is another great one I stumbled across recently.

For Podcasts, I’ve been a long-time fan of “The Skinny Confidential: Him & Her Podcast” I’ve been listening to them since 2016.

I was wondering what hidden gems members might recommend?

2 Likes

Instagram, honestly.

1 Like

I’ve been a big fan of Paula Begoun for years. I discovered her when I accidentally found her first book at the bookstore many, many years ago. I followed her advice diligently, and it honestly saved my face. I know her company sold to Unilever last year, and many people seemed unhappy about that, but I still buy her products and use her Beautypedia for skin care and makeup advice because that advice still works for me.

5 Likes

@Renee, how did you know I just ordered this :laughing:

I kept seeing it on so many best-of lists that I decided to.

Was it the “Don’t Go To The Cosmetic Counter Without Me Book”? I’ve heard it’s a classic.

@Jessica-MSA is there anyone in particular on Instagram that you really like, or find that their advice is usually spot-on for you? I find myself not always gravitating to more of the popular experts or influencers, just because I feel like my skin reacts poorly to most things :laughing:

1 Like

Yay, Paula Begoun! When I was a kid, my mother brought home Blue Eyeshadow Should Be Illegal (it was the 80s :laughing:). I enjoyed and used her advice but wasn’t into skin care enough to keep up with her. Happy to find out about Paula’s Choice! I’ll have to take a look at this Beautypedia, so thanks for pointing the way.

1 Like

I second this. Beautypedia.com is wonderful! The problem is the “New Reviews” tab has remained the same for a very long time. Wondering whether they are still adding to the site? Even so, I use Beautypedia at least a few times a week for everything that is already there.

3 Likes

I lurk on MUAontheCheap and BeautyBoxes on reddit

5 Likes

Ok, I just went down several rabbit holes with Beautypedia, and I’m really enjoying. I liked the blog articles I read so far, especially the ones on Acne and milia (ugh when this occurs on my chin area I have a not so minor melt-down). I am a bit research obsessed, so I enjoy seeing all these medical journals listed :disguised_face:

@echo I love that title of the book, it’s giving me flashbacks to an old roommate who would wear white liquid eyeliner and white matte eye shadow up to her brow bone. She was gorgeous so more power to her that she pull it off but if I did I’d be lookin real rough let me tell ya ha.

@comedytragedy I lurk on Quora but not for beauty. It’s like enjoy a weird night time bed story from that forum :laughing:

3 Likes

I usually go to several sources if I’m interested in certain product, I try to read bunch of comments on the websites where a certain product is sold.
I also watch reviews on YouTube.
When it comes to makeup I like reading temptalia.com blog, I’ve been reading Christine’s reviews for more than a decade and her reviews are honest and trustworthy.
For fragrances I hightly recommend fragrantica.com , it’s a community-driven website with a forum and it’s always up to date with all recent fragrance releases.

3 Likes

I love fragrantica!
I don’t use temptalia as much, but they are the most consistent at listing pan sizes and cost per gram/ounce even when that info is missing from the brand site

1 Like

Same! She really helped me out of the acne rut that plagued me for years.

1 Like

@jbuchheitblank first, just wanted to give you a quick welcome to the Forum! We are so glad you are here! :partying_face:

I have been a lifelong acne sufferer myself, would you recommend one of her books or particular for me to start with :star_struck:

It’s so nice to see other Paula’s Choice users here!

@April-MSA I use the C15 Booster! I like that it gives my face a healthy glow without making my face look shiny. (I have oily skin so my battle with shine is always ongoing! LOL) Some people complain because once you open this bottle the contents do start to oxidize, so the product goes from clear to yellow-ish. It still works the same, but the color change bothers some people. Also, that book was my bible when I found it. The info is mostly on her website now, so I don’t buy her books anymore, but that book was a lifesaver for my cystic acne and oily prone skin when I found it.

2 Likes

@April-MSA Thank you for the welcome!

And we’re watching the righteous gemstones and would love to know what episode you are in! You’ll have to keep us posted :slight_smile:

So, Paula’s suggestion is basically this and it has worked for me without fail. 1. Use a gentle cleanser 2. Use BHA (Salicylic acid) - this is the product she is famous for though you can use another brand if you’d like. A lot of people like her liquid version, I prefer the lotion version because it seems to last longer and I don’t have to use a cotton ball 3. Benzoyl peroxide - I just use Target’s up&up brand. And that’s pretty much it. I also do a moisturizer afterwards, but the BHA and the BP help to keep your skin bacteria free and clear.

A word of warning that BP does bleach, so you’ll have to be a bit careful with your towels, sheets, clothes, etc. if you decide to try it. Good luck! It’s so nice to be acne-free, would never go back! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Renee ok great, I like the sound of a healthy glow because I have weirdly dry skin prone to cystic acne. Yeah, I feel that oxidation in terms of Vitamin C is unavoidable sadly. I’ve felt that other vitamin C brands have “turned” quicker than others but again, it also may have just been an older product I ended up getting. Regardless, excited for my Paula’s Choice journey! :dizzy:

@jbuchheitblank Ah, you are the best thank you for this breakdown, thank you thank you! :heart:
I like the sound of the lotion version too honestly!

So, I ended up being on the first episode when they are at the country club, I’m one of the croquette girls and get to walk by John Goodman (Which made my life because I loved him as Dan Conner) It’s my two seconds of fame haha I can message you to clip. That was very kind of you to ask!! :heart:

1 Like

@April-MSA We can re-watch Episode 1 and look for you, but if you can send the clip that would be awesome as well! :slight_smile:

And you’re welcome :slight_smile:

Oh, and anything extra I put on my face (serums, oils), goes on after the BP, but before the moisturizer.

1 Like

@April-MSA I saw it last night. You are on the right, correct? Do they really have croquet at that club? That is so “Heathers” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I go to what’s in my jar. It breaks down product ingredients, tells you if it delivers on its claims, highlights what is potentially a skin irritant, and gives you dupes for the product you’re looking up. And you can create your skin care regiment with all your products. And tracks your progress. It also analyzes your regiment for you. It’s a pretty helpful site, although a bit tedious sometimes. IT wise, they could definitely improve their interfaces and site flows

1 Like

Personaly I also like Hello Subscription

2 Likes

Hi ladies. Loving all these new resources you have added in this thread! Thank you! I have another beauty product resource to add. Check out:

It doesn’t give product reviews, per se, but it gives an ingredient breakdown for beauty products, tells you what the function of each ingredient is, and gives a rating for many of the ingredients (the ones that have studies done on them). Hope it helps!
Gina

1 Like